Author Topic: Kia Forte, Mazda 3 or Ford Focus?  (Read 9695 times)

Offline morinr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Montana :(
Kia Forte, Mazda 3 or Ford Focus?
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:03:05 pm »
Hey guys,

I was looking at purchasing a new car in the new year. Hopefully around Dec/Jan.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Kia Forte and Ford Focus as well as Mazda 3 GS with Convenience package. I am still open to recommendations... but I think these two are the ones in the top running.

I have been looking at the EX model Forte, and Titanium Focus. I am looking for a somewhat compact car with decent power. I am looking for a Automatic that is somewhat fun to drive with some nice features. I decided I need to "spoil" myself with a decent new car. I really like the LCD infotainment systems, blue tooth, heated seats and a nice ride.

I was wondering if anybody knows of the major ins and outs of each?

Both are dependable and seem to have positive reviews. I have read a ton of reviews and seems to be somewhat equal.

Thanks,

Regan
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:22:53 pm by morinr »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Kia Forte or Ford Focus?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:44:02 pm »
The Forte is getting great reviews on Edmunds under their long term test drive. Its slightly less sporty but it may come down to this. Test drive them and see if the ford DCT transmission bugs you. Its the weak spot of the car. Me I'd go look at thew 2014 Mazda 3 also. I like the Focus a lot outside the DCT and the deals on any leftover 2013s should be pretty attractive.

Offline morinr

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:54:21 pm »
Thanks for the info, so both are similar? What is what I figured, if one was better than other I would buy it. But if similar I will go based upon feel and cost. I get a discount at Ford through work so will have to see about costs.

I enjoy the sporty but currently I am driving a 2003 Montana... so either one will be more sporty haha.

In regards to the mazda 3 for me is the mazda worth the extra 1200 bucks for better fuel economy and look. While giving up heated seats and some other nice features... I really do not know. I think I am leaning towards the Kia more than the Mazda. I heard some not great review of the 60k km above on the auto trans for the Mazda as well. I did some research and reading on the Mazda 3 but it doesn't have some of the features I would like. Many of those features are not needed.... but I would like on the car. Ideally I want the KIA that looks like the Mazda.

Thanks for info, if anybody else has ideas, opinions or personal experience I would love to know.

Thanks

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:20:49 pm »
If you want sporty, why not go all the way and get the Focus ST?  Goes like a scalded cat, handles very well and looks better than anything in the class IMO!  Can't see it being that much more $ than the Titanium.  Not sure if you are a Costco member, but if so, you may want to investigate whether you can combine your work discount with the Costco rebate.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:24:02 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »
How are you comparing a Mazda 3 with no heated seats with a Forte EX and Focus Titanium? It's in the $500 Convenience Package for the midlevel GS. I have to add that I am a bit disappointed with Mazda's trim packages for 2014. Heated seats, heated mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and auto lights were standard on the GS. And you could get leather in the GS like my 2012.

Titanium is about $25k, about the same price as a Mazda 3 GT. The OP wants automatic so ST is out of the picture.

Offline morinr

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:59:25 pm »
How are you comparing a Mazda 3 with no heated seats with a Forte EX and Focus Titanium? It's in the $500 Convenience Package for the midlevel GS. I have to add that I am a bit disappointed with Mazda's trim packages for 2014. Heated seats, heated mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and auto lights were standard on the GS. And you could get leather in the GS like my 2012.

Titanium is about $25k, about the same price as a Mazda 3 GT. The OP wants automatic so ST is out of the picture.

Thank you some of the sites I were looking at didn't have the package. I actually went to the Mazda site and figured it out and where the convenience package was. I have used the Kia compare and Ford compare... but they both make their cars look better. Lot of the information on them are incorrect, which is why I eliminated the Mazda 3.... but I guess that was a mistake it is back in the running. Do you know of any sites that compare cars on more equal ground? Many of the ones I have seen are very wishy washy.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Kia Forte, Mazda 3 or Ford Focus?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »
Which cars have you test driven to date?

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:03:50 am »
As toolatecrew said, the Edmunds site is fairly good at showing even handed comparos.  Here is their side-by-side comparison of the three vehicles you've chosen, or close enough:

Link is here

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:07:24 am by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:52:05 am »
These cars all directly compete - so the compare tools are somewhat silly.  Still, Mazda's compare tool is by far the best one out there, and doesn't beef up anything...just lists EVERYTHING for each car.  It's here:
http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/compareVehicles.action

For the record, my brother has a 2007 Mazda 3 GS, my MIL leases, so she's had 2006, 2009, Mazda 3 GT, and and 2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky.  I have a 2010 Corolla.  My good friend has a 2012 Civic.  My other good friend has a 2013 Focus SE sports package.

First question:  Buying or Leasing?  This should be at the forefront of your decision.  You're not looking at base models here, so resale value should matter, as should long-term dependability.  Ford has made strides in quality recently, but they're still not really up there.  I would highly recommend an ECP, for as long as you can go.  In opting for it, they tend to reduce the price on rustproofing, too.  It may be a wise investment, but it is like insurance - you pay for it hoping to never need to use it, but you'd be happy you have it there.

None of these cars are amazing sports cars.  I, personally, love the drive of the Focus...way more than the Mazda.  I find the Skyactiv treatments have made the Mazda 3 slightly more numb, but I haven't tried the 2014.

The Civic is an amazing car, I'm not quite sure why you haven't considered it - but you should.  Great value, not a bad driver either.

As much as I'd like to see the Corolla in this, I wouldn't include it either.  It's a boring drive, now with CVT, and I'm concerned that since it's been built in Cambridge, it's not the same reliability that we had expected.  My tranny now fails to engage 4th gear until the car is warm, for example.  Thankfully, I have a 7 year ECP and it's all covered.  See my point?

The Forte redesign did some nice things.  In fact, Kia has made strides with their reliability, too.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these cars.  They'll all be within a very similar true price to own range.  The truth is you have to spend one day and test drive them all back-to-back, and let the dealers know that you're prepared to buy (i.e. follow up with their stupid giving in of your driver's license and credit card).  Until you sign paper work, you have no agreed to anything, so once you get their final price offer, you say "I need time to think about it, I'll be back" and walk out.  Before you do, ask for their offer in writing.  Offers remain valid until they provide you notice of it otherwise...so if you come back in and say "I accept," they have to honor that original price.  The caveat is if they say "sorry, walk out and this offer expires" then you may not get it again...but they'd be stupid not to honour it if you're there willing to buy the car. 

Here's my cons to each car so you know what to look for (and whether they bother you):

Civic - I'm not a fan of the dashboard, and it's not the sportiest of drivers.

Mazda 3 - I HATE the driver's seat cushion. It's flat, and the bolsters make it more difficult to enter/exit the car.  If you're not arthritic like me, that may not bother you, but those seats really kill my butt.  I also find the interior to be laced with plastic.  My brother's 2007 does not have any issues, but before his ECP expired, he took it to the dealer and they reconditioned the car to be like-new (except for paint).  I.e. they replaced the sunroof, power steering, transmission parts, etc.  Not that any of those NEEDED to be replaced, but they were as a goodwill gesture to ensure longevity.

Focus - I am wearing about durability of interior pieces...and the DCT (transmission jumpiness).  The infotainment buttons are very, very non-intuitive, so make sure that doesn't bother you.  The upgraded MyFord Touch isn't any better.

Forte - I really like the 2.0L engine, but it does use more gas than I would like.  The car is big, relatively speaking, and probably won't return the best fuel economy of the bunch.  The steering is also very, very numb (but I drive a Corolla, so I can't complain too much - but you specifically mentioned that you want the car to be sporty).

I'm assuming you want a sedan, not the hatchback...since the Forte, at the moment, only comes in a sedan.

If it were me, I'd actually probably get either the Civic or the Focus - but look at the Focus SE with some options - save a few grand (or put it towards ECP) and it will have everything you need.  The way I packaged it, it's $21,577 (with PDI/Freight, but excluding tax).  The Titanium trim doesn't add a heck of a lot, and comes out to $26,078 for the base (no other options selected).

The Civic is always a solid choice, the Ford has become quite the contender (and I historically hated Ford), and Kia is becoming a great contender.  As much as everyone here loves the Mazda, it's sporty, but still feels cheap to me and I hate the seats.  STILL, if you're after sporty/peppy as a primary concern, then the Mazda 3 GT is the way to go with the 2.5L skyactiv engine.

It's not hard to test-drive 4 cars in one day...just do it and decide for yourself.  Back-to-back.

...and don't let dealers up-sell you on things you don't need.  The titanium trim really doesn't add that much for the price - Ford's option packaging is very, very good.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
Yea, best to test drive all three and see for yourself. Take your favourite one on an extended test drive on your own, drive it for a few hours and make sure the seats are good for you. Load it up with typical cargo. Observe the average fuel economy in the trip computer (reset it before you start your drive).

I voted Mazda 3, but I may be biased. :) I liked the Focus too, but it was too small and so my wife disapproved. I test drove the Elantra's sibling Forte, it was ok. Spacious rear seat, but the drive was Corolla like.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »
You never stated what kind of money you're looking to spend either cash or financing  ???, which is rather germane when shopping this segment.

Personally I would never give up heated seats.  Just make sure you test drive each heated seat as heated seats are not created equal.

I would be expanding your search to 2013 Civic LX and 2014 Corolla LE (upgrade package).  Both 1.9%/60

Offline morinr

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:35:08 pm »
Thanks for the great info.

I am curretly going to be spending 7,000 down, and financing the rest over 36 or 48 months. I am looking to buy the car and use it for hopefully 7 years. So dependability does matter to me. I have looked at the carolla and am not a fan of the drive or much else. It is a nice car don't get me wrong but not what I am looking for.

In regards to sporty, I want something a bit sporty, more than my Montana and 2003 echo that I occasionally drive. So looking at 150 or so hp and a nice ride.

I am going to have to set a day out in a few weeks to go drive some cars. Still have a month to decide upon what I want.

Anybody have any information for long term reliability of 2014 mazda 3, Forte, Focus? The Forte has a longer warrenty, however it is more of a fuel hog than the rest.

In regards to the Civic... I really do not like the look of that car. Which shouldn't matter... but there are a variety of great options so that is why i eliminated this from my selection.

Thanks,

Great information guys :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:53:41 am by morinr »

Offline morinr

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 04:01:34 pm »
Any information for the 2014 focus coming to Canada? I searched the forum and the googles. Couldn't find too much... Any ideas?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »
You can get 2014 Fiestas, I'm surprised 2014 Focus isn't out yet.

BTW, the Focus is on the small end of Compact cars, it's barely bigger than the Fiesta. Food for thought. I'd personally go for a fully loaded Fiesta.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 05:53:16 pm »
I am curretly going to be spending 7,000 down, and financing the rest over 36 or 48 months. I am looking to buy the car and use it for hopefully 7 years. So dependability does matter to me. I have looked at the carolla and am not a fan of the drive or much else. It is a nice car don't get me wrong but not what I am looking for.

Economically speaking, I HIGHLY recommend, based on the information you provided above, that you lease the vehicle and not buy it.  Purchasing a vehicle (cash or finance) only makes sense if you keep the vehicle typically longer than 7 years...You really don't start seeing any savings until about the 7th year...so why get rid of it then?!  Plus the expensive maintenance schedules are every 2 years, so you'd pick up more of those tabs, too.

If the lease rates are below 3%, there's usually more wiggle room there, and then you don't have to worry about selling it.

At 7 years, you won't have any major problems with any of these cars...and warranties only cover certain things - so if your door handle falls off, that long warranty Kia offers won't cover it (not saying this is a common complaint or liable to happen, but the point is that a warranty does not represent a better car - ECPs are better than standard warranties).

...and then in 3 years' time, you get another new car :)

...and $0 down!  Do the math, it doesn't pay for you to put $7k down on a car unless you're paying 8% interest.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 06:14:38 pm »
Leasing a car over 7 years vs. owning a car for 7 years?

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 06:28:07 pm »
morinr

I have a 2013 focus with a manual transmission (se with sport package). It has been a hoot so far. The space is tight(especially in the back seat) but once you get use to the car it does not seem to be an issue. The controls are actually pretty good. Great all round car. But if I was in the market for an auto I would look closer at the Kia and the mazda. I still do not feel the DCT in the focus is reliable enough to recommend it myself.

Offline morinr

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:51 pm »
Leasing a car over 7 years vs. owning a car for 7 years?

Owning. the car. Not 100% how long, just 7 yrs or till it dies. Hopefully lasts for 7-10 yrs.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 06:32:32 am »
If you want sporty, why not go all the way and get the Focus ST?  Goes like a scalded cat, handles very well and looks better than anything in the class IMO!  Can't see it being that much more $ than the Titanium.  Not sure if you are a Costco member, but if so, you may want to investigate whether you can combine your work discount with the Costco rebate.   

Costco rebate does not apply to Focus.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 06:40:05 am »

Costco rebate does not apply to Focus.

Interesting!  I guess i'm not surprised though!  Probably same with fiesta.