Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63281 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Travel Trailers
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:12:56 pm »
I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about various manufacturers.

Many of you already know, I'd like to eventually pick up a small lightweight travel travel.
(in the next couple years)
I know there are others on this forum who may be thinking the same and I know some of you have trailers.

While I'm familiar with a few brands and some of these obviously look to be made of better quality than others, I really don't know too much about the industry.   

I'm sure the trailer world is much like the car manufacturers, being some are well known for quality and others have bad reputations???

If anyone feels like sharing any related information, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
thank you very much, in advance!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
They are all basically junk, IMO.

The Airstreams I've looked at seem a little better, but they are big $$$.

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »
We also had good luck with Jayco. Look up RV Direct in the US, they try real hard to sell to Canadians and ensure that your trailer will meet Canadian spec. Easy to bring across and a few years ago prices were routinely 1/3 less than our local dealers. Our trailer survived several long hauls to Yellowstone and the Black Hills… and two rambunctious boys. Excellent resale value too.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »
As Helidriver stated, they are all mostly junk, except for a few select makes that are big dollars.

That being said, I've owned two pieces of junk.  One was a Fun Finder X, and the current one a Jayco.  The Jayco is a better piece of junk  ;D.  Floor and ceiling are constructed/insulated better.  Other than that, same basic construction.  Jayco does have a good warranty, 2 years bumper to bumper. 

Both trailers served us well, but once you own one you realize how cheaply they are constructed.  I guess thats why you can buy a home on wheels for less than 20K.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »
Saying they all such really worries me!
I certainly don't want to spend $15 to $20K and see it fall apart in 5 years!!!

One thing I noticed is if you look at any trailer that says "ultralight" you're going to pay a huge premium.
I've also been surfing autotrader and US trailer sites for a long time.   It seems if you look at 20 feet or less and something in the 3,500lbs or less weight... Canadian and US prices seem very close.   But get into 24+ feet and that's when the spread really starts. 

We do have a local dealer that has a zillion Jayco trailers and they're very low in price.  It made me wonder just how cheap in terms of quality they are.   

We'd love an Airstream, but spending $50K or more isn't going to happen anytime.

a few brands that have peaked my interest are:
Aliner
Prolite (made in Quebec)
R-Pod
Eco
Grey Wolf
T@B
Visa by Gulfstream

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »
Just throwing this out there...

http://www.taylorcoach.com/

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:02:07 pm »
I certainly don't want to spend $15 to $20K and see it fall apart in 5 years!!!

If you take care of it, it won't fall apart in 5 years.  Most important is the roof.  Check all areas where water can enter (roof vents, a/c, joints at walls) and make sure sealant is still in good shape and apply or remove/apply if necessary.

I don't know if they make much for lightweight trailers, but Bigfoot is a Canadian made brand that has better construction.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:03:52 pm by bridgecity »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:22:50 pm »
The only people that I ever knew with a trailer shopped around and bought a pre-loved Airstream which they towed all around America. It was quite old I think, the interior was very '50s.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Travel Trailers
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »
Dutchman and citation are also two very well made trailers. We bought a 2008 crossroads trailer a few years back, while not as well built as the citation supreme it replaced its still holding up well.

I do find that newer trailers are not as well built as units from the 80's and 90's.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:45:13 pm »
They are all basically junk, IMO.

The Airstreams I've looked at seem a little better, but they are big $$$.

Agreed. Best thing to do is buy used and rehab the unit and run in until you sell it after figuring out that its a waste of space after only using it twice a year  :) I had a few and now just rent when I get the urge. Unless it is real wilderness camping...I have no interest in trailer park mayhem.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »
We looked at a Jayco when we were shopping for our first trailer. The first thing I noticed was rust all over the tongue. (On a brand new trailer - WTF?) On closer inspection, all the welds on the tongue were porous - full of holes - and the water had been pooling up in the welds and causing rust. And not just on the trailer we were considering, but on the two others right next to it. I guess that shoddy welds on the trailer frame aren't a defect, but rather a "feature".

And it was just as bad on the inside. The pedestal table was all cockeyed because the mount was screwed into the floor crooked. And whoever did the silicone caulking in the corners didn't just use his finger to smooth the bead, it appeared that he used his whole fist. Even better, you could see a smeared silicone handprint on the ceiling where he decided to wipe the mess of silicone off his hand. It was obvious that the trailer had been slapped together by minimum-wage-earning meth heads who simply could not give a fvck.

Having said that, we later looked at another Jayco when shopping for our second trailer. It actually seemed pretty decently built. Maybe there are different lines/level of quality in the Jayco family?

Our first trailer (R-Vision Trail Cruiser) was okay, but not without its issues (what kind of an idiot thinks unsupported 1/4" plywood is sturdy enough for a bed platform?).

And I had to redo the plumbing on our current trailer (Cruiser RV Fun Finder Xtra) when I realized that the plastic handles on all the ball valves were just there for decoration (you could spin the handle without actually opening or closing the valve). Cost me all of twelve bucks to get halfway decent ball valves from Home Hardware: why couldn't they just do that from the beginning instead of using cheap plastic crap?

Overall, though, I've been happy enough with our trailers. I just expect them to be junk, and plan on doing the necessary upgrades/fixes as we go along. Just go into it with the mindset of buying a fixer-upper (even if it is brand new)!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:49:25 pm by HeliDriver »

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 05:55:55 pm »
We had our last trailer for 5 years and it was problem free. We bought it for around $23k and sold it for 16K. We likely used it 30 nights/year and it made for cheap vacations. I wouldn't want to live in one but if you think of it as a hard sided tent it's OK. Our kids have seen much the Dakotas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Minnesota and Manitoba that they wouldn't have seen otherwise. Also, with my business there was no way we could mange two properties at that time so a cottage was out of the question. I'd come home from work the trailer would be loaded, I would hook up the Dodge and away we'd go.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 09:21:11 pm »
If you have a trailer that weighs x pounds, what kind of margin above that would you consider to safe when driving?  What I mean is, I will be buying another minivan sometime in the next couple of years and they all have a tow rating of 3500lb or so. Most of the smaller trailer seem to weigh in just below that.  Is that buffer of a few hundred pounds enough of a safety margin or should I really just pitch a tent? 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 09:37:50 pm »
If you have a trailer that weighs x pounds, what kind of margin above that would you consider to safe when driving?  What I mean is, I will be buying another minivan sometime in the next couple of years and they all have a tow rating of 3500lb or so. Most of the smaller trailer seem to weigh in just below that.  Is that buffer of a few hundred pounds enough of a safety margin or should I really just pitch a tent?

There are some really lightweight trailers out there these days.  It's a matter of finding them.  For example, even the largest A-Liner only weighs 1800 lbs.

Some of these look nice...made in Canada too!  http://www.roulottesprolite.com/indexenglish.htm

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:40:12 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »

There are some really lightweight trailers out there these days.  It's a matter of finding them.  For example, even the largest A-Liner only weighs 1800 lbs.

Some of these look nice...made in Canada too!  http://www.roulottesprolite.com/indexenglish.htm

Thanks! I just did a quite look over their models and they certainly look interesting.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:04:16 pm »

You'll need a margin of way more than a few hundred pounds.

The quoted empty weight of the trailer is usually the absolute bare minimum and doesn't include any "options" like propane tanks, air conditioning, microwave, awning, bbq, etc. The real empty weight of the trailer could easily be a few hundred pounds more than what the brochure says.

And then you have to add the weight of all your stuff - dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, groceries, coolers, camping chairs, clothes, etc. It can add up to way more than you'd expect.

And don't forget that your minivan's 3500 lb towing capacity is a best-case scenario, and can usually only be achieved with no other passengers in the van except the driver. Any passengers and cargo you add will reduce the available payload, which means you will have to reduce the trailer tongue weight, which means you will have to reduce the trailer weight. Once your family and gear is in the minivan, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual trailer weight limit isn't closer to 1,500 lbs. And if you load enough gear into the van, your trailer limit could easily be zero! You'll need to get the payload and towing specs for your minivan and do some math to figure it out.

And wind resistance is a big issue, too. I'd be looking at only tent trailers or the narrower and more aerodynamic models like rrocket has shown. Even if it's light enough, the wind resistance of a traditional 8' wide by 10' high trailer is going to work a minivan really hard.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:20 pm »
I bought a 2013 Jayco Jayfeather X213 last spring.   It's better then average quality and I liked the layout.   it can be tough to find a family friendly floorplan as most are aimed at seniors it seems. 

A couple things... Even if it says Ultralite or feather whatever they are not light.  My 1971 Sprite Musketeer weighed about 1600lbs while my Jayco weighs 4400lbs.

MRSP means even less on trailers then on cars.  No matter what they say they are always on sale. 

Drag is everything.  No matter what the weight it's like towing a parachute.  Your mileage will suck.

Keep rubber gloves handy.   The black water tank valve can leak a bit  over time and you don't want that crap on your hands when you remove the cap. 

It's worth it.  Don't think of it as camping though, I look at it as a cottage that I can take to any lake or just keep in my driveway when I'm not using it.  All for $20k. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:46:23 pm »
A couple things... Even if it says Ultralite or feather whatever they are not light.  My 1971 Sprite Musketeer weighed about 1600lbs while my Jayco weighs 4400lbs.

Most manufacturers provide the the weight.  It's as simple as looking at that specification...regardless of what they're called.  You Jayco is listed as ~4,000lbs from the manufacturer.  So it's easy to see if its more trailer than your car/truck can pull. 

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:53 pm »

Most manufacturers provide the the weight.  It's as simple as looking at that specification...regardless of what they're called.  You Jayco is listed as ~4,000lbs from the manufacturer.  So it's easy to see if its more trailer than your car/truck can pull.

Go by the sticker on the trailer and not by the number on the website.  My trailer weighs 4020lbs according to the brochure but it actually weighed 4400lbs when shipped from the factory with options. 

You also have include the weight of the battery which is dealer installed, weight of propane in the tanks, any water in the tanks, your luggage and camping gear and the driver and passengers which are not included in your trucks tow rating.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:14:44 pm »
^^Absolutely agree with you PJ.

I'm just saying when you're doing the pre-shopping routine, you can look on the website and eliminate trailers by looking at their manufacturers weight.

Then..as you say...get the actual weight when you're poking around them in person.