Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63296 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2019, 11:45:06 am »
We have used Airbnb in Rome, Amsterdam and Barcelona
It has been a good experience so far
Will be using it again this September for Athens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2019, 11:52:12 am »
We plan on buying a motorhome when I retire  in the next few years and exploring North America in it .  I've been doing some research and there are so many options, but we are coming up with a plan.
I think I might make my own thread when I get serious about it, but right now we're thinking Barbie dream machine camper
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:36:17 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2019, 12:34:10 pm »
Also been thinking about building my own class-c if I could find a decent chassis.  Mostly because i think it could be a fun winter project.

Do the school bus convert.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2019, 03:31:02 pm »
Also been thinking about building my own class-c if I could find a decent chassis.  Mostly because i think it could be a fun winter project.

Yeah, that looks pretty cozy!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:53 pm »

You'd have to do a roof-raise in a schoolie.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
Yes, motorized RV's are definitely not cheap.   

We borrowed a 30 foot RV for our bike trip across the Blue Ridge Parkway and it ended up costing $1000 for fuel. How do people afford to drive these things?

When you look at the cost of having in a trailer park for a season $3-$6k depending on location and amenities.  Some people only use it 2-3 times a year, so it's cheaper to drive it, rather than keep it in the same park.  Plus a lot cheaper than having a cottage!  My Dad has an A class.  But he vacations in the US mostly, so gas is cheaper.
A cottage might appreciate though....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2019, 05:47:30 pm »
We plan on buying a motorhome when I retire  in the next few years and exploring North America in it .  I've been doing some research and there are so many options, but we are coming up with a plan.
I think I might make my own thread when I get serious about it, but right now we're thinking Barbie dream machine camper
The owner of my place did that.

Bought the largest RV that could be built on the Sprinter platform. Had a small diesel in it. I think it was "Winnebago" brand...but I forget.

Said he was shocked at how good fuel economy was with it...and was plenty large for 2 people.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2019, 06:43:32 pm »
Yes, motorized RV's are definitely not cheap.   

We borrowed a 30 foot RV for our bike trip across the Blue Ridge Parkway and it ended up costing $1000 for fuel. How do people afford to drive these things?

When you look at the cost of having in a trailer park for a season $3-$6k depending on location and amenities.  Some people only use it 2-3 times a year, so it's cheaper to drive it, rather than keep it in the same park.  Plus a lot cheaper than having a cottage!  My Dad has an A class.  But he vacations in the US mostly, so gas is cheaper.
A cottage might appreciate though....

Maybe.  But then he would have to sell it to see the money! 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2019, 07:14:18 pm »

Friends of ours are doing a trip to Newfoundland this summer and want us to go with them.  They plan on camping out with a few hotels in between.  If we decide to go we will be renting a class-c motor home.  The RV outfit up the road from us has one in a Promaster chassis that looks good and is pretty self contained.  They're not cheap to rent though and ridiculously expensive to buy.  Friends of our wanted to buy one a couple of years ago but thought they were too much money.  They ended up getting a brand new Class A motor home for less money!

I'm still young enough that tenting is appealing, but we might cross paths in Newfoundland depending on when you go this summer

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »

That is a lot of stove for a school bus space. I like this as buses are built like brick sh1t houses.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2019, 12:30:08 pm »

Friends of ours are doing a trip to Newfoundland this summer and want us to go with them.  They plan on camping out with a few hotels in between.  If we decide to go we will be renting a class-c motor home.  The RV outfit up the road from us has one in a Promaster chassis that looks good and is pretty self contained.  They're not cheap to rent though and ridiculously expensive to buy.  Friends of our wanted to buy one a couple of years ago but thought they were too much money.  They ended up getting a brand new Class A motor home for less money!

I'm still young enough that tenting is appealing, but we might cross paths in Newfoundland depending on when you go this summer

If we do decide to go it will be the last two weeks of July.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »
So, we own this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqnqntTFk3U

Can't wait. Paid $21k out the door so I think we got a fantastic price for this unit. Our unit is a tiny little different, has a restaurant style spray faucet, tiling behind the stove with LED backlighting, and a more current colour scheme.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2019, 02:29:16 pm »
Congrats.  About the size I am looking at 21' - 26'.  On my list, has to have U shaped dinette and bunks. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2019, 02:49:54 pm »
So, we own this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqnqntTFk3U

Can't wait. Paid $21k out the door so I think we got a fantastic price for this unit. Our unit is a tiny little different, has a restaurant style spray faucet, tiling behind the stove with LED backlighting, and a more current colour scheme.

Cool,  Congrats.  Is it new?  By chance, is what you paid what it was advertised at?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2019, 03:08:36 pm »
Cool,  Congrats.  Is it new?  By chance, is what you paid what it was advertised at?

Yes new. We paid the marked down price of $19,999 and only taxes and levies on top. The MSRP was $26,995.

Congrats.  About the size I am looking at 21' - 26'.  On my list, has to have U shaped dinette and bunks.

You'll need a slide out for that configuration, look at the 24BHS GBA posted a few pages ago.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2019, 03:14:20 pm »
Also, there was a slide out version of the unit I got.

https://www.arrkannrv.com/rv/2018-FOREST-RIVER-AVENGER-26-BBS-7783

The only thing I wish we had was an outdoor kitchen and Primetime released a 26BK for this year. But there's a cubby in the back we can easily store a camp grill and stove in.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2019, 03:28:09 pm »
Congrats!  Happy camping!  You're in AB right?  I mean Alberta...not "in AB" - that would be gross... :P ::)

Check out Kinbasket Lake...not like there aren't a ton of nice places I'm sure, but it's a beaut.  Scenery is...what am I talking about...being a flatlander, all of BC/AB's mountainous region scenery is gorgeous, can't go wrong.  If our trailer wasn't such a pig I'd be tempted to haul it out there like the last one.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2019, 03:47:20 pm »
Congrats!  Happy camping!  You're in AB right?  I mean Alberta...not "in AB" - that would be gross... :P ::)

Check out Kinbasket Lake...not like there aren't a ton of nice places I'm sure, but it's a beaut.  Scenery is...what am I talking about...being a flatlander, all of BC/AB's mountainous region scenery is gorgeous, can't go wrong.  If our trailer wasn't such a pig I'd be tempted to haul it out there like the last one.

I would never hook up with someone who rotates balancing dampers and measures airflow for a living. Haha. Yes I'm in Alberta right now. Close enough to the mountains I guess.

I checked out Kinbasket, looks beautiful. Seems there's a free forestry run camp site there.

Here's the one GBA posted:
https://www.gnrcw.com/inv/2019-Forest-River-Northern-Spirit-2454BH-NS009/#mainpic

Here's one from Primetime/Forest River (same manufacturer as mine), if the one GBA posted is out of your price range:
https://www.arrkannrv.com/rv/2019-FOREST-RIVER-AVENGER-24-BHS-9150

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2019, 03:52:34 pm »
Free is nice.  We stayed at the one owned by Rick Chartraw (?) - 5 time Stanley Cup winner.  Or was it 6.  'tis beautiful for sure.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2019, 03:56:45 pm »

Yes new. We paid the marked down price of $19,999 and only taxes and levies on top. The MSRP was $26,995.

You'll need a slide out for that configuration, look at the 24BHS GBA posted a few pages ago.

I have no issues with slideouts.