Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63240 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:01 pm »
Appears that HI LO are back in business.  $19K USD.  Pick up in PA, USA

https://www.hilotrailer.com/home/now/wanderer

That's nasty!

Has a porta poti.  :rofl2:   I thought they had disappeared in the 90s.  Hard to imagine that they could make a business out of it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2019, 12:40:26 am »
Yeah pass on the porti poti. I would prefer to have no washroom in my small trailer though. No hassles of dealing with tanks and no winterizing. The Hi-Lo is much more practical (if you don't need the space) than a traditional pop up as it could be used in winter as well and no wet canvas to deal with if it rains.

Frankly I am pretty happy sleeping in the back of the LR4 so I might just stick with that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
Yeah pass on the porti poti. I would prefer to have no washroom in my small trailer though. No hassles of dealing with tanks and no winterizing. The Hi-Lo is much more practical (if you don't need the space) than a traditional pop up as it could be used in winter as well and no wet canvas to deal with if it rains.

Frankly I am pretty happy sleeping in the back of the LR4 so I might just stick with that.
I'm no RV trailer expert, but I do watch (on occasion) HGTV whenever they have their RV specials.

I saw one porta potty that's eco, no smell, etc. I'll have to see if I can find out what it's called.

*edit* It's called the AirHead.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:58:05 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #243 on: February 03, 2019, 12:36:16 am »
Did our demo of our trailer today. We officially pick it up March or April.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #244 on: February 03, 2019, 07:32:29 am »
Really cool!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #245 on: February 03, 2019, 09:35:19 am »
 :banana:   Nice!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2019, 12:02:45 pm »
That looks huge! I know it is probably lighter than it looks because of no slides but still... That is 30L/100km territory, your poor old Sequoia. That being said looks fancy. :thumbup:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »
Looks great Dkaz. We had a very similar layout prior to the trailer we have now. Enjoy.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2019, 10:38:17 pm »
Thanks all! It’s pretty plain compared to other trailers but we just wanted a place to sleep and use the washroom.

The only thing I need now is a trailer brake controller and I’m leaning towards the Curt Echo Wireless brake controller. I only have a 4 pin connection at the back and the only thing I need to buy is a 7 to 4 pin adapter. Wiring a power connection is optional if I want to be able to charge my trailer battery as I drive.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Curt/C51180.html

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2019, 10:50:35 pm »
Thanks all! It’s pretty plain compared to other trailers but we just wanted a place to sleep and use the washroom.

The only thing I need now is a trailer brake controller and I’m leaning towards the Curt Echo Wireless brake controller. I only have a 4 pin connection at the back and the only thing I need to buy is a 7 to 4 pin adapter. Wiring a power connection is optional if I want to be able to charge my trailer battery as I drive.

You'll need to run power to the back anyways if you want your brakes to work.

I wouldn't mess around and just get a 7 pin harness installed.  It will probably end up being cheaper than going wireless, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's done properly.

Plus, with power, your fridge can run on 12v as you drive, keeping your food (and beer) cold.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:57:36 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 07, 2019, 12:35:36 am »

I wouldn't mess around and just get a 7 pin harness installed.  It will probably end up being cheaper than going wireless, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's done properly.

Plus, with power, your fridge can run on 12v as you drive, keeping your food (and beer) cold.

The wireless unit is $310 plus $30 for 7 way harness and automatic reset circuit breaker for 12V power DIY vs. $570 for an installed wired brake controller.

My fridge is only two way, 120V or propane..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:09 am »
Your trailer looks awesome!!  Congrats!!  Not sure how I missed that....

I showed IQ the Alto R Series on the weekend and much to my astonishment she said "I think we should get one!".  Almost fell off my chair....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QLFAoUK-UE

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 07, 2019, 08:41:34 am »
Your trailer looks awesome!!  Congrats!!  Not sure how I missed that....

I showed IQ the Alto R Series on the weekend and much to my astonishment she said "I think we should get one!".  Almost fell off my chair....

Thanks! And that Alto R looks awesome! You will need a tow vehicle though.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #253 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:08 am »

Also late to the party. Great looking trailer, nicer than my first apt. Enjoy!

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2019, 08:52:06 am »

The wireless unit is $310 plus $30 for 7 way harness and automatic reset circuit breaker for 12V power DIY vs. $570 for an installed wired brake controller.

My fridge is only two way, 120V or propane..

I dunno.  I bought a wired brake controller for the van for less than $100 and wired it in myself. 
https://www.amazon.ca/Tekonsha-9030-Voyager-Electronic-Control/dp/B000UUKMLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549547215&sr=8-1&keywords=tekonsha+voyager

If you are able to DIY your power and 7-pin, then you can DIY a brake controller install.  You just need to run a brake signal line from the cab, through the firewall, and back to the hitch.  But since you're running a 12V power wire from the battery to the back anyways, you can do the brake wire at the same time.

But, Hey, that's just me.  Maybe I'm just more comfortable wiring things.  Let me know how the wireless brake controller works out for you. 

As far as the fridge, you might be able to run it on propane as you travel.  Some fridges will blow out as you drive, and others will be fine.  The only way to find out is to try, and at your first stop, check to see if the fridge pilot light is still burning.  You will have to turn off the pilot light before approaching a gas station, and relight it afterwards.  But at least it will keep your food nice and cold on an extended drive.  A 3-way 12V fridge is my favorite for travelling, as it runs off vehicle power, and is the most convenient.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Travel Trailers
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2019, 09:31:12 am »
If you are able to DIY your power and 7-pin, then you can DIY a brake controller install.  You just need to run a brake signal line from the cab, through the firewall, and back to the hitch.  But since you're running a 12V power wire from the battery to the back anyways, you can do the brake wire at the same time.

But, Hey, that's just me.  Maybe I'm just more comfortable wiring things.  Let me know how the wireless brake controller works out for you. 

As far as the fridge, you might be able to run it on propane as you travel.  Some fridges will blow out as you drive, and others will be fine.  The only way to find out is to try, and at your first stop, check to see if the fridge pilot light is still burning.  You will have to turn off the pilot light before approaching a gas station, and relight it afterwards.  But at least it will keep your food nice and cold on an extended drive.  A 3-way 12V fridge is my favorite for travelling, as it runs off vehicle power, and is the most convenient.

Running 12V power is easy, it’s the firewall I don’t want to penetrate.

Also late to the party. Great looking trailer, nicer than my first apt. Enjoy!

Thanks! It’s nicer than my house lol.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2019, 09:40:07 am »
Running 12V power is easy, it’s the firewall I don’t want to penetrate.

I just poked a hole through an existing rubber grommet.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2019, 02:24:37 pm »

That's a cool looking trailer!  Bet it's not cheap either.  Love the solar panel for a roof.  They should all come like that.

The only thing I need now is a trailer brake controller

Did you get a stabilizer hitch?  I suggest getting the fattest mofo-er you can afford.  Used to have a plain old Reese unit, for the new trailer got a Blue Ox http://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/swaypro/.  I'm sure Reese makes something like that too, or others, but the heavier, the better.  What a world of a difference, mind you it's also twice the price.  But damn, does it keep the sway down and that's even after considering our last trailer was a couple 1000 lbs (ish) less and not as tall.

I kept our propane fridge running the entire trip to BC and back...never shut it off at a gas station.  Can't say I thought about it (haha...oops...duh), but it's not like it's within 25' of the pumps anyway.  If you're only going 2-3 hrs away, the fridge should stay cold enough to get to where you're going so long as you've had it running overnight/all the time on electric.  You'll want to wire up a nice 30 amp 110V plug somewhere outside the house, it's awesome.  And fun to do!

Happy camping!  :thumbup:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2019, 05:57:08 pm »
I just poked a hole through an existing rubber grommet.

I'll take a look to see if I can find one. But we also want to try renting out the RV on rvezy.com to offset some of the ownership costs, and a mobile brake controller would be a good addon service if the renter has a 7-wa but doesn't have a trailer brake controller on their tow vehicle.

Did you get a stabilizer hitch?  I suggest getting the fattest mofo-er you can afford.  Used to have a plain old Reese unit, for the new trailer got a Blue Ox http://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/swaypro/.  I'm sure Reese makes something like that too, or others, but the heavier, the better.  What a world of a difference, mind you it's also twice the price.  But damn, does it keep the sway down and that's even after considering our last trailer was a couple 1000 lbs (ish) less and not as tall.

I kept our propane fridge running the entire trip to BC and back...never shut it off at a gas station.  Can't say I thought about it (haha...oops...duh), but it's not like it's within 25' of the pumps anyway.  If you're only going 2-3 hrs away, the fridge should stay cold enough to get to where you're going so long as you've had it running overnight/all the time on electric.  You'll want to wire up a nice 30 amp 110V plug somewhere outside the house, it's awesome.  And fun to do!

Happy camping!  :thumbup:

Yea I got it, 600 lb stabilizer hitch (they recommend getting one close to your trailer's tongue weight) with 2 way stabilization.

The guy told me to plug the trailer in before leaving to cool the freezer (and fridge) down to what it should be then anything in it will stay frozen for 12 hours, especially meat because it's well insulated almost like an ice box and no one's opening it during the trip.

Thanks!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 10, 2019, 12:11:53 pm »
Now this looks like a good time.