Author Topic: Midsize Chevrolet Colorado To Bow At LA Auto Show  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Midsize Chevrolet Colorado To Bow At LA Auto Show
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:36 am »

New truck will be revealed November 20

Read More...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Midsize Chevrolet Colorado To Bow At LA Auto Show
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:34:56 am »
I believe it's pretty much the Colorado currently offered in Thailand
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:47:55 am »
The article mentions the Toyota Tundra.  The Tundra is the full size, the Tacoma is the midsize.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:16 am »
I believe it's pretty much the Colorado currently offered in Thailand

The front end of the global Colorado is a bit too...Malibu...for American truck tastes. It'll probably ape the Silverado a bit more.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:49:04 am »
The article mentions the Toyota Tundra.  The Tundra is the full size, the Tacoma is the midsize.

WHOOPS! Thanks for the catch. Fixed!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:14 pm »
Nice to see GM gambling on this segment's continued existence. It will be interesting to see how this truck is priced. I know that with the last gen model approached the Silverado's price when they were similarly equipped.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:07:37 pm »
Nice to see GM gambling on this segment's continued existence. It will be interesting to see how this truck is priced. I know that with the last gen model approached the Silverado's price when they were similarly equipped.

I can see some significant overlap. I wouldn't even be surprised if a stripper Silverado is cheaper than an entry Colorado. GM is going to have to sell this midsizer as a smaller but equally capable alternative. If they do, I think people will get with the program and buy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:28:49 pm »

I can see some significant overlap. I wouldn't even be surprised if a stripper Silverado is cheaper than an entry Colorado. GM is going to have to sell this midsizer as a smaller but equally capable alternative. If they do, I think people will get with the program and buy.

Thats going to be the problem, the full size proper trucks will get better mileage, be cheaper to buy and have much better resale.....why one would buy one of these baffles me. I have 2 examples close to me that traded in their small trucks for full sizes and are now enjoying better mileage and increased capability. Only, and only if, they come with a diesel and keep the costs very low will this truck make a ding in the market.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:17:29 pm »
I'm curious.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:48:25 pm »

Thats going to be the problem, the full size proper trucks will get better mileage, be cheaper to buy and have much better resale.....why one would buy one of these baffles me. I have 2 examples close to me that traded in their small trucks for full sizes and are now enjoying better mileage and increased capability. Only, and only if, they come with a diesel and keep the costs very low will this truck make a ding in the market.

There is a market out there for smaller trucks. People with smaller garages, those who might live on the blending line between the city and the burbs, or people in condos who want a truck but don't have the space for a full size.

Offline Stilllovetrucks

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: NOW: '07 F150 xlt, PREVIOUS: '99 S70, '97 Impreza, '92 Dakota, '98 Forester, '92 & '99 Cherokees, '80 200sx, '87 Nissan pickup XE, '66 F-85
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »

There is a market out there for smaller trucks. People with smaller garages, those who might live on the blending line between the city and the burbs, or people in condos who want a truck but don't have the space for a full size.

That would be me !   Condo garages are a joke…. some full size sedans are too long….. my poor F150 is gonna freeze this winter !
Lovin the TRUCK !!!

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 03:40:10 pm »

Everything else being equal (i.e. drivetrains), I don't see how "full size proper trucks will get better mileage". There has to be some benefit to hauling around 500-1000 lbs. less curb weight. Technology has moved forward significantly since the Ranger and the GM 5 cylinder days. When the diesel (not "if") is included, I'm expecting highway mileage to approach the 6.0L/100 km. mark. I agree that the price of the smaller truck must be less than the fullsized or it's DOA.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »
i somehow very much like the idea of mid size trucks...   i think i could live with it. 

but that's kinda ugly.. :(  want the euro Ford Ranger.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »
I like what I see so far. What I also expect is Colorado Crew will be more expensive than 1500 series Extended Cab, and that will make it a tough sell. Wonder what the engine choices will be..
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:52 pm »

Everything else being equal (i.e. drivetrains), I don't see how "full size proper trucks will get better mileage". There has to be some benefit to hauling around 500-1000 lbs. less curb weight. Technology has moved forward significantly since the Ranger and the GM 5 cylinder days. When the diesel (not "if") is included, I'm expecting highway mileage to approach the 6.0L/100 km. mark. I agree that the price of the smaller truck must be less than the fullsized or it's DOA.

One buddy bought a Tacoma....he traded it in on a Tundra a couple of years later, he gets better mileage out of the Tundra. Another buddy bought a Frontier...2 years later traded it in on a Tahoe, better mileage and WAY better at towing his Supra. I agree with you that the smaller trucks should be getting better mileage, but they werent, the big 3 have full size trucks down to a very fine science and they spend lots of money on them because they are huge sellers so they get all the new, high tech goodies. If, as you say, some sort of diesel is introduced, that will be a huge benefit.....unless the equivalent midsize costs more than a full size trucks, then yes, they are DOA.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »

One buddy bought a Tacoma....he traded it in on a Tundra a couple of years later, he gets better mileage out of the Tundra. Another buddy bought a Frontier...2 years later traded it in on a Tahoe, better mileage and WAY better at towing his Supra. I agree with you that the smaller trucks should be getting better mileage, but they werent, the big 3 have full size trucks down to a very fine science and they spend lots of money on them because they are huge sellers so they get all the new, high tech goodies. If, as you say, some sort of diesel is introduced, that will be a huge benefit.....unless the equivalent midsize costs more than a full size trucks, then yes, they are DOA.

You got to remember, the engines in the Frontier and Tacoma are pretty darn old compared to what's available in today's full-size pickups.  Neither Nissan nor Toyota has invested in updating the drive/power trains of these little trucks.

Our new 2013 F150 XLT 8' box, 3.7L, 4x4 at work is still on it's first tank of gas, so obviously the engine isn't even broken in. With really short runs in the city (less than 5 km) is averaging 15L/100km according to the readout.  I used it to tow a dead 1995 Exploder out of our yard so the tow truck could take it for the Kidney Foundation donation.  It had not trouble pulling it up the incline, and just pulling on idle.

I'd venture to say that if the manufacturers put forth a good effort on the midsize trucks, they could improve the fuel mileage.  However, I doubt they would as sales just aren't there.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:41 pm »
Thats what Im saying, the manufacturers have kind of left this segment alone as its not as profitable as the full size trucks. If people are still buying the trucks with 10 year old engines and they have to spend basically nothing, why would they. If the market was viable, we would have all kinds of cool mid size trucks.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 10:34:13 am »
All good points. If I'm buying a mid-sized, then I want better mileage, well-matched drivetrains, comparable features and equipment, AND a slightly lower price. I understand I'm giving up some space and cargo hauling capability as a trade-off. I agree, the manufacturers have generally failed on all or most of these points. If they can't deliver, then get out of the game (e.g. Ford Ranger). I'm hoping the new Colorado will inject some life into this segment. A diesel certainly would help. I guess it's too much to hope for a truly compact truck, long box, diesel motor, manual, basic features, for low 20's?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:08 am »
All good points. If I'm buying a mid-sized, then I want better mileage, well-matched drivetrains, comparable features and equipment, AND a slightly lower price. I understand I'm giving up some space and cargo hauling capability as a trade-off. I agree, the manufacturers have generally failed on all or most of these points. If they can't deliver, then get out of the game (e.g. Ford Ranger). I'm hoping the new Colorado will inject some life into this segment. A diesel certainly would help. I guess it's too much to hope for a truly compact truck, long box, diesel motor, manual, basic features, for low 20's?

I remember when I was young and foolish looking at a Dakota, Quad cab, V8 and decent features....holy crap, well over $40K. Same thing at Toyota and at GM...I stopped caring about the compact/midsize trucks then. There was absolutely no incentive, over not having enough space in your garage, to buy one over a full size.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 12:07:27 pm »
There was absolutely no incentive, over not having enough space in your garage, to buy one over a full size.

Remember Fob, you live in rural(ish) Alberta.  Space isn't an issue for you.  But if the truck doesn't fit in your garage (and you don't have room for it anywhere else) it's kind of a deal breaker.  Buddy bought a 2013 F150 XLT super cab 6.5" bed last year.  He wanted a crew cab, but absolutely needed (to him, anyway) a 6.5" bed.  But the crew cab with the 6.5" bed wouldn't fit in the parking garage where he worked - and the supercab is still tough to squeeze in there. 

Just like with subcompact vs compact cars, it's easy to make the argument that the larger trucks have only a negligible (if any) price/fuel premium.  But when the vehicle is too big to fit on your property, that's a deal breaker.  Won't be an issue for most truck buyers, but it will be for some.  I'm glad to see GM back in this game - I hope it forces Nissan and Toyota to update their mid-sizers.