Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63355 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2019, 12:23:55 am »
Nice pics btw. An advantage to living in MB it doesn't look like many people around. Most campgrounds in AB are booked solid long before summer begins. Cheek to jowl.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2019, 09:27:14 am »
Those pics do look nice. I've always thought if I got out of boating some sort of trailer/RV would be fun.
I've always wondered about the pros and cons trailer (and using your tow vehicle to get around destinations) vs a motorhome (and towing a small vehicle)?

I'm guessing cost would greatly favour option 1.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2019, 09:58:02 am »
Those pics do look nice. I've always thought if I got out of boating some sort of trailer/RV would be fun.
I've always wondered about the pros and cons trailer (and using your tow vehicle to get around destinations) vs a motorhome (and towing a small vehicle)?

Yes, motorized RV's are definitely not cheap.   A Class C (the kind that is built on a truck/van chassis) is about $80k when built on a Ford gasser chassis.  They run $100k+ when built on a Sprinter diesel chassis.

The Class A (buses) start at $100k for a gasser, and then about $200k+ for a diesel pusher.  Definitely not for the budget minded.

Conversely, a couple of years ago we wanted to get into RV'ing for cheap.  we bought a used van for $13k, a used trailer for $4k, and then kitted it out for another couple grand.  All-in, we had a compete setup for significantly less than $20k. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2019, 10:52:23 am »

Yes, motorized RV's are definitely not cheap.   A Class C (the kind that is built on a truck/van chassis) is about $80k when built on a Ford gasser chassis.  They run $100k+ when built on a Sprinter diesel chassis.

The Class A (buses) start at $100k for a gasser, and then about $200k+ for a diesel pusher.  Definitely not for the budget minded.

Conversely, a couple of years ago we wanted to get into RV'ing for cheap.  we bought a used van for $13k, a used trailer for $4k, and then kitted it out for another couple grand.  All-in, we had a compete setup for significantly less than $20k.

And a van or truck can be used for daily driving.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2019, 02:36:14 pm »
I was hoping to find a pic of where I park mine, can't...live on a corner lot, and have it parked on the yard right beside the sidewalk.  Year round. Blocks the neighbours house almost completely (yay!  ;D). Last summer I installed a permanent 30 amp plug on the deck so I can keep it plugged in all summer on the big black camper cord. Can even run the AC if we have to.  I think we only used it 4, maybe 5 times last year.  Often feel like it's a waste.  But...I do like it for camping.  28' is nice.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:22 pm »
Yes, motorized RV's are definitely not cheap.   

We borrowed a 30 foot RV for our bike trip across the Blue Ridge Parkway and it ended up costing $1000 for fuel. How do people afford to drive these things?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2019, 04:19:04 pm »

We borrowed a 30 foot RV for our bike trip across the Blue Ridge Parkway and it ended up costing $1000 for fuel. How do people afford to drive these things?

When you look at the cost of having in a trailer park for a season $3-$6k depending on location and amenities.  Some people only use it 2-3 times a year, so it's cheaper to drive it, rather than keep it in the same park.  Plus a lot cheaper than having a cottage!  My Dad has an A class.  But he vacations in the US mostly, so gas is cheaper.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2019, 04:27:18 pm »

Plus a lot cheaper than having a cottage!
Do travel trailers appreciate in value like real estate?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2019, 04:33:33 pm »

Railton

Not that I know of.  Only reason I can think of.  Some RV parks, if you want a certain site, you have to buy the trailer (if there is one) that is currently on the site.  A lot of it depends on the age of the trailer, and where the trailer was bought from.  Some private parks, make deals with local trailer dealerships. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2019, 08:43:19 pm »

Railton

Maybe if Buick made trailers. Homes depreciate too, but the land it sits on often appreciate.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2019, 08:45:16 pm »

Railton

Maybe if Buick made trailers. Homes depreciate too, but the land it sits on often appreciate.

Even in the COTU?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2019, 09:26:29 pm »
Even in COTU and Vancouver.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2019, 12:59:53 am »
RV parks in Ontario at least are a dying breed.  MOE has been shutting trailer parks down in vacation land one after another over the past 5 years because few parks can meet the current sewage handling standards.  Most parks are 40 plus years old and when their ancient ground handling systems tanked they began installing steel drums on each site that would be pumped out on a regular basis. Those are now banned.  Now small operators who have a 14 week season are looking at millions to upgrade.  Not going to happen.  Not many RVers into dry camping me thinks.  End of an great era.  Protecting the "environment" really sucks when it wrecks one's life style.  :P

https://newterra.com/ontario-rv-park-mbr

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2019, 07:21:36 am »

Well, coming from a boat with twin 7.4L 300hp inboards that burn around 30 US gallons/hour at cruise that wouldn't seem too bad to me. ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2019, 08:33:07 am »
We went tenting a few times last year and only once in a campground.  That was in Nova Scotia and it was half empty so pretty enjoyable.  Prov parks in NS are pretty decent.  I used to do a lot of wilderness camping many years ago and really enjoyed that.  I don't enjoy tenting anymore though.  I just can't get comfortable anymore and have a hard time sleeping.  Also, one thing that bugs me most about camping around here is the crazy high humidity.  Wake up in the am and everything is clammy, or soaked until noon.  Maybe I'm just getting wimpy but I hate dealing with that!  :P

Friends of ours are doing a trip to Newfoundland this summer and want us to go with them.  They plan on camping out with a few hotels in between.  If we decide to go we will be renting a class-c motor home.  The RV outfit up the road from us has one in a Promaster chassis that looks good and is pretty self contained.  They're not cheap to rent though and ridiculously expensive to buy.  Friends of our wanted to buy one a couple of years ago but thought they were too much money.  They ended up getting a brand new Class A motor home for less money! 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:35:08 am by KD »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2019, 09:06:50 am »
We went tenting a few times last year and only once in a campground.  That was in Nova Scotia and it was half empty so pretty enjoyable.  Prov parks in NS are pretty decent.  I used to do a lot of wilderness camping many years ago and really enjoyed that.  I don't enjoy tenting anymore though.  I just can't get comfortable anymore and have a hard time sleeping.  Also, one thing that bugs me most about camping around here is the crazy high humidity.  Wake up in the am and everything is clammy, or soaked until noon.  Maybe I'm just getting wimpy but I hate dealing with that!  :P

Friends of ours are doing a trip to Newfoundland this summer and want us to go with them.  They plan on camping out with a few hotels in between.  If we decide to go we will be renting a class-c motor home.  The RV outfit up the road from us has one in a Promaster chassis that looks good and is pretty self contained.  They're not cheap to rent though and ridiculously expensive to buy.  Friends of our wanted to buy one a couple of years ago but thought they were too much money.  They ended up getting a brand new Class A motor home for less money!

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for a Pop-up trailer.  It mixes the open-feeling of tenting, with the convenience of RV-ing.  You can install air-conditioning units, so as long as you're staying at an electric site, the inside remains cool and dry on those hot days.  Pop-ups are excellent at dry camping.  They can be setup to go boondocking (no defined campground, just park it on crown land somewhere) for weeks at a time, with a large enough battery and a solar panel.  At provincial parks, some of the best sites are non-powered sites, and you'll often have the entire bay to yourself, as all the 'hard-siders' like to stick to the electric sites so they can power their AC units and TV's. 

Pop-Ups are excellent companions on long road trips, as their light weight and low profile means you don't take a massive hit on fuel economy.  When we went to Banff/Jasper last summer, I think our trip average was somewhere around 13-14L/100kms, but that was with a canoe strapped to the top of the trailer.  Sans the canoe, we would have been closer to 12L/100kms. 

I'm so enamored with our pop-up, that when we buy a bigger trailer, I'm planning on keeping our pop-up and using it a couple of times a year.  I can sneak it into those desirable water-front, unpowered sites where bigger trailers won't fit, and it will be our companion when we go on long, cross-country road trips (just so we don't have to pay the fuel economy penalty that comes with a big trailer).

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:57 am »

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for a Pop-up trailer.  It mixes the open-feeling of tenting, with the convenience of RV-ing.  You can install air-conditioning units, so as long as you're staying at an electric site, the inside remains cool and dry on those hot days.  Pop-ups are excellent at dry camping.  They can be setup to go boondocking (no defined campground, just park it on crown land somewhere) for weeks at a time, with a large enough battery and a solar panel.  At provincial parks, some of the best sites are non-powered sites, and you'll often have the entire bay to yourself, as all the 'hard-siders' like to stick to the electric sites so they can power their AC units and TV's. 

Pop-Ups are excellent companions on long road trips, as their light weight and low profile means you don't take a massive hit on fuel economy.  When we went to Banff/Jasper last summer, I think our trip average was somewhere around 13-14L/100kms, but that was with a canoe strapped to the top of the trailer.  Sans the canoe, we would have been closer to 12L/100kms. 

I'm so enamored with our pop-up, that when we buy a bigger trailer, I'm planning on keeping our pop-up and using it a couple of times a year.  I can sneak it into those desirable water-front, unpowered sites where bigger trailers won't fit, and it will be our companion when we go on long, cross-country road trips (just so we don't have to pay the fuel economy penalty that comes with a big trailer).

I've thought about pop-ups and looked at a few that we're interesting.  I put a hitch on the GS350 soon after I bought it so it could haul a small pop-up no problem.  It's a possibility.  Also been thinking about building my own class-c if I could find a decent chassis.  Mostly because i think it could be a fun winter project.  Problem is most are beat by the time they are sold unless you get a retired rental.  Also needs to be something that would fit in my garage so I don't have to work outside. 

I've got the power supply thing figured anyway.  I acquired a power plant a couple of years ago that would supply all my electrical needs for several hours after dark.  I've been using it to power my HT equipment for now during power outages but i got it with RVing in mind.  Just need a solar panel.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:39:56 am by KD »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2019, 09:55:13 am »
I thought about getting a slide in camper on my truck
I am happy write that thought has pass  :rofl2:
I will Airbnb it

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:07 am »
I will Airbnb it

Slide-in campers are nice, but they're only really useful if you need to also tow a boat or some other trailer (couple of quads, maybe)? behind your truck.  Otherwise, slide-in campers are very small and cramped, and come with almost as large of a fuel economy penalty as a travel trailer. 

So, unless you need to tow a toy, you might as well get a trailer.

My Dad had 3 of them, but the first two were concurrent with also having a fifth wheel, so my Mum didn't complain too much, as he only ever took the truck camper on his solo fishing trips.

When they retired, and they both started travelling with the camper, just for the sake of travelling and not fishing, I think they lasted for one trip before my Mom made him sell the camper and truck and buy a Class C RV instead.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:00:16 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2019, 11:29:13 am »
I will Airbnb it

Well, given the cost of motorhomes and the rise of VRBO, Airbnb etc etc that's not an unreasonable option.  There are plenty of waterfront cottages, mountain cabins etc available online these days all over North America and beyond.