Author Topic: Travel Trailers  (Read 63373 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Travel Trailers
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »
Looks like my son is getting this unit
http://travel-mortrailersales.com/?property=2011-23bhd-visa

Wish him many years of fun rving.  Towing with a truck I assume?  Too big for mid-size SUV's or vans.
He has a f-150 crew cab

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2017, 12:47:43 am »
Trying to convince my wife to upgrade from our pop up trailer to this travel trailer.  2017 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 242BHSW

http://www.sicardrv.com/rv-inventory/new/travel-trailers/2017-jayco-jay-flight-slx-242bhsw/529702/

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2017, 10:35:03 am »
What would you pull it with?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52:04 am »
You need a truck to pull that one...or a BOF SUV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »
What would you pull it with?

When the lease is up on GC (24 months), I have to a truck! Totally sucks!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:24 am »
GBA,

Reviving this thread, as I am sure you will post some of the models you liked at the RV show.  I missed the Toronto one, as I have the house up for sale, and can't afford a divorce at this time!  :rofl2:   But it will come back in the fall again. 

Anyway, there are some decent Spring specials.  Fall are better of course.  But selection is limited, because certain floor plans are more popular. 

This is my favourite.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2018-jay-flight-slx/242bhs/

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2018-jay-flight-slx/242bhs/

Seen it close to $21k on special.

Double bunks means the kids won't out grow anytime soon.  And I like U-shaped dinettes. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2018, 10:07:27 am »
Nice revive.  I'm more interested in pop-up trailers rather than travel trailers, but still, I guess the title applies. 

My BIL has a 23' Micro-Lite trailer with a similar layout (although different).  No slide.  His priority was weight, as he's towing it with a V6 4-Runner, and he's approaching the limit of his tow vehicle.  http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=203&Image=5387&ModelID=897#Main

My wife has seen travel trailers with the outdoor kitchen like the Jayco you posted, and thinks it is a great idea.  We never do any of our cooking inside our trailer, preferring to cook everything outside under the awning. 

We're going to the Manitoba RV show this weekend (as indicated in a previous thread), so we'll have a look at some of the trailers that are in our price and tow range (mostly pop-ups), as well as some of the bigger, more flashy trailers that are just fun to look at.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:09:26 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

ltruong

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2018, 10:57:26 am »
Hehe I’ve been surfing the internet too for RVs.  Right now I have a 10ft pop up trailer. It’s good but here in Alberta and in the mountains it’s gets cold at night even in the summers.  Some nights around the zeros is not uncommon in July.  So hopefully if my business is going great next year I might sell the pop up and buy a hybrid/expandable.  It would clear space in my garage too.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/medicine-hat/2008-trail-cruiser-c-21rbh-reduced/1286314695?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

I’ve been look My at these trail cruisers  Some of them are a bit smaller(19ft. Single axle) and some are rated around 2700dry. The sienna chat room has a bunch of them getting pulled.  It’s expandable only on one side and it has a bunk on the other end with the bottom double. The U shape dinner table is also a queen. This way I figure we could camp earlier and later in the seasons. If it’s too cold at night we can just use the table and leave the expandable section closed and have all hard walls for night time.  Summer hot days we can used the expandable bed and extra space.  It had full fridge, tub for the kids and it’s small/light enough to haul around without being too much of a pain.  Best of both worlds, I my head at least.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2018, 10:59:56 am »
Nice revive.  I'm more interested in pop-up trailers rather than travel trailers, but still, I guess the title applies. 

My BIL has a 23' Micro-Lite trailer with a similar layout (although different).  No slide.  His priority was weight, as he's towing it with a V6 4-Runner, and he's approaching the limit of his tow vehicle.  http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=203&Image=5387&ModelID=897#Main

My wife has seen travel trailers with the outdoor kitchen like the Jayco you posted, and thinks it is a great idea.  We never do any of our cooking inside our trailer, preferring to cook everything outside under the awning. 

We're going to the Manitoba RV show this weekend (as indicated in a previous thread), so we'll have a look at some of the trailers that are in our price and tow range (mostly pop-ups), as well as some of the bigger, more flashy trailers that are just fun to look at.

My wife prefer's pop ups as well.  Pros and Cons of each trailer type.  I am a light sleeper, so ambient noise bothers me more in a pop up.  On long trips, if we want to rest for a few hours, depending on the layout, you can do that in travel trailer.  Also sometimes I may want to leave the trailer at a site for a few weeks, and I may be away for few days in between.  Don't want to have to pop up the trailer every time.  We camp an average of 18 days a year.  So a travel trailer wouldn't be wasted.

Weight was more of a concern before, but since I will get a truck for work down the road, it is less of an issue now.  But I still would like to stay under 25'

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:54 am »

My wife prefer's pop ups as well.  Pros and Cons of each trailer type.  I am a light sleeper, so ambient noise bothers me more in a pop up.  On long trips, if we want to rest for a few hours, depending on the layout, you can do that in travel trailer.  Also sometimes I may want to leave the trailer at a site for a few weeks, and I may be away for few days in between.  Don't want to have to pop up the trailer every time.  We camp an average of 18 days a year.  So a travel trailer wouldn't be wasted.

Weight was more of a concern before, but since I will get a truck for work down the road, it is less of an issue now.  But I still would like to stay under 25'

See, I am quite the opposite with the sleeping situation.  Ambient noise doesn't bother me.  One of my favorite things to do on a hot summer night when camping is to leave the end flap fully open, so that it is like I am sleeping in the open air.  I can see the stars from my bed, and hear the insects and the pitter-patter of the rain if it drizzles a little.  I love it. 
During the day, we open all the flaps of the camper, so that there is nothing but screen between the inside of the trailer and the outdoors.  It really promotes a nice, open air feel, and gets that cool breeze flowing through, which is glorious on a hot day.  Nothing like laying down for an afternoon nap and feeling a nice breeze on your face. 

Also, my BIL in law will be towing his trailer to Banff with us this summer.  My gas bill will easily be half of what his is, possibly less than half.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2018, 11:18:03 am »

See, I am quite the opposite with the sleeping situation.  Ambient noise doesn't bother me.  One of my favorite things to do on a hot summer night when camping is to leave the end flap fully open, so that it is like I am sleeping in the open air.  I can see the stars from my bed, and hear the insects and the pitter-patter of the rain if it drizzles a little.  I love it. 
During the day, we open all the flaps of the camper, so that there is nothing but screen between the inside of the trailer and the outdoors.  It really promotes a nice, open air feel, and gets that cool breeze flowing through, which is glorious on a hot day.  Nothing like laying down for an afternoon nap and feeling a nice breeze on your face. 

Also, my BIL in law will be towing his trailer to Banff with us this summer.  My gas bill will easily be half of what his is, possibly less than half.

Sure I leave the flaps open during the day as well.  But can't stand the birds at 5am.  Or pouring rain on the flaps.  The maintenance of the canvas is a pain too.  The fuel consumption is more for sure.  But like I said pros and cons.  He has a lot more features.  Using the washroom at 3am inside the trailer is a nice perk. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2018, 11:30:53 am »

Sure I leave the flaps open during the day as well.  But can't stand the birds at 5am.  Or pouring rain on the flaps.  The maintenance of the canvas is a pain too.  The fuel consumption is more for sure.  But like I said pros and cons.  He has a lot more features.  Using the washroom at 3am inside the trailer is a nice perk.

There are definitely some nice perks to having a travel trailer.  Comfort is indeed higher.  BIL can carry more stuff, and has more storage.  The bathroom is a nice touch.  Setup and Breakdown is definitely easier with a travel trailer, especially in the rain. And when you're stuck indoors during a rainy day, he's got just that little bit extra room than we do. 

That being said, at this point in my life, I like the feeling of 'camping', which is something you get more of with a pop-up than with a travel trailer.  The setup/teardown doesn't bother me at this point, because I'm still young enough to be able to do it easily.  The next trailer we look for will definitely be a pop-up, but I will likely look for a newer 12' box with a dining slide and an optional cassette toilet.  It will approach the upper limit of what my van can tow, but will still be within the limits (about 3000lbs with passengers and cargo inside the van).  Something similar to this: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=155&Image=5056&ModelID=935#Main

Later in life, once the kids have left, I may decide that I don't want to deal with the hassle of the setup and teardown, and opt for a small travel trailer, or even a A-liner that would be good for just the wife and I.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:35:36 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2018, 12:23:56 pm »
the hybrids are nice.  But comes very close to the price of a travel trailer, your paying for the weight savings. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2018, 12:29:19 pm »
That Rockwood was no hybrid.  It's a pop-up.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2018, 02:49:21 pm »
That Rockwood was no hybrid.  It's a pop-up.

Just saying in general...

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=156&Image=5057&ModelID=963#Main

Rockwood Roo are the best hybrids.  With the above floor plan, full slideout, costs a lot of weight. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2018, 03:19:14 pm »
A hybrid WOULD be the best of both worlds.  Can't tow one with my minivan, however, so it's out completely.  Plus, one of the advantages of a hard-sided trailer is its resistance to bears.  When we are in Banff/Kananaskis, we won't be able to keep ANY food whatsoever in the pop-up.  Even in the fridge.  we're going to have to keep it all in coolers in the back of the van.  It'll be a little bit of a pain in the butt.  With a hardsided trailer, you don't have to take those precautions.  A hybrid negates that advantage, much like a Pop-Up.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »
A hybrid WOULD be the best of both worlds.  Can't tow one with my minivan, however, so it's out completely.  Plus, one of the advantages of a hard-sided trailer is its resistance to bears.  When we are in Banff/Kananaskis, we won't be able to keep ANY food whatsoever in the pop-up.  Even in the fridge.  we're going to have to keep it all in coolers in the back of the van.  It'll be a little bit of a pain in the butt.  With a hardsided trailer, you don't have to take those precautions.  A hybrid negates that advantage, much like a Pop-Up.

Yeah we had to use a barrel a hang it high when portaging in algonquin park.  Have to protect the peanut butter and honey!

ltruong

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »

Yeah we had to use a barrel a hang it high when portaging in algonquin park.  Have to protect the peanut butter and honey!

Yeah that also why I'm only looking at specific models/floor layouts

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »
Fyi, that hybrid won't be bear resistant unless you fold up and close the bed end.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
Fyi, that hybrid won't be bear resistant unless you fold up and close the bed end.

no peanut butter in bed!  :(