Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Tsurugi Edition  (Read 15622 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Tsurugi Edition
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:13:01 am »

Subaru strips the STI's wild-child looks to give it a more mature profile, but they're not fooling anyone ' this is still the best hardcore performance value on the market.

Read More...

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Tsurugi Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
it is sad to see a car rot like this among others more capable cars in the market today... I had a 2008 and this 2014 edition is exactly the same minus some suspension changes that come out last year and rims...

back in 2008 it was a performance bargain and it was the top among its peers...it was a beast! as long as you can put up with the horrid gas mileage....now along with the EVO, they both are the bottom of the buyer's list....even the new hyundai accent has better interior and its price is down right non-competitive

sad to see subaru completely ignores this little beast

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:25:17 am »
What other car on the market now offers similar performance and practicality for that price (aside form its evil shadow twin Evo)?

then again, perhaps that's a sign of demand... just not that many people in this market - most of them are jumping over to 320i xDrives and A4 quattros...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:32:08 am »
What other car on the market now offers similar performance and practicality for that price (aside form its evil shadow twin Evo)?

then again, perhaps that's a sign of demand... just not that many people in this market - most of them are jumping over to 320i xDrives and A4 quattros...

Yeah, but going from a STi/Evo to an A4 or 320i is like saying Im sick of this tequila, I think I will have some of this grape drink. I dont know of anyone I know whos has a WRX/STi/Evo who would be looking at some weaksauce Euro status mobile.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:40:03 am »

Yeah, but going from a STi/Evo to an A4 or 320i is like saying Im sick of this tequila, I think I will have some of this grape drink. I dont know of anyone I know whos has a WRX/STi/Evo who would be looking at some weaksauce Euro status mobile.

so it's like going from tequila to wine... sounds about right.

No, people don't cross-shop it, but people do grow up (well, some people, not me and you, buddy!), and the market that has the money to buy 40K cars is now looking for some luxury and refinement to go along with their performance - we have a few here that have moved on from their WRXs/STI into MDXs (Vmango, right?) and other assorted luxury cars, no?

bad enough we have to listen to kids whining all day long, we don't want a car that is going to drone and whine all day long.

the new platform can't come soon enough. my ultimate wish is the ride and steering feel of the BRZ with a small bump in power (320-330 - leave the WRX at 275 max) and further electronic AWD wizardry. however it might just get softer, heavier and more powerful to overcompensate like everything else in the world.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:01 am »
The lack of refinement was the cause of my divorce with the WRX/STi after 10 years. I would of happily paid $50k for an STi with some upscale features and an interior. Going down scale never is a good strategy in the end IMO.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:52:32 am »
The lack of refinement was the cause of my divorce with the WRX/STi after 10 years. I would of happily paid $50k for an STi with some upscale features and an interior. Going down scale never is a good strategy in the end IMO.

Thats always been the STi, and Evos, chink in the armor, the interior has always been low rent with some awesome seats. The Legacy Spec B should have been the one car to take care of that problem, but that never caught on.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:54:06 am »
so it's like going from tequila to wine... sounds about right.

No, people don't cross-shop it, but people do grow up (well, some people, not me and you, buddy!), and the market that has the money to buy 40K cars is now looking for some luxury and refinement to go along with their performance - we have a few here that have moved on from their WRXs/STI into MDXs (Vmango, right?) and other assorted luxury cars, no?

This.
Back when I was in my 20's/ early 30's this car would hugely appeal to me.  Now, well into my 40's... not so much.  Most people's tastes/preferences change over time.
Fun for a while, then i'd quickly want rid of it
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:00:27 am by Weels »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:54:31 am »

The new restyled WRX STI is just around the corner. Spoke to a local Subaru sales guy this past weekend who informed me that the new STI will be showing early next year at car shows.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:57:46 am »
Maybe Subaru just goes "all in" with the comp theme.  Drop the WRX and STi and sell one model, either name will do.  Give us a rip snorting 350+ hp and add lightness.  An F40 style interior with Recaros.  Manual AC with mechanical controls.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 11:04:44 am »

I got this far and thought…I've never heard that reason before.  :rofl2:

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:13:46 am »
:drool:

A more subtle looking STI is perfect in my books.  Although those front seats have pretty flat bottoms, I guess to fit all the fat butts with the money to buy one.  I've never seen them use seats better than those in the '02.

I say a little lack of refinement adds a little excitement to life... Too much is vanilla these days!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:08 am »
Maybe Subaru just goes "all in" with the comp theme.  Drop the WRX and STi and sell one model, either name will do.  Give us a rip snorting 350+ hp and add lightness.  An F40 style interior with Recaros.  Manual AC with mechanical controls.

I'd like to see them keep the WRX, but move the power up to ~300hp and at least do something a LITTLE nicer with the interior.  Doesn't have to be a Golf R, but at least something livable.

Make the STI the light-weight, "rally car for the streets" factory modded offering with 350 hp for the true subaru diehards.

I would certainly choose a Golf R over the current Subaru offerings if buying in this market again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:24 am »
Agree with Evil and Jon. Bring the hardcore versions with the crazy seats here. They will fly off the shelves!

Make the "limited" version properly nice. Bring it up to the level of the nice legacy limited interior. Doesn't have to be world class but satisfactorily nice with a decent stereo.

Can Subaru do a proper luxo interior?? Ive been in lots of Subies and while I find the interiors perfectly acceptable most of the media and a lot of member on here say different, has there ever been one thats been at least competitive in its class??

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 11:58:14 am »
40K-50K is a competitive market now. The days of picking up a cheap WRX to blow away M3s are over. Them handling on the last cars was weak-sauce out of the box.

I think you're underrating the STI's handling. sure it's no M3, but it handles extremely well... as a road car. I was kicking myself for not getting out to a track day, but it just didn't work out. but still, from what I felt on the road, it seems like you can manage all that power effectively on a track, and light modding - like Mike's big anti-roll bar in the back - should turn the handling balance into something very capable for the track.

aside from the Evo, which has a slight edge (with a trade-off of even more intolerable cabin noise and harder ride), what car is faster (track or not), cheaper and better suited to a snowy Canadian winter?

Personally, I'd sign up for Golf R (interior, refinement, feel, transmission), but that understeers even more obviously, even at public-road speeds...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:08 pm »
Agree with Evil and Jon. Bring the hardcore versions with the crazy seats here. They will fly off the shelves!

Make the "limited" version properly nice. Bring it up to the level of the nice legacy limited interior. Doesn't have to be world class but satisfactorily nice with a decent stereo.

Can Subaru do a proper luxo interior?? Ive been in lots of Subies and while I find the interiors perfectly acceptable most of the media and a lot of member on here say different, has there ever been one thats been at least competitive in its class??

Agree - i was window shopping Subaru's on the weekend with my wife.  The Limited models of the Forester & Crosstrek looked plenty nice to me.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »
I thought the Tribeca interior was pretty good.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »
I thought the Tribeca interior was pretty good.

I thought the Tribeca looked fabulous when it first came out - i loved that sweeping curved metallic trim – but the materials quality was never that good, and while Subaru now has the soft touch dash, some of the other trim materials, swithcgear, etc. aren't as nice as something like the Mazda6/Mazda3 or the Ford Fusion/Focus

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 09:10:24 pm »
What wrong with the STI's interior?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 10:05:56 pm »
What wrong with the STI's interior?

1. Cheap hard plastics that creek and rattle during temperature and humidity changes.
2. Worst audio system ever.
3. Low quality materials.
4. Average seats for a performance car.
5. Dated styling.