Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63259 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #280 on: March 14, 2019, 11:54:47 am »
You use battery power to run the furnace?  The propane is much more efficient.  When we go camping in October (thanksgiving weekend).  Furnace runs sometimes, we use 1/4 tank over 3 nights.  Same as the fridge.

Both Battery and propane.  Battery to run the blower fan, and propane to heat.  Out of all the items in the trailer that consumes 12v electricity, the furnace fan uses the most amps.  The only other thing I have are the lights, which I've converted to LED, so they hardly use any amps at all.

Same here.  Guess I never realized the fan uses the battery.  Since I have never had a problem.  Never noticed.  But it makes sense.

An entire night of the furnace running can deplete a smaller group24 battery almost entirely, certainly past the magic '50%'.  Another reason why I installed a massive Group31 battery on my trailer.  I've got about 50% more capacity than with the group 24 batteries that come with most trailers.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2019, 12:00:01 pm »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #282 on: March 14, 2019, 12:12:31 pm »
You use battery power to run the furnace?  The propane is much more efficient.  When we go camping in October (thanksgiving weekend).  Furnace runs sometimes, we use 1/4 tank over 3 nights.  Same as the fridge.

Both Battery and propane.  Battery to run the blower fan, and propane to heat.  Out of all the items in the trailer that consumes 12v electricity, the furnace fan uses the most amps.  The only other thing I have are the lights, which I've converted to LED, so they hardly use any amps at all.

Same here.  Guess I never realized the fan uses the battery.  Since I have never had a problem.  Never noticed.  But it makes sense.

An entire night of the furnace running can deplete a smaller group24 battery almost entirely, certainly past the magic '50%'.  Another reason why I installed a massive Group31 battery on my trailer.  I've got about 50% more capacity than with the group 24 batteries that come with most trailers.

I honestly have no idea what group mine is.  Will have to check when it get back.  But I replaced 2 years ago.  Bought it at Canadian Tire, it wasn't one of the cheaper ones.  And last Thanksgiving, there were nights it went on for long periods of time.  I keep it set to 15C, And the outside temperature was around 3C (at Bon Echo, if Quad is interested). 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:58 pm »
GBA, probably posted this before.  But here is my short list.  Approx 2 years till I buy one, but like you,  I keep looking, so I am ready.

Jayco Jay Flight SLX 242BHSW
Jayco White Hawk 24MBH
Jayco White Hawk 25BHS
jayco jay flight slx267bhsw
jayco jay flight slx287bhsw
Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S

Should probably update it again.  Some of these maybe 2017 models.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2019, 12:52:21 pm »
^^^So, you both bring up some good points, and this is what I'm having an issue with.  FWIW, we are nowhere near buying (more financial than anything else), but are still shopping around so that we can nail down exactly what we want, and how much it will cost, for when we ARE ready to buy. 

Yea. Definitely advantages and disadvantages to each. I should've known better before blindly recommending my solution. There's something to be said about smaller units.

Would you ever rent out your unit? I already have $650 of income pending this summer for two bookings. We financed (more like a mortgage) our unit @ 4.99% over 15 years but we're planning to pay it off in 5.

https://www.rvezy.com/rv-rental/alberta_edmonton_traveltrailer_traveltrailer_primetime_avenger-ati-26bb

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2019, 12:54:02 pm »

Mine uses 7.5A. I calculated if the night was really cold and the furnace runs for 4 hours, that's 30A depleted. I went for a group 27 (50A usable) but I'm considering going dual battery. How many usable amps does group 31 have?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »
Guess I will have to figure how much I drain when running the furnace.  And what my solar panel does (if anything) to top up the battery. 

This little thing I use once in awhile. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-2-5-watt-12-volt-solar-battery-maintainer-0112007p.html#srp

But I have a proper one for when the trailer is home. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2019, 01:25:02 pm »
Trailers have C02 alarms in them in case of furnace malfunction?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:21 pm »

Mine uses 7.5A. I calculated if the night was really cold and the furnace runs for 4 hours, that's 30A depleted. I went for a group 27 (50A usable) but I'm considering going dual battery. How many usable amps does group 31 have?

Group 31 will have approx. 125AH (so 62-63AH useable).  Dual Battery is best, I think, run in parallel.   I would have gone dual battery, but my trailer only had room for one battery, so I just went for a big one. 

Would you ever rent out your unit? I already have $650 of income pending this summer for two bookings. We financed (more like a mortgage) our unit @ 4.99% over 15 years but we're planning to pay it off in 5.

I don't think I would ever rent out my trailer.  There is just the potential for somebody else to misuse it, and the wear and tear would be more significant than just using it myself.  People don't take care of other people's things as well if it is their own.  I could keep our pop-up and use it as a dedicated rental, but it has so many idiosyncrasies, and is so fragile, that it wouldn't take much to ruin it.  Pop-ups really need to be used with care. 

Trailers have C02 alarms in them in case of furnace malfunction?

Not CO2, but CO (carbon monoxide).  Yes, every trailer has to have one.  They run off 110 'shore' power, and also 12v battery power.  In fact, if you leave your trailer parked longterm without a maintainer, with the battery hooked up, the CO detector will deplete the battery over time.  Furnaces also use a heat exchanger.  They don't exhaust combusted air into the interior of the trailer, but rather transfer heat from the exhaust to inside air via the heat exchanger, then exhaust the combusted air directly outside.  They are like a household furnace in that regard, just a lot less efficient.

Guess I will have to figure how much I drain when running the furnace.  And what my solar panel does (if anything) to top up the battery. 
This little thing I use once in awhile. 
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-2-5-watt-12-volt-solar-battery-maintainer-0112007p.html#srp
But I have a proper one for when the trailer is home. 

So, I use a little 25W solar panel when dry camping, and it is enough to top up my battery to almost full on a moderately sunny day, after a night of using lights and furnace.  If you do a lot of dry camping, I would definitely invest in a 50 - 100W solar panel.  They are not terribly expensive.

https://www.costco.ca/Coleman-100-W%2c-12-V-Crystalline-Solar-Panel-Kit-with-Stand.product.100484260.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:47:51 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
I camp 5-6 times a year.  With an average of 22 days.  Most of the time I get an electrical site.  Only time I don't is when a site is not available.  And the only time the furnace runs is on the Thanksgiving trip.  So this being year 6, I am not really concerned.  I would consider the panel, but Ontario Provincial Park sites have a lot of shade.  I even walked to the "sunny" labelled sites.  Only sunny for a few hours. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2019, 07:37:11 pm »
my colleague who just bought the F150 was considering buying a travel trailer, but found someone online close by who rents them out...he has booked a 21' Shasta Oasis trailer for a family trip this summer...$500 for the week...seems like a decent enough deal for a trailer that sells for about $20k to purchase.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2019, 09:38:34 pm »
my colleague who just bought the F150 was considering buying a travel trailer, but found someone online close by who rents them out...he has booked a 21' Shasta Oasis trailer for a family trip this summer...$500 for the week...seems like a decent enough deal for a trailer that sells for about $20k to purchase.

that's really good.. a pop up usually rents for around $400-$500.  Where was this ?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2019, 10:38:13 pm »
My trailer rents $75 to 125 a night on RVezy plus $50 cleaning fee and other stuff. 15% discount on weekly rentals. So weekly is $500 off season to $700 peak overlapping a long weekend, plus insurance and RVezy 10% fee.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2019, 11:45:43 pm »

that's really good.. a pop up usually rents for around $400-$500.  Where was this ?
i'm pretty sure it's this guy here, just outside of London:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/london/travel-trailer-rentals-camping-trailers/1413267242?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:18 am »
My trailer rents $75 to 125 a night on RVezy plus $50 cleaning fee and other stuff. 15% discount on weekly rentals. So weekly is $500 off season to $700 peak overlapping a long weekend, plus insurance and RVezy 10% fee.

I can't get those RVEzy guys to tell me if anyone actually rents trailers often on the site. My fear is that you'll get like one booking a year, if you're lucky. Anyone got any experience using RVEzy or RVshare?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Travel Trailers
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2019, 08:59:24 am »

I can't get those RVEzy guys to tell me if anyone actually rents trailers often on the site. My fear is that you'll get like one booking a year, if you're lucky. Anyone got any experience using RVEzy or RVshare?

I have two bookings this year so far in May long and July, both three days. I don’t think it’ll be a huge business but rather just help us pay off our trailer faster. They recommend sharing the link around through social media etc. to get some interest in your particular trailer. I like RVezy because of their insurance program.

ltruong

« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2019, 02:04:51 pm »
Well I just sold my tent trailer since we didn't use it at all last year.  It's a sad day.   Since it was in my garage I needed to reclaim the space for my tools.  With 2 trailers in there it was impossible to walk around.  Storage for a trailer is about $450 a year so it didn't make sense for the amount we use it, plus the depreciation. So for this year we will try couple Air B&B camping, couple places rents their permanent seasonal RV for like $120 night.  You just show up with you baggage like an hotel but everything is ready and might actually be cheaper long term.  Wood is all chopped up,  everything setup, some even have bikes for kids.  So I guess  we spend couple $$$ on that.

Had my trailer for just over 3 years, bought for 5K sold for $200 less.  Now I'll finish my garage and epoxy the  floor!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:59 pm »
Well I just sold my tent trailer since we didn't use it at all last year.  It's a sad day.   Since it was in my garage I needed to reclaim the space for my tools.  With 2 trailers in there it was impossible to walk around.  Storage for a trailer is about $450 a year so it didn't make sense for the amount we use it, plus the depreciation. So for this year we will try couple Air B&B camping, couple places rents their permanent seasonal RV for like $120 night.  You just show up with you baggage like an hotel but everything is ready and might actually be cheaper long term.  Wood is all chopped up,  everything setup, some even have bikes for kids.  So I guess  we spend couple $$$ on that.

Had my trailer for just over 3 years, bought for 5K sold for $200 less.  Now I'll finish my garage and epoxy the  floor!

Sorry to hear about the trailer.  But I agree with the philosophy, if you don't use it, loose it.  Do that every year with things all over the house.  We use the trailer quite a bit. 

I want to do so much to my garage.  Budget is limited though.  Will probably have to do it in stages.  Is the epoxy hard to do?  Expensive?

ltruong

« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2019, 09:14:47 pm »

Sorry to hear about the trailer.  But I agree with the philosophy, if you don't use it, loose it.  Do that every year with things all over the house.  We use the trailer quite a bit. 

I want to do so much to my garage.  Budget is limited though.  Will probably have to do it in stages.  Is the epoxy hard to do?  Expensive?
no it's not hard.  You just have to make sure your slab is  prepared the right way for the epoxy to bond after that is matter of doing the steps right.  The mixing and the painting/squeegee is fairly straight forward but you have to be 2 guys for a regular garage if you're not used to it.  The finish product is very nice.  Product is around 3$/SF

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2019, 10:24:05 pm »
With my double garage, thats a bit over $1200.  More than I can spend right now.  Maybe there is an alternative, like concrete paint or something.  I know it's not as good, but my floor is full of stains, not sure what it is.  Not oil stains.