Author Topic: TestFest Report: 2014 AJAC CUOTY SUVS, Crossovers and Pickups  (Read 7313 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: TestFest Report: 2014 AJAC CUOTY SUVS, Crossovers and Pickups
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 08:23:40 pm »
though the subaru might be the best buy in the first category, i'd think the cherokee for it's available features could get a win there.

The pricey guys... (surprised jeep didn't try to eek into this category with a 3.0L diesel summit)... you seem to love the x5... but me... i have never liked it. not sure i can place why. in any event, i'd pick the range rover.

though you seem to favour the ram in the truck category, i don't think it should be there. isn't is just new vehicles (or major refreshes)? the only thing new for the 14 ram is the diesel, so unless that is what they give you to test, i think they shouldn't count it. so sierra for me.

Personally, the Cherokee's looks and the fact the nine-speed transmission straight up didn't work is what shot it down for me. Subaru gets the square.

As for the X5, holy hell it's fast. And, the HD screen is truly a piece of technological art. Did I mention it's fast? Though, I think I am with you, I'd rather the Range Rover. The "prick meter" for the X5 is pretty high (though, that didn't worked into my scoring).

Sierra > Ram for me too. For the Sierra, it's all about the ergonomics, seriously low NVH, and the Sierra's drivetrain is butter smooth compared to the Ram.

The Ram is smooth, so holy jumpin the Sierra must crazy smooth!!!!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 09:18:58 am »
Glad I'm not the only one who found the 2014 Chev Silverado to ride quite stiff and harsh.  I test drove both a 2013 Tundra and 2013 F150 and they both rode way smoother.  In some cases over rough pavement, the Silverado became quite unstable where as the Tundra and F150 were much smoother.  Still, a solid improvement over Silverados of the past.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 10:39:19 am »
Ive found with most trucks a switch to Bilstein shocks takes care of most ride issues.....this is especially true for GM., much like their OEM tires, brake pads and headlight bulbs the shocks seem to be very, very substandard.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 10:43:59 am »
Ive found with most trucks a switch to Bilstein shocks takes care of most ride issues.....this is especially true for GM., much like their OEM tires, brake pads and headlight bulbs the shocks seem to be very, very substandard.

Fobroader coached me through this very thing. A v-good upgrade for just over $200. I've had the before-and-after experience and the very real GMC problem is diminished to a non-issue.