Author Topic: I got 2 careless driving tickets in Ontario and 1 backing on highway ticket.  (Read 12314 times)

Offline MsEmily

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Toyota Corolla
I was driving and this guy stopped suddenly in front of me (apparently he thought he saw an animal on the road). I slammed on the brakes but unfortunately my foot slipped off the pedal and I rear ended the car at about 25kmph. Significant damage but both cars were drivable. Police got called and they said I was at fault and asked me what happened.

They then asked me if I was driving barefoot and I said no. They said I should have been in control of the pedals and that my footwear looked inappropriate and they'd give me a careless driving fine.

I had mentioned that my foot had slipped because I pushed the pedal at an angle and the heel part of my shoe only made contact and slipped while I normally press the pedals with the front of the show.

They had me demonstrate using the pedals without looking at my feet. I wanted to demonstrate pressing it with the back of the shoe because of what I had said earlier but slipped again. Then I did it normally and succeeded fine.

Can I contest this or have it reduced to following too closely, the other driver admits stopping suddenly and I normally use the front of my shoe to push the pedals. One cop actually took photos of my shoes and perhaps a video of me pushing pedals? I would have still hit the car if my foot didn't slip but slower. My foot slipped because I felt this electric shock kind of feeling and pushed at an awkward angle, not because of my footwear.

I got a second careless driving charge

At a junction, I was looking at traffic to enter a lane, since it wasn't too visible I took the car a bit forward after the line. A police car without lights came speeding (he was really reckless, I'm not making this up) on the lane. I wanted to slam on the brakes but I hit the gas pedal instead and hit the door of the cop car.

I got charged for careless driving for this as well.

I just got my full license and have a clean record before this. Anything I can do? I have rear ended cars 2 times before long ago and scraped a car once and never got a ticket for that. My friends had some accidents with no ticket as well and I've been rear ended once and don't think the guy got a ticket.

For the first accident I was wearing 5 inch heels a bit like these (attached;, they are high but I can drive in them comfortably. I've been in an accident with the same shoe and cops never said anything about it and other accidents in similar shoes without problems. One cop for the first accident seemed very sexist to me and made some remarks.

What arguments should I use for defence? For the first I was thinking of trying to reduce to following to closely and explaining that the car had just overtaken me and stopped (he said he thought he saw an animal but there wasn't one). Also saying that footwear was not an issue.

For the second I'm not sure what to say as it wasn't a rear end collision.

Why do some people get careless driving in small accidents and some don't? (most are reduced to following to closely)

I got a third ticket for backing on highway and this one I don't think I have a chance but still.
suspension. So I'm really scared and I have to try not to get anything more.

I missed an exit on the highway and I stopped just a few meters ahead only. I pulled my car to the side near the barrier and began reversing at the side, not on the highway and did not obstruct traffic. As soon as I backed back on to the highway so I could go to the exit a cop came and stopped me and gave me a ticket.

Anything can be done over this since I wasn't directly on the highway. Traffic was low else I would not have attempted it. Can I claim I didn't back on the highway but from the exit as I couldn't make the turn or something?I know I did a stupid thing though and nearly no one gets backing on highway tickets  :( I know I'm not supposed to do this but I figured I wouldn't get caught as there were few cars and it was dark.

This brings me to 14 points and I had a complete clean record before and I've been driving since 14 in Alberta and in my 20s now. I'm freaking out.

On the ontario dermits gov website it says.

9 to 14 points:
Your licence could be suspended. You may have to attend an interview to discuss your driving record. At this meeting, you will need to provide reasons why your licence should not be suspended.

You will get a letter to notify you of the time, date and location of the meeting. If you do not attend, your licence could be suspended.

15+ points:
Your licence will be suspended for 30 days.

When your licence is suspended, you will get a letter from the Ministry of Transportation. It will tell you the date your suspension takes effect and that you need to surrender your licence.

If you do not surrender your licence, you can lose your licence for up to two years.

I am concerned about the ''You may have to attend an interview to discuss your driving record. At this meeting, you will need to provide reasons why your licence should not be suspended.'' part. How does this work, is it likely I get an interview and can I get suspended?

I really really need my car for uni and work in different places. I can't get suspended and I'm already on a tight budget. I even cried with the officer for the backing on highway ticket but still got it.

If I have an interview what questions will be asked.
I know it sounds like I'm a terrible driver but I'm really not, just did stupid things.
Since I drove since 14 as a learner in Alberta I never had any tickets until this recent burst of tickets.

Thanks,
Emily

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I was driving and this guy stopped suddenly in front of me (apparently he thought he saw an animal on the road). I slammed on the brakes but unfortunately my foot slipped off the pedal and I rear ended the car at about 25kmph. Significant damage but both cars were drivable. Police got called and they said I was at fault and asked me what happened.

They then asked me if I was driving barefoot and I said no. They said I should have been in control of the pedals and that my footwear looked inappropriate and they'd give me a careless driving fine.

I had mentioned that my foot had slipped because I pushed the pedal at an angle and the heel part of my shoe only made contact and slipped while I normally press the pedals with the front of the show.

They had me demonstrate using the pedals without looking at my feet. I wanted to demonstrate pressing it with the back of the shoe because of what I had said earlier but slipped again. Then I did it normally and succeeded fine.

Can I contest this or have it reduced to following too closely, the other driver admits stopping suddenly and I normally use the front of my shoe to push the pedals. One cop actually took photos of my shoes and perhaps a video of me pushing pedals? I would have still hit the car if my foot didn't slip but slower. My foot slipped because I felt this electric shock kind of feeling and pushed at an awkward angle, not because of my footwear.

At a junction, I was looking at traffic to enter a lane, since it wasn't too visible I took the car a bit forward after the line. A police car without lights came speeding (he was really reckless, I'm not making this up) on the lane. I wanted to slam on the brakes but I hit the gas pedal instead and hit the door of the cop car.

For the first accident I was wearing 5 inch heels a bit like these (attached;, they are high but I can drive in them comfortably. I've been in an accident with the same shoe and cops never said anything about it and other accidents in similar shoes without problems. One cop for the first accident seemed very sexist to me and made some remarks.

So what shoes were you wearing for your second accident when you hit the wrong pedal and the cop car?

I think it's time to pay Pointts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_kY64gSn4   ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline MsEmily

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

So what shoes were you wearing for your second accident when you hit the wrong pedal and the cop car?

I think it's time to pay Pointts.

Same shoes I think but I don't remember, it could have happened with any shoe. I'm used to driving in heels as long as they aren't too high.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Let me get this straight. You've had the two "at fault" collisions you've described that both resulted in tickets..... plus you've rearended two other cars before that......plus "scraped" a car ???.....plus missed a highway exit and instead of getting off at the next exit decided to backup on the shoulder? ::)

I'm not trying to be unkind but maybe it IS time for a little chat with the DMV (and perhaps a refresher course in driver's ed)?.....................and maybe consider some different style shoes for driving?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:45:22 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline MsEmily

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Let me get this straight. You've had the two "at fault" collisions you've described that both resulted in tickets..... plus you've rearended two other cars before that......plus "scraped" a car ???.....plus missed a highway exit and instead of getting off at the next exit decided to backup on the shoulder? ::)

Maybe it IS time for a little chat with the DMV (and perhaps a refresher course in driver's ed)?

I wasn't at fault in all those accidents. No tickets before these ever. I'm not a bad driver even though it sounds like it. Did stupid thi gs recently but I'm determined to be more careful. I know how ti drive just took shortcuts. I've learnt my lesson

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

Maybe it IS time for a little chat with the DMV (and perhaps a refresher course in driver's ed)?

I wasn't at fault in all those accidents. No tickets before these ever. I'm not a bad driver even though it sounds like it. Did stupid thi gs recently but I'm determined to be more careful. I know how ti drive just took shortcuts. I've learnt my lesson

Well, that's the line I'd take if you have to go in for an interview.  BTW...just because you didn't get a ticket for those other collisions doesn't mean you were not at fault. If you hit someone from behind you are at fault. I'm a little surprised you can still get insurance.

I don't know anything about this "Pointts" operation but if you could get one ticket thrown out or reduced it might be worth it.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
I got 2 careless driving tickets in Ontario and 1 backing on highway ticket.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:21:54 am »

You were at fault for rear ending people and hitting the gas instead of the brake.

I think you need more or better training.

And stop trying to blame other people.  They are your feet, you need to control them.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
What he said.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker

Why would you wear shoes that you can't safely brake with? Driving is serious business and should be treated with respect. How would you plead in front of a judge if you tried to brake, had your foot slip off AGAIN but this time ran over somebody's child?

Offline MsEmily

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

You were at fault for rear ending people and hitting the gas instead of the brake.

I think you need more or better training.

And stop trying to blame other people.  They are your feet, you need to control them.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
Even if they are reversing?

Why would you wear shoes that you can't safely brake with? Driving is serious business and should be treated with respect. How would you plead in front of a judge if you tried to brake, had your foot slip off AGAIN but this time ran over somebody's child?
I do wear shoes that I can brake in safely, I had other factors that caused the slip (long story) I've solved it now,

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
If you are at 14 points already you will be called for an interview. I've been through two interviews since I started driving in 1975 and in both cases for speeding, no other driving infractions, accidents or even parking tickets.  The interviewer pointed that out and said that he was not going to send me back for training as it appeared I knew the rules of the road...other than the speeding issue. In your case however your rules of the road knowledge is suspect and I would expect that the interviewer will place emphasis on this and send you for driver training.
Your insurance company will move you to facility insurance at the least and this will mean driving will become cost prohibitive for you.
In both cases for me I never approached 14 points, more like 11 points.
Maybe you could start retraining now to show that you are being proactive about things.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline MsEmily

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
If you are at 14 points already you will be called for an interview. I've been through two interviews since I started driving in 1975 and in both cases for speeding, no other driving infractions, accidents or even parking tickets.  The interviewer pointed that out and said that he was not going to send me back for training as it appeared I knew the rules of the road...other than the speeding issue. In your case however your rules of the road knowledge is suspect and I would expect that the interviewer will place emphasis on this and send you for driver training.
Your insurance company will move you to facility insurance at the least and this will mean driving will become cost prohibitive for you.
Maybe you could start retraining now to show that you are being proactive about things.
Railton
Ok thanks, At interview what will I be asked? If I say that I've been driving since 14 with no points until the last few weeks and show my driving history and explain that I learned my mistakes will I get a pass?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Railton
Ok thanks, At interview what will I be asked? If I say that I've been driving since 14 with no points until the last few weeks and show my driving history and explain that I learned my mistakes will I get a pass?
The interviewer will ask why you think they should allow you to keep driving? If they don't like your answer they will pull your licence and you will need to start over...once they allow you to start over.
How many years have you been driving licenced, not with a learners permit?
Might I ask, what do you pay for insurance now prior to the interview?
Railton

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
..after the Interview...Bridge will caucus with you re   SHOES... :o 8) :-X ..
 I am as still as an etto
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline MsEmily

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Railton
The interviewer will ask why you think they should allow you to keep driving? If they don't like your answer they will pull your licence and you will need to start over...once they allow you to start over.
How many years have you been driving licenced, not with a learners permit?
Might I ask, what do you pay for insurance now prior to the interview?
Railton

In only have 1 claim prior to this and it raised rates by 100%. More than 5 years.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I do wear shoes that I can brake in safely, I had other factors that caused the slip (long story) I've solved it now,

To me it sounds like you keep making up excuses and now your story has already changed. But I have lots of free time today, please feel free to elaborate on the bold text.

Offline Skippy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • Just me
    • View Profile
Sounds like we're about the same age girl. Quit making excuses. By all means take advantage of those get out of jail free ex-cop ticket fixing places but even if you do get off remember that it was your fault and fix your attitude before you cause more carnage.

-Lise

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Even if they are reversing?

You never mentioned anyone reversing in either of these two cases.

I was driving and this guy stopped suddenly in front of me (apparently he thought he saw an animal on the road). I slammed on the brakes but unfortunately my foot slipped off the pedal and I rear ended the car at about 25kmph.
And

I think you need to stop blaming everyone else, and take some proper driving lessons.

My 15 year old daughter could drive better than this.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
When life gives you lemons.....
One way or another your driving habits will cost you a fortune. However your are cute and your shoes look awesome (3 people already clicked on the picture)  :D
If I were you I'd already be calling that "Canada's worst driver" show. Refer them to your forum posts. Seriously. You can thank me later  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
When life gives you lemons.....
One way or another your driving habits will cost you a fortune. However your are cute and your shoes look awesome (3 people already clicked on the picture)  :D
If I were you I'd already be calling that "Canada's worst driver" show. Refer them to your forum posts. Seriously. You can thank me later  :)

And how do you know this?  :P