Author Topic: Bendy Buses Have Arrived in Winnipeg  (Read 13022 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Bendy Buses Have Arrived in Winnipeg
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 12:07:17 pm »
Vancouver's New Flyer electric trolleys are slightly better capacity wise because of the use of single seats to the one side of the bus:

But they just don't compare to the sheer passenger volume the older trolleys had:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »
Articulated buses are coming back to Toronto.  They will be low floor too. 

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2013/October/1003_Articu_Bus.jsp

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 12:19:51 pm »
Low floor buses are a disaster regardless... less passenger seating, what seating there is usually in a goofy configuration, and verytough to use for standees in sections at the rear because the floor is sloped. A really bad idea in the name of political correctness. Inconvenience 99% of your customers in the name of the occasional wheelchair user. There has to be a better way.

The articulated buses have real problems in the snow for the reasons described. I haven't seen modern double-deckers in city use though... interesting.

Victoria uses doubled decker buses. When taking one from the Swartz Bay terminal to downtown the view from the top deck is very nice, especially is you can get the front seat.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 12:20:51 pm »
We have new articulated electric trolleys which I'd say are a 25% improvement over the old articulated electric trolleys but they're 50% longer and no so fun to drive when it snows or ices out. At least the City of Vancouver learned their lesson after the first winter and deice and clear the articulated bus routes first.

I still miss the old trolleys. We sold 80 of these to Mendoza Argentina for $2,300 each.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 01:06:02 pm »
Edmonton has a few of these buses. I have no idea what routes they are on, but I would think they would be on routes that don't cross the river. Only time I ever take a bus, is to an Eskimo game.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »
We have new articulated electric trolleys which I'd say are a 25% improvement over the old articulated electric trolleys but they're 50% longer and no so fun to drive when it snows or ices out. At least the City of Vancouver learned their lesson after the first winter and deice and clear the articulated bus routes first.

I still miss the old trolleys. We sold 80 of these to Mendoza Argentina for $2,300 each.

We also have to take into account the number of snowy days Vancouver city proper actually has. Last year it was a grand total of zero, the year before maybe two. The new trolley buses are quite nice to ride in. They are very airy inside. Articulated buses work well in our climate. They are used on the busy routes such as Commercial Skytrain to UBC.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 03:49:26 pm »
Quebec City and Montreal runs hundreds of articulated low floor Nova buses with no issues.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »
Isn't there some sort of "floor-avator" type thing that you can get put into the 2nd door? Maybe coupled with air suspension but I'd think the elevator device is plenty.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 04:59:10 pm »

We also have to take into account the number of snowy days Vancouver city proper actually has. Last year it was a grand total of zero, the year before maybe two. The new trolley buses are quite nice to ride in. They are very airy inside. Articulated buses work well in our climate. They are used on the busy routes such as Commercial Skytrain to UBC.

There was at least one last year. I remember having to detour through deep snow in New West the day the ice bombs closed the Port Mann.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 05:15:28 pm »
I didn't realize that the Port Mann Bridge was in the Vancouver city proper.  ;)

We did have a couple days of snow last year in the burbs.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »
I didn't realize that the Port Mann Bridge was in the Vancouver city proper.  ;)

We did have a couple days of snow last year in the burbs.

It snowed in Vancover that day too.  I mentioned the Port Mann because everyone seems to remember the day of the ice bombs.

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 07:31:12 pm »
They worked well in Ottawa.

Well damn. We got them from Ottawa…seriously.

Thanks Ottawa.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:45 pm »
Being a transit buff too, if they are from Ottawa they are the old New Flyer D60LFs the city traded in for newer ones. The buses are really poor equipped with a 4 cylinder engine, not enough to pull 100s of people and the AC system running.

Northernridge

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
Being a transit buff too, if they are from Ottawa they are the old New Flyer D60LFs the city traded in for newer ones. The buses are really poor equipped with a 4 cylinder engine, not enough to pull 100s of people and the AC system running.

I think that is what our local news reported. Since New Flyer is in Winnipeg, the fleet was retrofitted…to what extent I don't know.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »

Must be some mega displacement turbodiesel though no?

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Bendy Buses Have Arrived in Winnipeg
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »

Would be a Detroit series 50 turbo diesel. They put out about 350 HP and around 850 torque. It's a fairly large displacement, iirc around 9L.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 09:50:19 pm »
We have lots of them.  They work well here, even in winter.  My daughter rides one into the city and back everyday, and they run even during the worst snow days.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:03 pm »

Would be a Detroit series 50 turbo diesel. They put out about 350 HP and around 850 torque. It's a fairly large displacement, iirc around 9L.

850! Surely that is beefy enough to get the ball rolling. Comparable to a semi is it not.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:27 pm »

850! Surely that is beefy enough to get the ball rolling. Comparable to a semi is it not.

Oh no, semi engines usually run around 1650 torque and  go up to just over 2000 for heavy haul.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 11:30:24 pm »
The problem with the New Flyer and Orion artics is that the engine is in the very back and the rear axle is powered...  That's a lot of pushing against a relatively unstable platform... The older Orion-Ikarus (Hungarian bus maker) articulated design that Ottawa used to use was a high-floor bus, with a mid-engine and powered middle axle.
IIRC, Ottawa got rid of those ones because they rusted out.

Budapest, Györ, Szeged, and Debrecen don't have the same issues with snow and road-salt.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...