Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63350 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2021, 09:37:59 am »
Yeah most TTs are glueboard and staples. A solid 25' trailer that is not crap is $75k lol. Toy haulers are cool  (if you don't mind living in a shop environment but check with wife) but heavy. Slide outs are heavy as a rule too. With 4 people and gear that will seriously take a bite out of your payload remaining for tongue weight so no 35' for you. A nice 25' should suffice.

Not crap and made in Canada:

Those Bigfoots are first class.  Waiting list.

I've always mused about one of these for a very extended trip around the western States.  Highly maneuverable which is a must.  Properly equipped $50K.  Year waiting list.

https://escapetrailer.com/escape-5-0-features/

Those look good too. The fibreglass shell seems to be a killer feature.

Maybe it's just me, but this all feels like overkill, unless you're a retiree or have lots of spare time on your hands to travel.

Maybe, but my wife won't do tents. And I want to see more of the great outdoors.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #361 on: August 17, 2021, 09:48:02 am »

Maybe it's just me, but this all feels like overkill, unless you're a retiree or have lots of spare time on your hands to travel.

Maybe, but my wife won't do tents. And I want to see more of the great outdoors.

Lots of ways to accomplish that without dropping $50K on something you will only use a few times a year.  We went the rental route for a few years, just to see if we enjoyed the experience.  It was just okay, IMO.  Felt a bit claustrophobic on crappy weather days, but definitely better than a tent, no question.  However, this year we have chosen to try a lovely AirBnB cottage on a lake for a week.  Much better amenities, and still in the great outdoors.  YMMV.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #362 on: August 17, 2021, 09:52:16 am »
Trailers are just a nice tent where you can sleep better in bear country. Plus when you wake up in the rain on your final day, no tearing down a wet tent to only set it back up when you get home.

With a family of four trailers are brilliant. You no longer have to set up a giant tent, blow up sleeping pads, move multiple coolers around all the time, etc.

For the longest time I never got it but they make total sense and would love a small trailer for our trips.

If you have the money, do it. Bonus is you already have the truck to pull it.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2021, 10:04:22 am »

Lots of ways to accomplish that without dropping $50K on something you will only use a few times a year.  We went the rental route for a few years, just to see if we enjoyed the experience.  It was just okay, IMO.  Felt a bit claustrophobic on crappy weather days, but definitely better than a tent, no question.  However, this year we have chosen to try a lovely AirBnB cottage on a lake for a week.  Much better amenities, and still in the great outdoors.  YMMV.

I see the economics slightly differently, as we can easily spend $5K-$10K on a vacation for the four of us, we've been AirBnBing for years, and it's not super cheap anymore. A good trailer should last years, and we would probably use it multiple times a year.

Plus what Derek said for convenience. I never got it for ages, but now it's starting to make more sense. We thought about a cottage for a while, but I don't want another property to maintain.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2021, 10:17:40 am »
How about a houseboat rental vacation?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2021, 10:34:07 am »
I see the economics slightly differently, as we can easily spend $5K-$10K on a vacation for the four of us, we've been AirBnBing for years, and it's not super cheap anymore. A good trailer should last years, and we would probably use it multiple times a year.

Plus what Derek said for convenience. I never got it for ages, but now it's starting to make more sense. We thought about a cottage for a while, but I don't want another property to maintain.

Yeah, lots to consider, no question.  Agree that it's a different ballgame when there are four people in the equation.  Looking forward to hearing about your research and decision-making process.  :thumbup:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2021, 10:35:22 am »
Railton

How is that different from all the other rental/AirBnB vacations? Yes a trailer has depreciation, but at least it retains some value over the years.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2021, 10:37:37 am »
Railton

I looked seriously into that this year, but, like everything else, if you didn't book it last year, you weren't going this year. 

We rented a trailer a couple years ago through RVezy.com and it was a great experience.  Just like AirBnB or Turo, but for RVs.  Prices are all over the map, but it's definitely possible to find some excellent deals.  It'd be a really smart move to rent a few different sizes and layouts to see what really works for you / your family before springing for buying one.  Or for that matter, if you even enjoy doing it.

A friend of mine bought one a few years ago and he detests towing it (and he's been towing 'toys' for years).  His fuel consumption is shockingly bad, it can be a pain to squeeze them into campsites, and finding good provincial park spots these days is like winning a lottery.

Regarding Bob's point about not wanting to sleep where someone else did, just replace the friggin' mattress, you boob!  You'll want a decent memory foam one anyway instead of the newspapers and sawdust that come with those trailers in the first place. 

We're thinking more about a cottage or getaway property these days.  A properly built one shouldn't require an inordinate amount of maintenance, and if you think an RV won't, guess again.  Winterizing them can be a pain, too. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:39:58 am by DriverJeff »
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2021, 10:49:15 am »
A simple and small option is a pop up tent trailer toy hauler which gives two full queen size sleeping options. The problem I have with trailers is you end up "camping" in campgrounds cheek to jowl with the great unwashed masses and that is very eye opening and depressing lol. Small trailers allow lots of random camping. One day I will buy a small RV and tour around when I have no time constraints. This back and forth routine for a few days is not worth it IMO. Perhaps just keep it simple and go somewhere warm in the winter. Or move to where it is actually nice.

Good luck on your trailer purchase! lol.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2021, 01:01:23 pm »
Hey Bob, my thoughts are below in bold.

Thread revival!

OK, I'm getting old, so prefer glamping instead of camping, plus the wife also has a say in this. Thinking of getting a travel trailer, but have a bunch of questions.

1. My Tundra is a 2016 Limited with the 5.7L V8, I think also with the tow/trailer brake package, although I don't know how to use it yet. If the truck had a family of four and a couple of dogs and gear for a week, what is a good max weight for the trailer? As mentioned previously, it comes down to tongue weight and the cargo/passengers you are hauling.  I've owned four trailers, all towed with my Tundra at one point, including a 19', 23', and two 31'ers.  The 31' trailers pulled nicer than the 23' due to the aerodynamic front on them.  There's so many variables to how the trailer performs behind the truck so just make sure your weights are within limits (I've towed over, no doubt).  We have an owned lot now so the trailer doesn't go anywhere anymore, so I wasn't dragging 31' of trailer around the country.

2. I prefer the double axle look, and was thinking about something in the 25'-35' length range (two adults, two teens, two dogs). What are the pros and cons of say 25' vs 35' ish? I have read this entire thread and the only thing that sticks in my mind is that some sites might have size limits? (other than the obvious extra weight too) And how easy is it to maneuver something of this size?   If basically going weekends there's definitely advantages to a smaller trailer (fit better in more sites, less weight, parking at home depending on driveway length, etc).  We like having a separate bunkhouse for the kids but there are some nice 28' layouts that have two double bunks one above the other at the rear along with a bathroom.  It's probably the most popular layout out there for families with kids.  Either way, get something with bunks for the kids.  Nothing worse than having to convert a couch/table into a bed daily.  I never found maneuvering a 31' trailer any worse than a 23' trailer. 

3. I love buying stuff new, but also love a deal. What are your thoughts on new vs used? I'm not sure I want to sleep in someone else's old bed...  Have a look at pricing and see where you're getting your best value.  Only one of our trailers was used.  Current one was new but bought in 2019 as a 2018 model.  Got a good deal on it I think.  Right now prices are high (new and used) as with all toys.  You used to be able to haggle 10k off asking for a new trailer but those days are gone for now.

4. Brands I've seen recommended are Rockwood, Jayco, Keystone. Anyone else I should look at?  As mentioned, most are cheaply built with few exceptions, but those are super pricey.  I'd say our Jayco was the best screwed together, but that was 10 years ago.  You're going to have problems on a new unit, but could minor things like poor fastening of hinges, etc.  A used unit will typically have the kinks worked out.  If going used, make sure to have a good look on the inside for signs of water damage and inspect the roof well.

5. What is a toy hauler, and how do they work? It would be amazing to take dirt bikes/MTBs, but the floor plan looks like garage AND living space, how does that work?  Never had one, but ya, living quarters look like a garage.  Would be handy for hauling bikes around if you can live with the interior.  They are heavier though.

6. Will I need a WD hitch? Yes.

7. How often do you need to use a trailer to get value for money? And are they useful for shorter trips, or do you need to be doing 3-4+ days to make it worthwhile? (P.S. I think I can park it on the driveway, but I'll have to check the local bylaw).  We used to do a ton of weekends, but it does get tiring if you need to put the trailer in storage every weekend.  If you can park in your driveway that's a huge bonus. The shorter the trips the more tiring it gets with packing/unpacking. 

8. My only wants would be a slideout or two for extra space, and an outside kitchen. What options would you consider essential, or a good luxury?  Like you mention, living area slide, outside kitchen are great (use the outside kitchen daily).  As I mentioned previously if you have kids make sure the trailer has bunks for them.  We use our outside spray nozzle a ton (most have them now).  Make sure the trailer has adequate interior storage for what you think you'll need.  Some layouts are much better than others.

:)
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2021, 01:14:33 pm »
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2021, 01:16:33 pm »
Thread revival!

OK, I'm getting old, so prefer glamping instead of camping, plus the wife also has a say in this. Thinking of getting a travel trailer, but have a bunch of questions.

1. My Tundra is a 2016 Limited with the 5.7L V8, I think also with the tow/trailer brake package, although I don't know how to use it yet. If the truck had a family of four and a couple of dogs and gear for a week, what is a good max weight for the trailer?

2. I prefer the double axle look, and was thinking about something in the 25'-35' length range (two adults, two teens, two dogs). What are the pros and cons of say 25' vs 35' ish? I have read this entire thread and the only thing that sticks in my mind is that some sites might have size limits? (other than the obvious extra weight too) And how easy is it to maneuver something of this size?

3. I love buying stuff new, but also love a deal. What are your thoughts on new vs used? I'm not sure I want to sleep in someone else's old bed...

4. Brands I've seen recommended are Rockwood, Jayco, Keystone. Anyone else I should look at?

5. What is a toy hauler, and how do they work? It would be amazing to take dirt bikes/MTBs, but the floor plan looks like garage AND living space, how does that work?

6. Will I need a WD hitch?

7. How often do you need to use a trailer to get value for money? And are they useful for shorter trips, or do you need to be doing 3-4+ days to make it worthwhile? (P.S. I think I can park it on the driveway, but I'll have to check the local bylaw)

8. My only wants would be a slideout or two for extra space, and an outside kitchen. What options would you consider essential, or a good luxury?

:)

How old are the kids?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2021, 01:29:24 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. As with everything, it's a compromise. I'm not looking to buy right now so I've got time to have a look around, maybe rent one for a bit.

Parking isn't an issue, the driveway is a good 80'-90' long. And whether the kids come with us or not (as they are getting older) it doesn't really matter, as I'd like the extra space.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2021, 01:38:06 pm »
My Equal-i-zer hitch does double duty as sway control, and it doesn't need to be unhooked when backing up. There are some better ones too but I haven't had any issues with this one.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2021, 01:59:05 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. As with everything, it's a compromise. I'm not looking to buy right now so I've got time to have a look around, maybe rent one for a bit.

Parking isn't an issue, the driveway is a good 80'-90' long. And whether the kids come with us or not (as they are getting older) it doesn't really matter, as I'd like the extra space.

In Guelph for example it isn't how long the driveway is but can the trailer find BEHIND the front of the house.   Not enforced much here unless someone complains but the City is considering toughening up the parking restrictions for ANY vehicle or trailer longer than a regular car/suv even on your own driveway.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 17, 2021, 02:26:33 pm »
Yep, no problems with parking here, we have a good 50'+ behind the front of the house.

ltruong

« Reply #376 on: August 17, 2021, 02:33:49 pm »
Yep, no problems with parking here, we have a good 50'+ behind the front of the house.

That makes a huge difference.  Can clean and Prep while being at home and used it for visits..etc.  your kid can passout in it on the weekends instead of waking you up at 3am    :P

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #377 on: August 17, 2021, 02:35:48 pm »
There is somebody on a cul-de-sac in my neighbourhood that has their trailer parked and setup across the sidewalk. Wonder what their neighbours think about that?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 17, 2021, 02:45:38 pm »
There is somebody on a cul-de-sac in my neighbourhood that has their trailer parked and setup across the sidewalk. Wonder what their neighbours think about that?

Letting people store their trailers in the front is a slippery slope.  I would nip that crap in the bud, before you know it your neighbourhood will look like Sunnyvale.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #379 on: August 17, 2021, 02:50:15 pm »
Forget the toy hauler - they're too heavy, and you'll never be able to pull one with the Tundra. 

I personally love pop-up trailers, as they're easy to tow and store.  Their biggest drawback (aside from setup/teardown) is a lack of storage.  Because everything has to fit in a lower profile, they have much less storage than a conventional hardside trailer.  This means you end up packing a lot of extraneous items into the tow vehicle.  This isn't a problem for US, but you'll probably want to bring the bikes, which will cut down on the items you can pack into the back of the truck. 

The beautiful thing about a pop-up, is their ability to just about camp anywhere.  Because you can unzip all the sides, you can get away with not having air conditioning as airflow through the trailer is unparalleled, and is something that a hardside trailer can't match.  All the systems in a pop-up can be run off either battery/solar (so the lights, water pump, furnace fan, etc) or propane (stove, fridge).  Hardside trailers are similar, but there's just something about a pop-up trailer that makes it easier to boondock in. 

Something like this would be ideal:  You could put the bikes on the pop-up, leaving the back of your truck open for packing the rest of your stuff.