Author Topic: Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer  (Read 13093 times)

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:51 pm »
"An Edmonton woman’s lack of experience in buying a car ended up costing her thousands of dollars, at least until she made a call to CBC's Go Public."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-dealership-exploited-naivet%C3%A9-says-car-buyer-1.2424127

lets go for incredibly-naive instead .. which doesn't make it look any better for the actions of the dealership....

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »
I'm trying to follow this; she bought a 2013 Corolla, took it to the service dept to talk about the paint coming off the sills, and they talked her into buying a 2014?

First off, she shouldn't be allowed out in public alone, she's a danger to herself.

Second, the dealership employees all qualify for the Senate or the PMO, they've got just the right ethics.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:24:40 pm »
Sounds like one of those people that needs warning stickers so they dont eat rat poison or try to stop a chainsaw with their bare hands. I dont care what the dealer did, if shes that stupid, its her fault. Honestly, do you know anyone whos "accidentally" purchased a car?? Some people......  ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »
 :shake: FFS

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:32:18 pm »
What?, an unethical, sleazy car dealership? ...."gambling at Rick's?  I'm shocked!...shocked I say."  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:34:16 pm »
C'mon folks,

Nobody is born knowing anything, let alone how to negotiate a purchase such as a car.  She is from another country, with different ways according to the article.  The onus should have been on the dealer to do the right thing, which was to fix the door and leave it at that. 

Yes, she is naive.  That does not excuse the dealer's behaviour.  Doesn't anybody wonder about that initial handoff from service to sales?  That should never have happened, period.

As far as educating the customer goes, once she has been around the ol' shopping block a few times then of course, it's on her.  BUT, how is this done the first time if nobody is willing to step up to the plate?  That is the question before us.

Perhaps the real take-home message here is:  Always go with a trusted friend and assume you are going to be fleeced otherwise.  Sad but perhaps true.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:36:50 pm by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:18 pm »
What?, an unethical, sleazy car dealership? ...."gambling at Rick's?  I'm shocked!...shocked I say."  ;D

Cannot lay the blame on the dealer fully....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:23 pm »

Sure you can. They sound like a bunch of douchebags. Interesting how the deal was final......... until CBC called them. Then it was like cockroaches scattering when someone turns on the light. I especially like how they offered to return her car and cancel the deal provided she stopped talking to the press  ::)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »

Sure you can. They sound like a bunch of douchebags. Interesting how the deal was final......... until CBC called them. Then it was like cockroaches scattering when someone turns on the light. I especially like how they offered to return her car and cancel the deal provided she stopped talking to the press  ::)

Im sorry, but if you just keep signing papers blindly, thats nobodies fault but yours.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »

Nobody is born knowing anything, let alone how to negotiate a purchase such as a car. 

True, but by the time you're old enough to drive, you generally have developed the ability to say, "no, I didn't come here to buy a new car".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »

Nobody is born knowing anything, let alone how to negotiate a purchase such as a car. 

True, but by the time you're old enough to drive, you generally have developed the ability to say, "no, I didn't come here to buy a new car".

^^^ Exactly. Im not the one to defend most dealers shady SOPs, but in this case....she literally signed her life away without reading the fine print.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:23 pm »
the dealer acted very unethically. i would feel sick if i ever heard about any dealer i was affiliated with doing something like this...

with that being said, they are there to sell cars. they managed to sell this lady a car. and since they only have her side of things (a side which obviously has some issues with communication), i can't totally blame them for it. i've had many service customers come up irate at some minor service issue and talk about trading it in... i'll go over their options, but once the customer sees any kind of crazy numbers or payments, they say, no thanks, i'll just fix it.... and i say, good idea. if i ever had one say, ok, let's do that... i'll say alright, let me get you coffee while i do up the paperwork and show you all the numbers. who am i to tell someone NOT to buy a car?

... don't think that's what happened here... but just saying it could happen.

also, she obviously had bought a car under a year earlier... probably at that particular dealer. so it couldn't be totally new to her.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 05:00:38 pm »
As much as I dislike some dealer sleazy tactics if that woman is mentally competent and not handicapped in some way its not the dealer's fault. Her son told her "You paid too much". This was her "first time" buying a car. What was stopping her from having someone accompany her to the dealer who DID have experience? I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing anyone would think that a dealer was simply trying to "help" them and that anyone could be sheltered enough to think otherwise.

If you know you have troubles saying no take a buddy with you otherwise its no one's fault but your own.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 05:02:46 pm »
the dealer acted very unethically. i would feel sick if i ever heard about any dealer i was affiliated with doing something like this...

with that being said, they are there to sell cars. they managed to sell this lady a car. and since they only have her side of things (a side which obviously has some issues with communication), i can't totally blame them for it. i've had many service customers come up irate at some minor service issue and talk about trading it in... i'll go over their options, but once the customer sees any kind of crazy numbers or payments, they say, no thanks, i'll just fix it.... and i say, good idea. if i ever had one say, ok, let's do that... i'll say alright, let me get you coffee while i do up the paperwork and show you all the numbers. who am i to tell someone NOT to buy a car?

also, she obviously had bought a car under a year earlier... probably at that particular dealer. so it couldn't be totally new to her.

might be the dealer... but someone who does not have the slightest idea what they are signing for should NOT have the ability to sign anything let alone drive.

it's like that old article about an old lady who's on welfare who bought a brand new BMW M6..     dealer an as$0hle?  yeah.. but that old lady should not even have had passed the credit check..    but that someone like these really really shouldn't be allowed to drive.

like tooscoop says, we have one side of the story (though i can believe edmontonians being shady  ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;) )

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 05:07:21 pm »

might be the dealer... but someone who does not have the slightest idea what they are signing for should NOT have the ability to sign anything let alone drive.

it's like that old article about an old lady who's on welfare who bought a brand new BMW M6..     dealer an as$0hle?  yeah.. but that old lady should not even have had passed the credit check..    but that someone like these really really shouldn't be allowed to drive.

like tooscoop says, we have one side of the story (though i can believe edmontonians being shady  ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;) )

Were not shady....I prefer creative and entrepreneurial  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 05:22:55 pm »
Working with newcomer families, I've seen many businesses take advantage of their lack of cultural understanding and language barriers.  It's quite possible they presented the new car purchase as some form of "solution" to the problem with her present car.  I've seen this happen surprisingly often, primarily to women, and more so to women that might be at a disadvantage in some way.

Some time ago I was at a Subaru dealer and though the woman's OBW only had 60K on it, they made out like it needed thousands in repairs (timing belt, and on and on) and were working very hard to get her into the showroom.  Why?  Steal her trade from her (thousands and thousands to be made on the used car) plus try to squeeze her for a bunch of money on a new car.  Luckily they failed.

It's not an uncommon tactic.  One most around here wouldn't be subject to, being quite knowledgeable about service/repairs, etc.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 05:49:58 pm »

^^^ Exactly. Im not the one to defend most dealers shady SOPs, but in this case....she literally signed her life away without reading the fine print.

But some people when it comes to the mechanicals of a car believe their dealer unflinchingly.  Because they don't know any better.  I mean..we have a forum of car nuts here and only a select few will tackle something as simple as brakes.

I could really see someone totally clueless about a car being told they need a new one, it's too far gone, or whatever trick they used to hose her.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »
Not just limited to cars. People still continue to buy BOSE speaker/stereo systems for their home despite all the information out there.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 06:47:58 pm »
Scumbags taking advantage of idiots.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 06:49:11 pm »
Scumbags taking advantage of idiots.

Similar to your job, isn't it?   :rofl2:

Sorry....couldn't help myself.   :rofl: