Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63346 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2019, 04:46:56 pm »
Question to you travel trailer aficionados...where do you store it when not in use?

Now that I have a dog, I'm taking a closer look at this set up for family vacations and such...just curious thx

It depends on city by-laws and regulations.  I'll use Winnipeg as an example.

From May 15 to October 31st you're allowed to park your Trailer or Motorhome on your driveway.  This allows you easy access to it during the summer months when you may be prepping it for a trip. 

From November 1st to May 14th (i.e. the winter months) you are NOT allowed to store a trailer or motorhome on your driveway IN FRONT of your home.  You CAN, however, store it beside your home, such that no part of the trailer extends past the front of the dwelling.  If you have a wide enough sideyard, you can leave your trailer there year-round.  If you do not have a side-yard, you must pay to store it at an alternative location, as has been mentioned above.

In my case, I have enough of a sideyard that I can move a trailer into my backyard and store it there for the winter.  I modified my fence to have a moveable section so that I can do so.  During the summer months I just park my trailer in the driveway so its easily accessible.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2019, 05:14:56 pm »
Hm, it seems I'm not allowed to park unattached trailers on Edmonton's city streets. I am already planning on storing my trailer at a storage place, $45/mo not bad. I could also extend my rear driveway into my backyard.

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/parking-storage-of-rvs-or-trai.aspx

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2019, 05:27:46 pm »
Hm, it seems I'm not allowed to park unattached trailers on Edmonton's city streets. I am already planning on storing my trailer at a storage place, $45/mo not bad. I could also extend my rear driveway into my backyard.

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/parking-storage-of-rvs-or-trai.aspx
$45 doesn't seem like highway robbery IMO..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2019, 05:29:35 pm »

That's what my work partner does.  Stores his at the RV dealer he bought it from.  Best thing is they guarantee against rodents.  We both had bad experiences of rodents getting into stuff parked outside.  Squirrels did $1200 dollars worth of damage to the interior of boat i once owned.  Worst part was the lost time and logistics of getting it fixed. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:56 am »
Kids have a PA day today.  Hamilton RV show is Friday - Sunday.  Kids under 13 are free.  Tickets online are $9, free parking.  5 min away.  Not an expensive time out.  Just have to be sure to leave the VISA at home. 

https://www.ontariorvshows.com/

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2019, 08:52:16 am »
Kids have a PA day today.  Hamilton RV show is Friday - Sunday.  Kids under 13 are free.  Tickets online are $9, free parking.  5 min away.  Not an expensive time out.  Just have to be sure to leave the VISA at home. 

Have fun!!  We're going to the Winnipeg show on March 7th in the evening. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:26 am »

Have fun!!  We're going to the Winnipeg show on March 7th in the evening.

The Toronto is bigger and has more stuff.  But I don't need to do that every year.  Especially since I won't be purchasing for a bit. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2019, 11:16:46 am »
Storage lots are a PITA. This is how the camping trip goes...

Thursday. Drive 30 mins each way to pick up trailer and bring home.
Friday. Load Trailer with detritus. Fix all the issues. Likely 4-5 hours prepping.
Saturday. Drag family and trailer at 25L/100km to crowded campground.
Sunday Camp
Monday. Drive in traffic back and unload trailer.
Tuesday. Unload Trailer and prep for storage
Wednesday. Haul trailer back to storage lot.

Use trailer 5 times first year, 3 times second year and none in third year.

Pay storage fees for additional 3 years while you try to unsuccessfully try to unload it while dealing with Kijij lowballers.

Circle of life with a trailer.

In all seriousness buy something small enough to at least put in garage if you can't have it out front. That being said neighbourhoods that allow trailers out front always end up looking like some type of Pikey encampment in a few months.

S

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2019, 11:26:13 am »

Friday. Load Trailer with detritus. Fix all the issues. Likely 4-5 hours prepping.
Sunday Camp

Pay storage fees for additional 3 years while you try to unsuccessfully try to unload it while dealing with Kijij lowballers.

In all seriousness buy something small enough to at least put in garage if you can't have it out front. That being said neighbourhoods that allow trailers out front always end up looking like some type of Pikey encampment in a few months.

S

HEY...thats not totally true....we are currently looking for a lake lot to park our trailer at. Travelling with a camper is for suckas, I would rather fly and rent a car or just drive and stay in motels.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2019, 11:44:55 am »
  The people who achieve trailer enlightenment find a place to drag them to and leave them  there.  ;D   I could see spending a few thousand on an old trailer to stash at a ski hill but that lifestyle is being stamped out (see the discussion on the cost of skiing). Dragging these boxes around = no fun.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2019, 11:49:21 am »

Sunday Camp

Thanks for the bucket of cold water :) Yes, I think its easy to fall in love with the idea...I got hooked with this review, but maybe when I'm retired and can afford to spend several weeks out, with just my wife.

https://jalopnik.com/a-2018-ford-f-150-diesel-pulling-an-airstream-basecamp-1827374253

I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2019, 11:49:35 am »
HEY...thats not totally true....we are currently looking for a lake lot to park our trailer at. Travelling with a camper is for suckas, I would rather fly and rent a car or just drive and stay in motels.

IMO, that doesn't solve the being near people problem.   I'd MUCH rather go backcountry camping, preferably with a boat.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2019, 11:49:55 am »
We park our trailer in the driveway year-round. Cheaper in the winter, and of course super handy in the summer. We leave it plugged in so the fridge is always on and full of beer and condiments and stuff. It’s pretty quick to get ready to go for a weekend.

Having said that, it’s ugly as fack and generally an eyesore in the neighborhood. Thankfully, we’re the only ones who do it though. ;D  If they change the bylaw one day, I won’t complain. I’m cheap, but paying to put it in a storage lot for the winter wouldn’t be a deal breaker. Having to go fetch it every time in the summer might be, though.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:51:44 am by HeliDriver »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2019, 11:52:20 am »

IMO, that doesn't solve the being near people problem.   I'd MUCH rather go backcountry camping, preferably with a boat.

Yeah...but that involves camping...in a tent. Nope, no thank you.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2019, 12:06:01 pm »
That being said neighbourhoods that allow trailers out front always end up looking like some type of Pikey encampment in a few months.

Haven't heard the term Pikey for a while.  Do you like dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDO-9hfaiI

Language of course.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2019, 12:08:02 pm »
A nice way to camp and not be near people.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:27 pm »
That being said neighbourhoods that allow trailers out front always end up looking like some type of Pikey encampment in a few months.

Haven't heard the term Pikey for a while.  Do you like dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDO-9hfaiI

Language of course.

Great scene. This is what most trailer campgrounds remind me of  ;D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:41 pm »
So, to all the above:

Being able to park your trailer in your driveway all summer is a HUGE plus. 

My BIL doesn't have a driveway (back alley, entire driveway is filled with Garage), so he needs to store his trailer year-round, and go pick it up a couple of days before they leave for a trip, streetparking it in front of the house.  You need to buy a special permit to street park a trailer for more than an hour, and then you can only do it for like 3 days per permit.  So that's additional cost, additional hassle, etc. 

I, on the other hand, actually have a driveway that is large enough to keep a trailer all summer.  And I have enough room to to move it to the backyard for winter storage.  My trailer (currently my small pop-up, but I have enough room for a larger trailer, too) is on my property at all times, and remains in accordance with all by-laws.  This makes it easy to prep for a weekend away throughout the week without any hassle whatsoever.  Pack the trailer during the week (really it's only food and clothes...all the rest of the camping gear just stays in the trailer), then hitch up after work on Friday, and away we go. 

Part of the draw of having something on wheels is that we can go to a different campground/campsite each time.  One weekend we can go on a group trip with friends and family, and all have sites next to each other so all the kids can play together, and we can be social.  Other weekends, it's just us, and we can pick a more remote campground, possibly with a water-front campsite, (even if it's battery power, we're set up for that now).  We are exploring different places all the times.  Sure, we have our favourites that we like to go to, but we always do a couple of new parks that we've never visited every year. 

If I wanted to visit the same place all the time, I would just look to buy a cabin somewhere and be done with it.  But that's not the experience that I want, so a trailer it is, and a new campground with a different view every weekend. 

A different view, each and every time:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:15:14 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
I'm pretty sure in Ontario most municipality have the exact same Rv trailer and 5th wheel bylaws.  However, it all boils down to enforcement and that only occurs if the town gets a complaint and then the are forced to act.  The smaller the municipality the easy going the residents are about these type of things.

All non motorized "RV" travel trailers must be behind the face of the front wall of the dwelling and there can only be one per property year round.

Self propelled RVs can be parked anywhere on the property as long as the have a current renewal tag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2019, 08:21:13 pm »
I've stayed in an A-Liner a few times.

Liked it.