Author Topic: Lincoln Drops Details On 2015 MKC Compact Utility  (Read 6648 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Lincoln Drops Details On 2015 MKC Compact Utility
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:50:29 am »

Ford luxury brand ready to take on the Germans head-to-head

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Lincoln Drops Details On 2015 MKC Compact Utility
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:20:19 am »
Meh...Escape in drag. Should be a decent vehicle as the Escape is a highly competitive vehicle, but the looks dont do anything for me. Besides, after my MKX experience, Im still not sold on the existence of Lincoln as a brand.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:21:35 am »
Badge engineering.  When will they learn?  ::)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:45:06 am »

It seems that creative and pioneering are words that are at odds with each other. I don't think these guys are capable of learning, period.

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:10:36 pm »
Now auto journalists can conduct comparos between the MKC (betcha won't remember it's name) and the Escape Titanium.

I almost hate Lincoln.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:16:36 pm »
I almost hate Lincoln.

Same here, but not for the quality of their vehicles, or for their lack of exclusive product.  For their horrible, horrible naming convention.  I keep waiting for the Lincoln WTF (or maybe that's MWTF...)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 12:24:48 pm »

I don't think you know what badge engineering means.

Looks like they stayed quite true to the concept. That new 2.3 will likely make its way into a bunch of Fords; most certainly the Mustang and Fusion and possibly the Taurus as well.

Lincoln's issue is not so much its vehicles but the fact that you buy and service them in the same place where people buy and service Fiestas and F-150s. When people buy a premium brand they also want premium service. I doubt they get that when all Canadian Lincoln dealers are really just Ford dealers that happen to sell Lincolns.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:26:53 pm by OliverD »

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:26:26 pm »
I almost hate Lincoln.

Same here, but not for the quality of their vehicles, or for their lack of exclusive product.  For their horrible, horrible naming convention.  I keep waiting for the Lincoln WTF (or maybe that's MWTF...)

Good point. I don't think they have a quality problem either. I think they have zero respect for customers and are insincere in their claims of making unique luxury vehicles…I've seen enough interviews with Canadian Lincoln execs claiming that we should stay tuned for the great Lincoln turn-around to be convinced that they know they are lying.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:27:24 pm »
I'd like to see more differentiation too, but this is still an interesting car.

It doesn't share any body panels with the Escape, and the interior is higher rent and it does have the new 2.3L as an option. The Escape with the 2.0L is no slouch, so this should move out pretty well.

We've seen this play before, it's not like the Q5 and Tiguan aren't related.

As an aside, the new 2.3L will see duty in the Mustang and the Focus RS but likely in a higher state of tune.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:49 pm »

Looks like they stayed quite true to the concept. That new 2.3 will likely make its way into a bunch of Fords; most certainly the Mustang and Fusion and possibly the Taurus as well.

Lincoln's issue is not so much its vehicles but the fact that you buy and service them in the same place where people buy and service Fiestas and F-150s. When people buy a premium brand they also want premium service. I doubt they get that when all Canadian Lincoln dealers are really just Ford dealers that happen to sell Lincolns.

:iagree:   * cough cough Hyundai / Genesis *

Out of curiousity, how 'distinct' are Cadillac products/platform from their lesser bretheren?  Or is it just that Cadillac has a design direction that Lincoln hasn't figured out beyond adding Baleen Whale grills to their product line?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:30:59 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 12:38:47 pm »

Out of curiousity, how 'distinct' are Cadillac products/platform from their lesser bretheren?  Or is it just that Cadillac has a design direction that Lincoln hasn't figured out beyond adding Baleen Whale grills to their product line?

I have a similar beef with Cadillac. Both the sales and the service experiences I had with my SRX were distinctly "Chevy". I think if they want to compete with Lexus,BMW,MB etc etc they need distinct dealerships (or at least separate showrooms,service reception areas and dedicated sales people.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:41:55 pm »

I have a similar beef with Cadillac. Both the sales and the service experiences I had with my SRX were distinctly "Chevy". I think if they want to compete with Lexus,BMW,MB etc etc they need distinct dealerships (or at least separate showrooms,service reception areas and dedicated sales people.

My dad even brought that up when he was looking at the Escalade, didnt get why he could purchase pretty well the same vehicle in an Avalanche rather than spend an extra $20K on a Escalanche across the showroom. Its kind of hard for people to buy a product when your showroom is giving them obvious, less expensive products.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 01:02:39 pm »

I think that partly explains Cadillac's relatively small market share in Canada. In the U.S. they have standalone dealerships.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »

I think that partly explains Cadillac's relatively small market share in Canada. In the U.S. they have standalone dealerships.

Have you been in an urban Cadillac dealer in the US? It's like going back in time when women didn't have the right to vote.

When I was living in Houston, I went into a Cadillac dealer to check out a CTS for possible purchase. The average age of the employees was late-60s/early-70s, lots of Herb Tarlek-esque clothing choices, and an overwhelming feeling the building was full of asbestos.

Their attentiveness to customers (me) was great. But, it just wasn't a very welcoming environment. Dank, cold, and dark.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 01:50:35 pm »
So, let's see, we now have the MKC to add to the MKX, MKS, MKZ, MKT and Navigator....WTF...anyone else confused?  Maybe they should just change the big one to FUBAR to differentiate it while still sticking to that dumb-ass naming convention.  Yeah, not bad vehicles, but really dumb marketing which can't help the cause IMO.  ???

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 01:56:34 pm »
The names really kill it, I have no clue which is which, so for the vast unwashed car buying public you might as well have Sumerian symbols on the trunk. I think Infinity might have that problem as well.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »

In town we have Ford/Lincoln, Chev/Cadillac, VW/Audi, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, smart/MB dealers.

They all have partitioned floor space, but share the same service bays.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:04 pm »
Like I said in another thread about this brand... 

"Lincoln?...they still build Lincolns?  ;D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:10 pm »
The names really kill it, I have no clue which is which, so for the vast unwashed car buying public you might as well have Sumerian symbols on the trunk. I think Infinity might have that problem as well.

The alphabet soup nomenclature absolutely sucks.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 02:05:57 pm »
Like I said in another thread about this brand... 

"Lincoln?...they still build Lincolns?  ;D

Yeah, but if you buy one you can be assured you won't have to sit with the Fiesta plebes as you while away the hours waiting for "service"....  ;)