Author Topic: Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer  (Read 13073 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:31 pm »
No. Sometimes we take advantage of other scumbags.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 07:07:33 pm »
No. Sometimes we take advantage of other scumbags.

I guess I should have put rich idiots?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 07:07:51 pm »
Second, the dealership employees all qualify for the Senate or the PMO, they've got just the right ethics.

Bingo!

Why these low lifes are still allowed to add items not part of a manufacturer's offering makes me wonder whose side our consumer protection agencies are on.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »
I don't discriminate.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:10:46 pm »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 07:30:51 pm »
Not just limited to cars. People still continue to buy BOSE speaker/stereo systems for their home despite all the information out there.

Normally, i would agree with that statement, but I am sitting here listening to the Bose wave radio that my mother gave me when she moved into a home a while back and i gotta say, I'm impressed with its GULP....build quality if nothing else.  It's one of the original waves pre-cd days...i think they bought it in the early 80's and it still sounds good.  It has aux inputs, so I hook my old sony dvd player up to it and bring it out on the deck in the summer to have something to listen to there and it easily fill my large backyard with music!  Even my audiophile bose-hating friends were impressed.  But, yeah most Bose stuff is overpriced bunk!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:43:39 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »
We don't have all the details / other side.
Maybe the woman asked to get a new car but is covering up about it after she realized the cost?

Remember that cars are different than goods from Walmart where you can return with a FULL refund if you are not happy with it.
Maybe she thought she could do that with her first Corolla.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
We don't have all the details / other side.
Maybe the woman asked to get a new car but is covering up about it after she realized the cost?

Remember that cars are different than goods from Walmart where you can return with a FULL refund if you are not happy with it.
Maybe she thought she could do that with her first Corolla.

Remember when GM was doing that?  Or was it Chrysler?  Return it after 30 days if you didn't like it.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:21 pm »
Not just limited to cars. People still continue to buy BOSE speaker/stereo systems for their home despite all the information out there.

Normally, i would agree with that statement, but I am sitting here listening to the Bose wave radio that my mother gave me when she moved into a home a while back and i gotta say, I'm impressed with its GULP....build quality if nothing else.  It's one of the original waves pre-cd days...i think they bought it in the early 80's and it still sounds good.  It has aux inputs, so I hook my old sony dvd player up to it and bring it out on the deck in the summer to have something to listen to there and it easily fill my large backyard with music!  Even my audiophile bose-hating friends were impressed.  But, yeah most Bose stuff is overpriced bunk!

But would you pay $600 and up for one?  :stick:  I have nothing against BOSE except their high prices for just ok stuff.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 11:39:44 pm »
If you have a Bose system in your car and ever need to replace speakers, head unit, anything, it has to be Bose, or you pretty much have to rip out or abandon the old speaker wires and install new. That's one upside of me not getting a Touring package, not having to deal with the Bose system.

As for this lady, she was probably lead to believe the dealer was doing an exchange not a trade. And what kind of shoes does she wear when she drives?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 05:45:58 am »

But would you pay $600 and up for one?  :stick:  I have nothing against BOSE except their high prices for just ok stuff.

Hell no, at least not now, but we're talking 30 years ago and if remember correctly there was nothing else available at the time and it's still going strong.  But, yeah their new stuff is mostly overpriced and poory built.  A co-worker bought a complete Bose surround system as a boxing day bash special and it was mostly junk in a few short years.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 07:30:29 am »
BOSE - Better Off Something Else

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 11:27:38 am »
i remember those little cube speakers they used to have for home entertainment systems... i always was amazed at the sound of those little things.

but other than a cd/clock/radio, and maybe some headphones, i've stayed away.

anywho, this lady is tough... i've dealt with enough people who get irate and start complaining in the service department about something and insist it gets fixed... look at this case; it was an issue that was not warranty at all... not a case where you are going to do goodwill to paint a door sill on a car you don't make money on... and she was probably insisting on it being taken care of.

we often get people who just complain until things get done. sometimes though, when nothing can really be done, you throw whatever you can at the wall and see what sticks. signing a new deal gets rid of the paint issue and probably was the only way to get rid of it without her paying any money that day. and as we've discovered on here, soooo many customers only see what they pay up front, and ignore the monthly/bi-weekly increase because it seems minimal. never do they do the math and figure out just how much it actually is costing them.

and again.. they say in the article... she bought the car at that dealership under a year earlier... she therefore has just as much buying experience as many canadians. culture, gender, language... no they shouldn't be taken advantage of, but stupidity, naivete, ingnorance... have at 'er. maybe it will help get rid of those mentalities and make you realize there won't always be someone around to get you out of the mess you created.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 11:54:13 am »
It's universally understood that it's the salesman/saleswoman's job to sell. Can't cry foul for that.

Saying that this customer is naive is charitable.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »
It's universally understood that it's the salesman/saleswoman's job to sell. Can't cry foul for that.

And the service dept's job is to fix things.  Not to push her into the sales office because of an issue with a 1 year old car.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »
sounds like there was no serviceable issue. her either size or physical ability was causing a section of paint to get worn/rubbed off...

maybe direct her to the gym rather than the sales department i guess?

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »
sounds like there was no serviceable issue. her either size or physical ability was causing a section of paint to get worn/rubbed off...

I dunno, she doesn't look that huge in the picture. She also said the door on the first car didn't open wide enough, so it was awkward to get in and out, and that's how the paint got scratched. It sounded like the door on the second car opened wider, so maybe there was a legitimate warranty fix to be done on the first car.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »

:nono: She might be 220-240lb. If a man weighed that much, no one would blink an eye.

I remember the story of an Edmonton Kia dealer that blamed a woman's weight for her Rio's alignment going out of whack every few months. I don't think she was even 200 lb. Ridiculous. Would they tell me to lose weight? I'm 215 lb.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 03:46:43 pm »
i didn't mean for it to be a derogatory comment about her size... couldn't care less... but the issue was a section of paint was being worn off by how she entered the car. she blamed the door... i would be willing to be that the new car (the exact same car.. a 2013 corolla) has doors that open any differently. so she needs to either change her size or her physical ability in order to not need to slide across the paint.

or in another 9 months, she'll be in to service to complain about a worn section of paint.

at some point you have to realize, IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT! CHANGE HOW YOU GET IN THE CAR. the world has to stop changing for those with an issue... no one else seems to have a problem with the door sill, so it's her.

don't care if she's overweight, lazy, or "differently abled".. hell.. don't care if it's actually a design flaw. don't buy it then.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »

:nono: She might be 220-240lb. If a man weighed that much, no one would blink an eye.

I remember the story of an Edmonton Kia dealer that blamed a woman's weight for her Rio's alignment going out of whack every few months. I don't think she was even 200 lb. Ridiculous. Would they tell me to lose weight? I'm 215 lb.

i would.   if you were 6 ft plus, even 230lbs doesn't look that fat.   but if i were that weight, i would be WIIIIIIDE.

and the story you are thinking of, wasn't even a story.    KIA suggested the woman to sit in the car while they do the alignment, the woman got offended and called Global news. (at the time, i recall reading she was more than 200 lbs)

KIA Rio of the time had a max passenger cabin weight of something like 400 lbs.  (my honda fit is 440lbs)  so technically, i can't have 3 of my friends (of same weight, 150lbs) with me in the Fit.

these cars weren't built like tanks, like germans are where compact sedan (like my 3 series) weight 3000+ lbs.   it's very light, cheaply built cars with small springs.

like you say, you weigh 215, wouldn't you expect to have to sit in when you align Mitsu that new small car thing?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D