Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD  (Read 14346 times)

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
I see no manumatic gate for the shifter (except for an S mode) nor any paddles on the steering wheel.  If not, Ford skimped on these features and shouldn't be given a pass on this most expensive and sportiest Fusion.   I know they are seldom used and gimmicky but this is a halo sedan for the brand aiming to be the best midsize car around.

I don't know if, like me, you noticed that the current gen Fusions doesn't seem to be selling all that well in QC. The previous car was a hit, especially after the 2010 updates. I only drove a pretty basic SE with the 1.6 EB, wasn't impressed, and the trunk lid was misaligned.

I agree.  Don't see a lot of them here but saw plenty in the US these past 2 weeks on my trip to Florida.  OTOH, I never saw so many privately owned Impalas and Crown-Vics...  When you catch a glimpse of one of those overhere, it's the constabulary!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:52:25 pm by Minou »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:41 pm »
Not a big stretch to an AWD Q50.  Just crazy, man.  You don't take a Fusion over that unless you have a blue oval stamped on your forehead.

Equipped the same, the AWD Q50 is $49k. If you don't bother with the Tech and Navigation packages, you're at $43k.

The Q has a pretty competitive price. But as sailor said, it's the same old dilemma, get a more basic premium car, or a loaded up mainstream model.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 06:18:10 pm »
Not a big stretch to an AWD Q50.  Just crazy, man.  You don't take a Fusion over that unless you have a blue oval stamped on your forehead.

Equipped the same, the AWD Q50 is $49k. If you don't bother with the Tech and Navigation packages, you're at $43k.

The Q has a pretty competitive price. But as sailor said, it's the same old dilemma, get a more basic premium car, or a loaded up mainstream model.

So which 43k AWD sedan would you choose - the 43k Infiniti sans tech and nav, or the nearly-43K loaded Ford?  People shop budgets more than trim levels, and if you have 43k to spend on an AWD sedan, those are both on the table, right?  So do you plunk down your dough on a Fusion?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »
For that price point I'd be shopping for something else like the Mazda 6 , Accord or Outback.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 07:46:46 pm »

So which 43k AWD sedan would you choose - the 43k Infiniti sans tech and nav, or the nearly-43K loaded Ford?  People shop budgets more than trim levels, and if you have 43k to spend on an AWD sedan, those are both on the table, right?  So do you plunk down your dough on a Fusion?

Personally, I'm not sure. The Q is pretty compelling, as are a few others at that price like the CLA. I was well pleased with the Fusion when I tried one, but I haven't looked at the Q very closely.

Ford was saying that Titaniums make up about 30% of sales, so some people swing for it.

Back in Fredericton, it would have been the Fusion, simply because the closest Infiniti dealer was in Halifax.

One of my neighbours traded in his G35 for a Taurus SEL, which surprised me, but people have a way of doing that.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk 4

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 08:12:15 pm »
TL SH-AWD base starts at 43 and the Tech @ 47....with the cash on the hood these days you can probably get another 5 or 10 more off the hood....

But then the squeaks and rattles would drive you into a frenzy of tearing your car apart.   ;)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 08:39:54 pm »
Way too much money IMO!  We paid a little over 31K i believe for our fully loaded 2010 AWD after incentives.  I like the looks though, but only without that HOAKY spoiler!  Interesting that they still haven't seemed to fix the console button and front passenger intimacy issues yet.  I guess that is my only complaint with ours as the seats are a little small (and we don't have fat arses either..in fact just the opposite.. :) ) and the console is whack job!  Overall we really like our car, but probably won't buy another as we need the practicality of a wagon, or cuv/suv type in the future. Still on the fence regarding the eco-boost as well.  We are getting 9.9L/100Km now, so what is the advantage of all that complexity and apparently worse, or at least no better efficiency?  Takes more than style and funky tech to get my chi on!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:44:56 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 08:41:22 am »

I'd pick a Fusion on looks alone. And although the interior of the Q50 is far nicer, I'll admit, I'm more than fine with the fusion interior. Then again, at that price, I could afford my Golf R...

and you can't compare this list price against other competitors discounts - I'm sure Ford has room to play to move these high-spec trims off the lot. I also questioned the value of this trim, but many of the mainstream family sedans creep into the high 30s without AWD, and without this combination of high tech goodies, so it's not too far fetched.

and also, I think Ford must be pretty pleased with themselves right now that we're all choosing between the Fusion and Q50 instead of Fusion and Camry... that being said, Accord and Mazda6 are still my favourites in this segment.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:27 am »

I'd pick a Fusion on looks alone. And although the interior of the Q50 is far nicer, I'll admit, I'm more than fine with the fusion interior. Then again, at that price, I could afford my Golf R...

and you can't compare this list price against other competitors discounts - I'm sure Ford has room to play to move these high-spec trims off the lot. I also questioned the value of this trim, but many of the mainstream family sedans creep into the high 30s without AWD, and without this combination of high tech goodies, so it's not too far fetched.

and also, I think Ford must be pretty pleased with themselves right now that we're all choosing between the Fusion and Q50 instead of Fusion and Camry... that being said, Accord and Mazda6 are still my favourites in this segment.

Well looks are subjective or course, but it's not just the interior of the Q50 that's nicer.  It is much more powerful and no doubt handles better as well.  But if looks are the primary purchase criterion, then yes, buy what you think looks good.

And the reason we're not comparing this Fusion to Camry and Accord is that they don't cost $43k.  At least in my case, it is certainly NOT because I perceive the Fusion to be a credible competitor for the Infiniti.  Indeed, my point was quite the contrary.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:20 pm »

Well looks are subjective or course, but it's not just the interior of the Q50 that's nicer.  It is much more powerful and no doubt handles better as well.  But if looks are the primary purchase criterion, then yes, buy what you think looks good.

And the reason we're not comparing this Fusion to Camry and Accord is that they don't cost $43k.  At least in my case, it is certainly NOT because I perceive the Fusion to be a credible competitor for the Infiniti.  Indeed, my point was quite the contrary.

+1. The comparison was drawn based on price, and this Fusion is really pushing its luck venturing into the luxo brand territory. C-class and 3-series can be had for that money with AWD, albeight in their lower trims. But then again, if you're buying a car that doesn't matter, if you're buying an iPad on wheels, sure go for the gadgets bolted to an inferior (relatively speaking of course) frame.
There are no bad cars on the market today, just bad prices. Fusion is a good car but the Titanium needs a wad of cash on the hood.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
I gather most people do not know the prices of fully load cars today. At $43,000.00, not much you can buy with this type of equipment. I drove one and really liked it,  Yes I can get a BMW, Audi and MB for less, but not with the same equipment.

Sure it all depends on whats important to the buyer, if you want to spend $6000 on options, and like all the driving aids, including the AWD than the Fusion has you covered.  But if you don't like the nannies, or AWD and want to save $600, you can get the SE.  Or if you want to spend $43k you can get a base TL, that comes very nicely equipped.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »

+1. The comparison was drawn based on price, and this Fusion is really pushing its luck venturing into the luxo brand territory. C-class and 3-series can be had for that money with AWD, albeight in their lower trims. But then again, if you're buying a car that doesn't matter, if you're buying an iPad on wheels, sure go for the gadgets bolted to an inferior (relatively speaking of course) frame.
There are no bad cars on the market today, just bad prices. Fusion is a good car but the Titanium needs a wad of cash on the hood.

A third of Fusions are selling as Titaniums. I think they only have $750 on the hood right now.
Sales are up and transaction prices are running $2300 higher on average than the Camry.

I think they have it figured out pretty well.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »

Yep.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 09:29:43 pm »

and also, I think Ford must be pretty pleased with themselves right now that we're all choosing between the Fusion and Q50 instead of Fusion and Camry... that being said Accord and Mazda6 are still my favourites in this segment. .

:iagree:

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »
this is retail price. So unless you are really bad at negociating or you are completly dumb. You won't pay that much. There's a new 1.5 ecoboost coming this year for this car anyway and it should get better fuel economy. The interior is very nice. I hate biased people. That's why everyones drives a corolla or a civic because they don't know what they are talking about and they follow the mass. no individuality, just boring.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:34:57 pm by alexdc »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 06:32:43 am »
$40-45K market is crowded and there are lots of great choices.  Personally, I'd make a slight stretch price wise and go for a "base" IS350AWD.  I really like the car, resale is amazing, quality is superb, etc...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 08:00:59 am »
My brother in law rented one on a recent trip to Vegas.  I noticed a few things right away:

1. Huge A-pillars that are hard to see around.  Maybe this is a trend for safety standards (I drive a 2002MY car).
2.  Interior feels very cramped because of that centre console.
3. The trunk that appears to be large isn't as usable because of it's weird shape.

I think I too would look at an Accord or Mazda6 in this segment.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:22 am »
Don't tell me about the value and the size of this thing. Ford screw up both Taurus and Fusion and the both cars now are not mainstream, at least here up in Canada...They are too big and expensive for the ordinary families. The most sold Ford cars now are the other, smaller duo Focus and Fiesta. That's it.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »
Don't tell me about the value and the size of this thing. Ford screw up both Taurus and Fusion and the both cars now are not mainstream, at least here up in Canada...They are too big and expensive for the ordinary families. The most sold Ford cars now are the other, smaller duo Focus and Fiesta. That's it.

Not really sure what you mean?  Yes the Fusion can add up once you select the more expensive trims, but the Fusion is selling more now then it did before.  It has already beaten the YTD in Canada for 2012, and we still have 2 months to go....  Size wise it really hasn't changed from the previous generation...