Author Topic: What Fits in a "Fit": Fackin' amazing.  (Read 1120 times)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
What Fits in a "Fit": Fackin' amazing.
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »
I recently had a chance to test out exactly what a properly designed sub-compact could hold when pushed.  As part of blending households, my gf sold her queen sized platform bed on kijiji.  The woman who bought it was helping her daughter set up her first place on her own.  They arrived in a Honda Fit.

The bed has the aforementioned platform, plus a back unit for storage and two night tables.  The base of the platform consists of a rectangular box with interlocking cross pieces providing extra support.  The platform itself splits into two pieces, each of which shares a single front trim plus some side trim on each half, giving it a finished look to match the wood grain of the other pieces.

On to the Fit. We realized that it would take at least two trips.  They lowered the back seat and slid one half of the platform in between the two front seats.  Along with that piece, we put in both night tables.  That was trip #1.

The second trip required that the front passenger seat be put flat as well.  This time the car held the other half of the platform, the rear storage unit and most of the remaining pieces.  The woman's son came with his Honda, a Civic, to get the final bunch of pieces.

I was suitably impressed.   :o :thumbup: :bow:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Northernridge

Re: What Fits in a "Fit": Fackin' amazing.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »
Good post and great to see what clever design can accommodate…and maybe a reality check on what enough cargo room means.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »
^^^

absolutely.
with only 1 or 2 people in a car, it's amazing what a hatch can do.

The stuff I've done with both the Matrix and the Yaris driving alone has been nothing short of amazing and funny. 

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »
I'm assuming this is just bedframes right?
I don't think you can fit a queen size mattress into the Fit or can you?  :o

For reference I was able to fit a single-size mattress and bedframe into my CX-5.
Lengthwise, I can't really fit a queen size frame; unless I have them at a diagonal.
Just too long.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »
At 60 × 80 inches I don't think a Queen sized mattress would fit in any car, let alone many if any SUVs.

I used to love going to Ikea with my Mazda 6-Wagon and pulling up beside people having troubles putting stuff in their SUV while my wagon swallowed it with ease.

EDIT:
I've posted this picture before. Camping in the back of my buddy's Rondo. Has more room than some of my tents.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:39:28 pm by quadzilla »