Author Topic: Bendy Buses Have Arrived in Winnipeg  (Read 13034 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Bendy Buses Have Arrived in Winnipeg
« on: November 09, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »
I've seen video of these buses not doing well in snow. No wonder they were so cheap. I wonder what city returned them.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Articulated-buses-have-arrived-231185421.html
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Bendy Buses Have Arrived in Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »
Saskatoon has had these for a while. Can't comment on how they are in snow though.  Seemed to be getting around fine this last week and we had a couple snowfalls.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 12:50:31 pm »
They worked well in Ottawa.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 12:50:56 pm »
The regularly have problems in the snow here.  They got rid of them for double deckers.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 12:58:12 pm »
Another one stuck on Rideau street downtown Ottawa

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »
Guess they don't do so well...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 01:50:47 pm »
The problem with the New Flyer and Orion artics is that the engine is in the very back and the rear axle is powered...  That's a lot of pushing against a relatively unstable platform... The older Orion-Ikarus (Hungarian bus maker) articulated design that Ottawa used to use was a high-floor bus, with a mid-engine and powered middle axle.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:06:23 pm »
They get stuck going up Burnaby Mountain to Simon Fraser University when it snows.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »
The problem with the New Flyer and Orion artics is that the engine is in the very back and the rear axle is powered...  That's a lot of pushing against a relatively unstable platform... The older Orion-Ikarus (Hungarian bus maker) articulated design that Ottawa used to use was a high-floor bus, with a mid-engine and powered middle axle.
IIRC, Ottawa got rid of those ones because they rusted out.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 05:09:44 pm »
Low floor buses are a disaster regardless... less passenger seating, what seating there is usually in a goofy configuration, and verytough to use for standees in sections at the rear because the floor is sloped. A really bad idea in the name of political correctness. Inconvenience 99% of your customers in the name of the occasional wheelchair user. There has to be a better way.

The articulated buses have real problems in the snow for the reasons described. I haven't seen modern double-deckers in city use though... interesting.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
Low floor buses are a disaster regardless... less passenger seating, what seating there is usually in a goofy configuration, and verytough to use for standees in sections at the rear because the floor is sloped. A really bad idea in the name of political correctness. Inconvenience 99% of your customers in the name of the occasional wheelchair user. There has to be a better way.

The articulated buses have real problems in the snow for the reasons described. I haven't seen modern double-deckers in city use though... interesting.

Mothers with strollers, seniors with reduced mobility as well as handicapped people have a much easier time with the low floor buses.

I'm a regular bus user and have no issues with them at all.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:37:21 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »

I used to be a regular bus user and discovered they were a disaster. All of the other regulars I asked about them hated them too.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 08:40:55 pm »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:04 pm »
I've seen video of these buses not doing well in snow. No wonder they were so cheap. I wonder what city returned them.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Articulated-buses-have-arrived-231185421.html

Do they still build buses in Winnipeg, or has that been shipped off-shore yet?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »

Do they still build buses in Winnipeg, or has that been shipped off-shore yet?

New Flyer and Motor Coach have factories in Winnipeg.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 09:27:53 pm »
Good thing Winnipeg doesn't get much snow!  ::)

Despite the complaints from locals, Winnipeg has excellent snow clearing.

I'm a life long 'Pegger and I've seen snow clearing get progressively better and better over the years. I'm amazed at how quickly things get cleaned up immediately after a major snow dump. I imagine these buses will be on the major routes and will likely see very little snow.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
Good thing Winnipeg doesn't get much snow!  ::)

Winnipeg gets less than half of Ottawa's snowfall.  :)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/phys08a-eng.htm

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 12:02:18 am »

I used to be a regular bus user and discovered they were a disaster. All of the other regulars I asked about them hated them too.

My morning route passes by a seniors' home and a few semi-regulars get on there. The driver inevitably has to help one old girl with the steps if we're on an old bus. The new buses kneel and she can totter on unassisted. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't call the new one "a disaster".

Compared to the GMCs and Orions, the new buses actually have heat and AC, the windows stay clear except for the coldest days and are much quieter. I have yet to hear anyone complain about them. Regina Transit still has a few older buses, I always hope for a new one.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 10:28:38 am »
I've stuck in or behind the articulated buses on snowy days here in Ottawa more times than I can count. Even happened twice in a single trip home last year with different buses. Lots of fun.  The back end has the engine and they basically jack-knife themselves. 

As for the low floor buses, I see them being used by mothers with strollers, people using wheelchairs or others with mobility issues often enough that I think they are necessary.  Once you get over the transition to them, it becomes the new normal.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:21 am »
My morning route passes by a seniors' home and a few semi-regulars get on there. The driver inevitably has to help one old girl with the steps if we're on an old bus. The new buses kneel and she can totter on unassisted. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't call the new one "a disaster".

Compared to the GMCs and Orions, the new buses actually have heat and AC, the windows stay clear except for the coldest days and are much quieter. I have yet to hear anyone complain about them. Regina Transit still has a few older buses, I always hope for a new one.

I also didn't like low floor buses until I had kids or suffered a leg injury. Getting two kids and a stroller up the steps or hobbling up with crutches is not fun at all. Vancouver still has some high floor buses -- community shuttles and highway coaches (Orion Vs). While the highway coaches make sense for capacity, I wish we would get the same low floor community shuttles Edmonton has.

Vancouver has a fancy new fleet of New Flyer Xcelsior, decent buses and the first city bus fleet to have air conditioning, the highway coaches had air conditioning since they first arrived in 2001. Translink has officially mandated that all new buses going forward have air conditioning.

More than half of our train sets are older ones without A/C and when it's hot out, I will gladly wait however long it takes for a new train to come. Luckily our trains run every 1.8 minutes in the rush hour.