Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63409 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2018, 03:05:19 pm »
Outdoor kitchens seem to be the new thing on travel trailers these days.  You get a little fridge, sink, and stove.  Wonderful idea, as you can cook under the awning while hanging out with people that are around the fire, rather than being all cooped up inside a trailer

It looks great, particularly indoors at a show.  Here's the problem(s).  First is added weight.  That particular TT is 5200 lbs. dry!  The second is just double stuff to break.  Third relates to the first half of the season .... black flies and mosquitos.  Huddling around a good fire is one thing, but standing beside a trailer is usually not possible without a screened tent. 

I have been ruminating about getting an ultra light to take on extended trips across Canada/Yukon, etc. and the northwestern USA once my wife gets the boot from government whenever that may be.  2020 would work well.  So I have narrowed the search down to this sucker:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/no-boundaries        19.5 version (without the kyacks  :P)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFD37NhGa8

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2018, 03:12:14 pm »
Yeah, Utah.

Sounds great.  So lots of space and elbow room.  No hordes to battle with.  Nice and relaxed atmosphere I take it?

What are the temps like?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2018, 03:14:57 pm »

I have been ruminating about getting an ultra light to take on extended trips across Canada/Yukon, etc. and the northwestern USA once my wife gets the boot from government whenever that may be.  2020 would work well.  So I have narrowed the search down to this sucker:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/no-boundaries        19.5 version (without the kyacks  :P)

Looks neat, but weren’t you recently warning of the dangers of single-axle boat trailers? A tire failure on a single-axle travel trailer isn’t going to be much fun, either.

And those things are narrow. I guess they do that for less weight and wind resistance, but it must be cramped in there. And the wheels already stick out, so not like the trailer itself is any narrower.

I know they show a 4-Runner towing it, but I’d say screw it and get a 8’-wide, 20’-24’ regular trailer and a 1/2 ton to pull it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »
Yeah, Utah.

Sounds great.  So lots of space and elbow room.  No hordes to battle with.  Nice and relaxed atmosphere I take it?

What are the temps like?

Ridiculous amount of space. I’m currently waiting to charge up the battery in my toy truck hobby RC vehicle so I can walk 50’ to the desert and take it for a rip. View from our campsite:

It can get busy here, but once we’re out on the trails, you pretty much have the place to yourself. Temps this time of year are perfect for mountain biking and dirt biking: usually 10-25 degrees Celsius. And very rarely rains.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »

Looks neat, but weren’t you recently warning of the dangers of single-axle boat trailers? A tire failure on a single-axle travel trailer isn’t going to be much fun, either.

And those things are narrow. I guess they do that for less weight and wind resistance, but it must be cramped in there. And the wheels already stick out, so not like the trailer itself is any narrower.

I know they show a 4-Runner towing it, but I’d say screw it and get a 8’-wide, 20’-24’ regular trailer and a 1/2 ton to pull it.

A 4-Runner can pull one of those, too.  My BIL pulls his 23' MicroLite with his 4-Runner.  He's at the upper limit weight-wise, but it pulls just fine. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2018, 03:55:37 pm »

It looks great, particularly indoors at a show.  Here's the problem(s).  First is added weight.  That particular TT is 5200 lbs. dry!  The second is just double stuff to break.  Third relates to the first half of the season .... black flies and mosquitos.  Huddling around a good fire is one thing, but standing beside a trailer is usually not possible without a screened tent. 

If the mosquitos are particularly bad, you always have the option of cooking indoors.  And yes, I get that these kitchens add weight, but I'm assuming the person who buys such a trailer will have a right-sized tow vehicle to pull it.  Any V8 half-ton will be able to pull that trailer.  I just happen to think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Plus, are you forgetting?  I'm from Winnipeg.  Our mosquitos here are the size of baseballs.  And there are a LOT of them.  Plus, we have a pop-up, and do 100% of our cooking outdoors.  So I'm well aware of the conditions and challenges faced with outdoor cooking/eating.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:00:47 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2018, 04:35:35 pm »

In the context that boat trailers come with bottom line tires, whose trailers almost always stay outside in the sun forever and are commonly a decade old and then some.  I've had 2 single axle trailer failures and they were both wheel bearings that let go from zero maintenance which represents 95% of single axle trailers on the road.

Those particular tires on that unit are E rated.  Very heavy duty. Plus it will be parked indoors.  Only 9'7" with AC unit.

I've just got rid of a full size 25' TT slide jobbie 2 years ago.  A pic is on a memory stick somewhere. I'll look for it. Towed it one time and didn't enjoy it.  Too much bulk and I find then all cramped and dark when the door is closed anyways.  I just need a dry bath, a slide, a walk around bed and TV.

They say this one is only 88" so minus 12" for the wheels which leaves 7'4" for the body which is makes it easy to see around with standard mirrors.  I find that very appealing.   Absolutely loaded (2 20lb. tanks, 2 big batteries, 50 gals of water) say a tic under 4000 lbs.  Towing with a 1/2 Crew short box.  That is about as easy as it gets.  That's what I'm looking for ... easy.  Didn't think I'd say it or do it, but it's an old age thing.   :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2018, 04:49:31 pm »
A 4-Runner can pull one of those, too.  My BIL pulls his 23' MicroLite with his 4-Runner.  He's at the upper limit weight-wise, but it pulls just fine.

He's over the limit.  However, I have pulled so many overloaded trailers in the past it's ridiculous to think back about it.  As long as nothing bad happens ever thing is fine.  But things have drastically changed lately.  The authorities no longer look the other way.  Insurance companies really don't look the other way.  If there is a road accident, regardless of fault, blood will be spilled and it won't be mine.   Overloading is gross negligence.  Kiss one's insurance policy good bye.  If a death occurs then you'd be looking at a criminal negligence charge.  In the USA they'd throw you in jail without bond. :o

It was very sly of those Forest River ppl to show a 4 Runner in the pic towing that NB 19.5    They are rated at 5000.  Almost all SUVs, similar in appearance to a 4 Runner, are rated at 3500. which would be not enough.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2018, 05:17:56 pm »

He's over the limit.  However, I have pulled so many overloaded trailers in the past it's ridiculous to think back about it.  As long as nothing bad happens ever thing is fine.  But things have drastically changed lately.  The authorities no longer look the other way.  Insurance companies really don't look the other way.  If there is a road accident, regardless of fault, blood will be spilled and it won't be mine.   Overloading is gross negligence.  Kiss one's insurance policy good bye.  If a death occurs then you'd be looking at a criminal negligence charge.  In the USA they'd throw you in jail without bond. :o

It was very sly of those Forest River ppl to show a 4 Runner in the pic towing that NB 19.5    They are rated at 5000.  Almost all SUVs, similar in appearance to a 4 Runner, are rated at 3500. which would be not enough.

WRONG.

My BIL is such a goody two-shoes, he'll be the last person to inadvertently be illegal.  He bought the 4-Runner and the Micro-Lite within months of each other, and the research and purchase of both vehicles were dependant on each other.  I helped him figure out his GCWR, Trailer GVWR, Vehicle Cargo Weight, etc..

UVW on his 2014 Rockwood MicroLite 23LB is 3759lbs,  CCC is 937lbs, for a GVWR of 4696lbs, max.  His 2013 4-Runner has a GCWR of 11 300lbs.  His SR5 has a curb weight of 4675lbs.  11 300lbs - 4696lbs = 6604lbs.  This means he can comfortably tow the rated capacity of 5000lbs, and still have 1600lbs of cargo/passenger capacity inside the vehicle.    He's fully equipped with airbags in the rear suspension AND a WDH. 

He's within the limit, fully equipped, and perfectly legal.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:34:04 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2018, 05:56:08 pm »
How can these trailer companies call 3500 lb "lite"? Prolite in Quebec makes 1000-2000 lb trailers.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2018, 06:13:31 pm »
They're 'LITE' compared to the 5000 - 6000lbs that this class of trailer used to weigh in the nineties and 2000's.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2018, 08:54:10 pm »
UVW on his 2014 Rockwood MicroLite 23LB is 3759lbs.

Well the lightest 23ft Rockwood Microlite is 4100 lbs dry.  Need a link for your claim of 3759 lbs.  Dual axle trailers always weight more than that.  So depending on amount of occupants (assuming it's 4 ppl) he is running maxed because the trailer will be holding most of the luggage and provisions due to small cargo area.  I agree he is legal enough after checking those Rockwood weights.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2018, 10:48:43 pm »
Nice little couple coach with 2 kids.  Too bad it's no longer available at that weight, if in fact that is the correct weight, as it's not the manufacturers site.  Exact same unit on Forest River site is 4121 lbs.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/rockwood-mini-lite?Tab=1

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:27 pm »
The new one is a little different.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2018, 06:09:09 pm »
New Big Dog in the campground today. Not sure what’s in the trailer, but it’s so tall I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lift and two of them.

Alberta plates on this one, which I found a bit surprising.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2018, 08:27:05 pm »
What campground is that? Looks like barren wasteland. ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2018, 08:32:12 pm »
New Big Dog in the campground today. Not sure what’s in the trailer, but it’s so tall I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lift and two of them.

Alberta plates on this one, which I found a bit surprising.

You certainly could not drive that on a standard licence in Ont...I think even some of those enormous Prevost RVs push the limit as well.  And if a towed car is counted in the weight limit for sure not.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:54 pm »

Barren wasteland? You betcha!  ;D

But I can dirt bike right from the trailer and be on some pretty great singletrack in minutes! (In case you’ve been here, it’s the Archview campground north of Moab.)

You certainly could not drive that on a standard licence in Ont...I think even some of those enormous Prevost RVs push the limit as well.  And if a towed car is counted in the weight limit for sure not.

Not sure what the law is, but I’d certainly expect you’d need at least a Class 3 license for that. Maybe even Class 1 because of the trailer?

I’m not sure about those giant Prevost rigs, either. It’s basically a bus, so I’d expect you’d need a Class 2, but for some reason I think you can actually drive them with a regular Class 4 5.  ???

Looking into it a bit further, it seems that in Alberta it all comes down to number of axles and whether it has air brakes. It seems that if you’re not carrying passengers for hire, you can drive one of those giant, bus-sized RVs with just a regular Class 5 driver’s license. Crazy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:30:36 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2018, 08:43:13 pm »

Barren wasteland? You betcha!  ;D

But I can dirt bike right from the trailer and be on some pretty great singletrack in minutes! (In case you’ve been here, it’s the Archview campground north of Moab.)

Not sure what the law is, but I’d certainly expect you’d need at least a Class 3 license for that. Maybe even Class 1 because of the trailer?

I’m not sure about those giant Prevost rigs, either. It’s basically a bus, so I’d expect you’d need a Class 2, but for some reason I think you can actually drive them with a regular Class 4.  ???

Yeah ok you are forgiven ;D  I though it was eastern Alberta. ;)