Author Topic: All-Electric Kia Soul To Be Sold In Canada Next Year  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
All-Electric Kia Soul To Be Sold In Canada Next Year
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:26:37 am »

Soul EV will be first electric Kia to be sold outside of S. Korea

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: All-Electric Kia Soul To Be Sold In Canada Next Year
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:37 am »
Another really good electric vehicle choice.  Good news!

Maybe in the fall of '14 the Editor will organize The Great Canadian Spark Off - a comparo of all electric vehicles available for sale in Canada.   

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1216
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:02 am »
200 km range. Now they are talking..

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:07 pm »
200 km range. Now they are talking..

Agreed.  Now, they just need to get the fast charging to be 5-10 mins.

I'm really interested to see where the electric car thing goes in the next 5-6 years.  It could see in our household having only 2 vehicles - one commuter electric vehicle which my wife could take to work since she has the longer commute, and one family vehicle (minivan) which I would daily drive since I have a short 8 km commute.

On the other hand, if the train get built close to our neighbourhood, she may just take the train, in which case I would use the electric commuter and the wife could either take the bus to the train station, or take the short drive to the park & ride.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »
That sounds very positive. With electrics, it always boils down to price. It'll be interesting to see if they get aggressive with that.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:50:14 am »
That sounds very positive. With electrics, it always boils down to price. It'll be interesting to see if they get aggressive with that.

If Kia can get the price below $30k, I think they'll have a hit. The closer to $25k they can get, the more attractive it will be. FYI: the Nissan LEAF retails for over $31k for the base model.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:31:24 am »
I think the Soul is a really good contestant to receive an electrified powertrain...but those charging times will be problematic, as will the leisurely 12s 0-60 time.  5 hrs on 240v means that on a household plug, the thing will likely take over 10 hours.

I'd like to see battery tech match what's commercially available rather than what other auto manufacturers are using.

Toyota's Yaris Hybrid-R concept is what I'd like to see be more widely used, as well as the new Accord Plug-in Hybrid's.  As far as fully electric, I wonder if you could do an electric-electric hybrid: slow-drain battery supplemented by a capacitor "boost"...means you could use a weaker electric motor (75hp/150lb ft) but with up to 10s of electric capacitor boost, the car would be spritely but very, very efficient.

Then again, I'm not engineer.  Still, I'd have to think there's better tech out there than just throwing in a giant battery.

I loved BMW's idea to put capacitors in the vehicle's exterior panels...let's keep that kind of momentum going!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:21 pm »
You can get a 240V/30A Schneider home charging station for $800 at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-amp-indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station-2nd-gen-enhanced-model/989931

I hope advancements in materials can get us to a properly durable ultra-capacitors. That would solve the weight and charging speed issues. Might even help with the cost aspect as well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:14:34 pm »

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-amp-indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station-2nd-gen-enhanced-model/989931

I hope advancements in materials can get us to a properly durable ultra-capacitors. That would solve the weight and charging speed issues. Might even help with the cost aspect as well.

It's not the charger price that worries me.  It's the electrician price to install it!!   :o
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »

It's not the charger price that worries me.  It's the electrician price to install it!!   :o

If you have a 200A entrance and natural gas or oil heat, it may end up being just the cost of a run of wire and a 30A breaker. If you only have a 100A entrance though, and/or have electric heat, yeah, that could run up the bill substantially: new entrance, panel, wire rework etc.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: All-Electric Kia Soul To Be Sold In Canada Next Year
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:59 pm »

It's really not that hard or expensive to install the charger.  You're talking adding in a 2 pole 30A or 40A breaker and a run of 2 conductor #8AWG into the garage.  I couldn't see an electrician charging more than $500 parts and labour.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:35 pm »

My thoughts exactly, and for 2 reasons: 
1) to avoid voiding your home insurance, you have to have a certified electrician install it. I'd be amazed to hear your insurer would accept personal installation (unless you are certified).
2) well, what if you have 1 electric car, and then your next is a hybrid or diesel or back to ICE?  Got yourself one expensive add-on to your garage...