Author Topic: Obviously this is not a problem for BMW now.. but will it become one?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1311_2014_mercedes_benz_e63_amg_s_vs_bmw_m5_competition_pack_comparison/

Merc beat out BMW in a driving comparison.

i feel this is emblematic of the problem of modern BMWs.  when Benz provides better steering and more confidence inspiring driving experience, what's the point of BMW?  ..low lease rate?
Audi's are beating its fellow germans left and right for small sports sedan segment, too...     (S4!)

couple generations ago, they equated E39 M5 as THE SPORTS Sedan..   as close to a perfect car as anyone ever made.

not so anymore.

so what does BMW have now?   
more luxuious interior? no. (audi does better)
better reliability?  (....ummmm............they are all crap)
more brand recognition?  ...  this one is actually a possibility, but i still put Benz at the top in my ranking.

so my question is, ... will this put BMW in a situation like GM was in for a longest time? just in germanic fasion that is. watered down, over populated line up that just isn't as good as its competition anymore?..  just to pursue a bigger market share, it is sacrificing its reputation as the ultimate driving machine. 

i'm not sure if this will in fact damage BMW's sales in the long term....    i'm just curious what would happen if they continue becoming a german GM...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Obviously this is not a problem for BMW now.. but will it become one?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:23:37 pm »
Has BMW really gone down or have the others simply gotten better?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:24:35 pm »
^^What about Lexus IS beating out the 3 Series, their best seller?  If I were BMW, that would be more distressing.

I think BMW has gone a tad softer to cast the demographic net a bit wider, while the competition has gone a bit sharper.  Combine the 2, and you have a minor changing of the guard.

No...I don't think it will hurt BMW too much.  As long as they keep putting the rondel on the hood, people will buy them.

BTW...it's not the first time an AMG has been chosen over a BMW M.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »

Doesn't really matter which way it is.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:15 pm »
I don't think so.  How many buyers of these cars (larger sport sedans) are looking for max performance?  If I were looking for max performance, I would be shopping smaller, better handling cars like the M3, RS-4, and C63 AMG. 

I suspect buyers of the M5, E63 AMG, and S6 are basing their decisions more on styling and brand loyalty than performance (since they are still pretty close on that front).
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:43:03 pm »

Doesn't really matter which way it is.

Exactly...   10 years ago, when BMW, Benz or Audi compete, you KNEW going in, who's going to win.. 

the bar is raised, and BMW isn't on it. 

I know that in the short and medium term, BMW won't be hurting...    but what about the long term?   it doesn't have a distinct advantage against its competition.   (and is therefore technically only competitive or even inferior product priced the same or higher)  can they continue in this way? and still keep its market share, let alone grow ..   i'm genuinely curious to see their direction for the future.

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
Have to be careful, I'm falling for the E63S right when I thought I was falling for the 911.

"...the actual crank numbers on this car are much closer to 676 hp and 636 lb-ft of torque. That's enough to propel the 4511-pound sedan to 60 mph in a crazy quick 3.4 seconds and through the quarter mile in 11.6 seconds at 121.8 mph. That's one big hammer."

And, everything I read about the RS7 drivetrain sounds as good as the MB!