Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63372 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2019, 09:41:18 pm »
I assume it is insulated? Has AC but has a heat strip? This is electric correct so for heat would need to be plugged in?  Propane furnace would make sense here.
What is a heat strip ?
A baseboard heater ? https://www.dimplex.com/en/electric_heating/baseboard_heaters/products

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2019, 10:28:01 am »
Yikes I liked those No-Bos until I checked out the price. $23k+!!    I hope Mr. Black got a hell of a deal. In the end one might be better off buying a V nose cargo trailer for $6-8k and building their own.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2019, 08:05:48 pm »
Successful trip to Kelowna over the weekend. Asked for another day for my July trip to Kelowna, not leaving Kelowna Sunday and working Monday again.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2019, 08:07:15 pm »
I pulled the trigger on the NoBo 10.6 ...  8)

Very cool! Get the top tent attachment!

So, my co-worker's little hybrid trailer was a dead end.  It was in pretty rough shape overall, and the floor at the back was almost completely rotted out.  I can fix and touch up blemishes, and fix damage, but a rotten floor?  That's a little more work than I'd like to do. 

A reason we decided to go new. Yikes. My unit has a 25 year warranty on the floor.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2019, 09:13:46 pm »

It was $2400, so I didn't.
I regret it though now.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2019, 10:32:58 pm »

It was $2400, so I didn't.
I regret it though now.

Oh, for $2400 I would’ve sought lower cost alternatives.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2021, 10:56:10 pm »
Thread revival!

OK, I'm getting old, so prefer glamping instead of camping, plus the wife also has a say in this. Thinking of getting a travel trailer, but have a bunch of questions.

1. My Tundra is a 2016 Limited with the 5.7L V8, I think also with the tow/trailer brake package, although I don't know how to use it yet. If the truck had a family of four and a couple of dogs and gear for a week, what is a good max weight for the trailer?

2. I prefer the double axle look, and was thinking about something in the 25'-35' length range (two adults, two teens, two dogs). What are the pros and cons of say 25' vs 35' ish? I have read this entire thread and the only thing that sticks in my mind is that some sites might have size limits? (other than the obvious extra weight too) And how easy is it to maneuver something of this size?

3. I love buying stuff new, but also love a deal. What are your thoughts on new vs used? I'm not sure I want to sleep in someone else's old bed...

4. Brands I've seen recommended are Rockwood, Jayco, Keystone. Anyone else I should look at?

5. What is a toy hauler, and how do they work? It would be amazing to take dirt bikes/MTBs, but the floor plan looks like garage AND living space, how does that work?

6. Will I need a WD hitch?

7. How often do you need to use a trailer to get value for money? And are they useful for shorter trips, or do you need to be doing 3-4+ days to make it worthwhile? (P.S. I think I can park it on the driveway, but I'll have to check the local bylaw)

8. My only wants would be a slideout or two for extra space, and an outside kitchen. What options would you consider essential, or a good luxury?

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2021, 11:36:07 pm »
In Ontario, TT bylaws are fairly universal.  The rule is one TT behind the front wall of the house.  Whether it's enforced or not is another story.

35 foot TT is insanely long and would require a 3/4 ton.  Even 30 feet would require a 3/4 ton.  25 footers are about 28 feet coupling to rear bumper.  With one slide that would be the maximum on a 1/2 ton short box with all those ppl.

There are only about 3 manufacturers of TTs.   All have build issues.

Don't get TT's mixed up with 5th wheels.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2021, 11:58:08 pm »
Yeah most TTs are glueboard and staples. A solid 25' trailer that is not crap is $75k lol. Toy haulers are cool  (if you don't mind living in a shop environment but check with wife) but heavy. Slide outs are heavy as a rule too. With 4 people and gear that will seriously take a bite out of your payload remaining for tongue weight so no 35' for you. A nice 25' should suffice.

Not crap and made in Canada:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2021, 11:59:28 pm »
Bob,

Toy haulers have a "garage" in the back with tie downs in the floor. Typically, either a bed or couch is on a motorized lift above the garage. When hauling bikes, the couch/bed is raised to the ceiling. Once at the destination and bikes removed, the bed/couch is lowered and now it's living space.

I have also seen some where the garage had large extension panels added that turns the back into a deck!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 17, 2021, 12:20:58 am »
Check your payload. The tongue weight of most campers is closer to 15%. Your batteries and propane usually sit up front and put 200 lb right on the tongue. You’re going to exceed your payload before you get anywhere near your towing capacity.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #351 on: August 17, 2021, 12:39:32 am »
Yeah most TTs are glueboard and staples. A solid 25' trailer that is not crap is $75k lol. Toy haulers are cool  (if you don't mind living in a shop environment but check with wife) but heavy. Slide outs are heavy as a rule too. With 4 people and gear that will seriously take a bite out of your payload remaining for tongue weight so no 35' for you. A nice 25' should suffice.

Those Bigfoots are first class.  Waiting list.

I've always mused about one of these for a very extended trip around the western States.  Highly maneuverable which is a must.  Properly equipped $50K.  Year waiting list.

https://escapetrailer.com/escape-5-0-features/

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #352 on: August 17, 2021, 07:08:58 am »
In Ontario, TT bylaws are fairly universal.  The rule is one TT behind the front wall of the house.  Whether it's enforced or not is another story.

35 foot TT is insanely long and would require a 3/4 ton.  Even 30 feet would require a 3/4 ton.  25 footers are about 28 feet coupling to rear bumper.  With one slide that would be the maximum on a 1/2 ton short box with all those ppl.

I'd say even 25' is too long/heavy for a Tundra - maybe not when you're towing 'empty', but definitely when you have your whole family on board/bikes in the back of the truck. 

You've got approx. 1600lbs of payload capacity.  From that payload, you need to subtract weight of passengers, and anything you put into the bed of the truck (like dirt bikes).  Assume your family weighs, 500lbs, and the dirtbikes weigh another 500lbs.  That leaves you with 600lbs for the tongue weight of the trailer.  A travel trailer will have 10-15% of it's curb weight on the tongue.  So with a 600lb tongue weight, that means anywhere from a 4000lb to a 6000lb trailer.

A 24' trailer would be the absolute Max I'd look at pulling with a Tundra, and not something I'd look at pulling across the country.  I consider a 20' trailer to be the best compromise between interior space, and towability, and would be something I'm comfortable pulling long distances. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #353 on: August 17, 2021, 07:29:32 am »
Out of curiosity, would he be able to haul a bigger trailer if it was a 5th wheel?  How does the calculations differ?  Is a 5th wheel more expensive?  Is it harder to maneuver? 

They seem to be pretty common around these parts and I always see F150, 1500, Tundra level of truck pulling them.  They usually dwarf the truck quite a lot.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #354 on: August 17, 2021, 07:30:03 am »
Maybe consider a hybrid TT with a slide out?

https://www.asrvs.com/rv/Flagstaff-Shamrock-233S-Hybrid-Travel-Trailer-Ohio is a US site but give weight, etc.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:31:41 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2021, 08:28:26 am »

OK so 25'-28', I'm fine with that. Parking shouldn't be an issue but I'll check. No 5th wheel.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2021, 08:36:02 am »
Check your payload. The tongue weight of most campers is closer to 15%. Your batteries and propane usually sit up front and put 200 lb right on the tongue. You’re going to exceed your payload before you get anywhere near your towing capacity.

I have no idea what this means. From searching I think the tongue weight is about 640lbs-1050lbs, although I'm not sure how this changes between models. I'm guessing up to 7,000lbs should be OK? So maybe no dirtbikes.

I hear you though, smaller is better. So aim for ~25' and 4,000-5,000lbs.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2021, 08:48:37 am »

I've always mused about one of these for a very extended trip around the western States.  Highly maneuverable which is a must.  Properly equipped $50K.  Year waiting list.

Those look good too. The fibreglass shell seems to be a killer feature.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2021, 09:27:34 am »
My BIL has been towing a 34' travel trailer with his 2wd Tundra for 10+ yrs...does he need a bigger truck? Absolutely...but...there he is...

I tow a 28'er with my F150, does just fine.  I wouldn't want bigger because well, that's already a pretty damn big trailer.

You def want a WD hitch - I have this one - Blue Ox - on our previous lighter weight trailer we just had the regular old Reese WD hitch and my wife is super sensitive to swaying motions in a vehicle, and it wasn't good enough.  This trailer is taller, heavier, just bigger overall (despite being the same length) and she has never complained once about swaying, so a good WD hitch is a good buy IMO.  Granted this one was like $900 so not cheap either. Plenty of video on how to set one up.

There can def be a case for just doing weekends...assuming you can find a place to go.  We used to go out 8-12 times per year...once for 2 weeks straight and then a bunch of 2-3 nighters when and where we could.  Your kids are still young, right?  Should be fun!  As for value for money...I don't think there's a case for that anywhere.  Maybe snowbirds?  You do get your own bed which is nice, instead of a motel room where who knows who's been in there last.  I've got a $30k+ lawn ornament most of the year...but my wife loves camping so... :P 

My other BIL has a toy hauler, it even has its own generator and gas tank for filling their toys (he and his wife and now one daughter all ride motorcycles).  He got rid of his F150 (5' bed - too short of a truck as far as I'm concerned) and upgraded to a RAM 2500 Cummins.  BIG improvement he says (they live in Calgary so are out a lot in the hills and mtns & gusts of wind).  Heavy trailer, hardly notices it there now. 

I'd think you should be fine with anything up to 28', and you def want a slide - SOOO much more comfortable just moving around inside.  Just don't be one of those guys who thinks he's gotta go 120 kmh...not sure trailer axles or tires (or leaf springs) are made for that kind of punishment.  Plus the hit to the l/100  :o :P - it's painful to watch...mine only goes to 40 and it'll "bury the needle" at those speeds.  ;D

Good luck!  Hope you find something that suits and get to enjoy the crap out of it!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:40 am »

Those look good too. The fibreglass shell seems to be a killer feature.

Maybe it's just me, but this all feels like overkill, unless you're a retiree or have lots of spare time on your hands to travel.