Author Topic: TestFest Report: 2014 AJAC CCOTY Small Cars and Family Cars  (Read 6844 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
TestFest Report: 2014 AJAC CCOTY Small Cars and Family Cars
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:25:21 am »

Autos.ca editors and contributors descended on Niagara Falls to test the latest 2014 models in a variety of competitive categories. We start with the small cars and family cars.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: TestFest Report: 2014 AJAC CCOTY Small Cars and Family Cars
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:11:59 am »
Seems to me that this line sums it up best "Rounding out the list is a 2014 Mazda3 sedan that offers the best acceleration, handling, steering and fun-to-drive experience of the bunch. Its 155-hp 2.0L engine and six-speed automatic provides superior acceleration while offering comparable fuel economy to the Corolla"
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:42 am »
I agree with most things here.  My Japanese-loving bias seems to be, at least somewhat, founded in fact.  That big-little island-that-could is producing great cars.  Mazda, especially, is proving to be an amazing contender for value and performance, and no-compromises for fuel economy.

I still hate these competitions.  While I like comparing cars, especially with the idea of "I have $21k to spend, what can I buy?", I hate that the small car under $21k even included the 74hp Mirage or Versa Note.  I'd never cross-shop them.  Ever. 

Greg's conclusion was also correct here:
main drawback here is that it’s up against two superior compact sedans

I find it amazing, too, that the Forte isn't compared to the Corolla or the 3 because of $895 over the Corolla, and $1000 over the Mazda 3.  If it were "small car under $22k" things would look very, very different - as they would if the test cars were optioned differently.

That isn't to knock this competition - every competition has its own merits...so my conclusion is, "Go Mazda and Honda, Go!"

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:30:44 am »
While Mazda has been doing great with reviews and awards for the Mazda6, and I expect it to earn many with the Mazda3, I hope its sales pickup.  Because when sales pickup, we often get more of a good thing from the company.  A coupe would be nice, a Skyactiv V6 or turbo 4 cylinder, and Canadians want the wagon. 

As for the large car segment over $30,000.  Big fan of the Impala, not sure why GM supplied the LTZ?  I guess to show off all the car is capable of.  But by offering this trim, it won't most likely win it, due to lack of value, when compare to others... 

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:33 am »
So based on the comments ie favorite, likely to win the
Mazdas and Kia Rondos are going to win  ???

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:42:43 am »
Hmmm....I dont know why but that little Mirage intrigues me. Of course not with a horrid CVT, if youre gonna buy a bargain basement car, do it right and get a manual. The Fiesta ST is the obvious winner in the next class. As for "family car under $30K".......the 500L and the Soul?!?!?!? Uhhh no, those are for hip, 60+ year olds who want to fit their antiques in the back. The wannabe small minivan Rondo would be the way to roll. $45K for an Impala....I dont know what GM is smoking, but gimme some of that, way to close to my guilty pleasure AWD, 360HP Taurus SHO at that price. The Mazda 6 is the one for me, that car is so good looking it hurts.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:19 am »
I still hate these competitions.  While I like comparing cars, especially with the idea of "I have $21k to spend, what can I buy?", I hate that the small car under $21k even included the 74hp Mirage or Versa Note.  I'd never cross-shop them.  Ever. 

While i don't hate these competitions, I also wish we could dictate the exact trims, and prices in each category based on our assessment of the market, and that is definitely something I always campaign for with the CCOTY committee, and something we try to accomplish in our comparisons, though with varying results...

I especially get worked up when we don't have the Corolla, Forte and 3 all together in the same category at TestFest, but we'll have them all in for a big Autos.ca Comparison very very soon.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:36 am »
Hmmm....I dont know why but that little Mirage intrigues me. Of course not with a horrid CVT, if youre gonna buy a bargain basement car, do it right and get a manual. The Fiesta ST is the obvious winner in the next class. As for "family car under $30K".......the 500L and the Soul?!?!?!? Uhhh no, those are for hip, 60+ year olds who want to fit their antiques in the back. The wannabe small minivan Rondo would be the way to roll. $45K for an Impala....I dont know what GM is smoking, but gimme some of that, way to close to my guilty pleasure AWD, 360HP Taurus SHO at that price. The Mazda 6 is the one for me, that car is so good looking it hurts.

And if they bring the mazda6 diesel manual Wagon over...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:49:36 am »

And if they bring the mazda6 diesel manual Wagon over...

Only if its awd, has 300+ horses and costs under $20K....in before that happened  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:25 am »
as we've stated so many times... these comparisons/tests/whathaveyou are not quite as useful as they could be. mainly due to the choice in packages and content on the tested cars. the people who give the journalists these cars have probably worked for the car manufacturers so long they have never actually purchased a car, so have no idea what features are worth people spending their hard earned cake. it happens when you have demo/company vehicles forever.

anyways...

mazda3.......... mazda3sport........ mazda6......... coty mazda3sport.

it's too bad because those aren't the best cars in their classes or categories as a whole... just in the packages given to you guys. i don't even care for mazda, but i can't see how they won't win... the only maybe is if the cruze diesel tests better than expected.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 12:20:21 pm »
Mazda3, Mazda3, Rondo, Mazda6

I would be very surprised if that is not the final tally. The Accord Hybrid sounds terrific, but for 12k$ less, you get the also terrific Accord LX with one of Honda's legendary manual trannies.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 01:46:56 pm »
as we've stated so many times... these comparisons/tests/whathaveyou are not quite as useful as they could be. mainly due to the choice in packages and content on the tested cars. the people who give the journalists these cars have probably worked for the car manufacturers so long they have never actually purchased a car, so have no idea what features are worth people spending their hard earned cake. it happens when you have demo/company vehicles forever.

anyways...

mazda3.......... mazda3sport........ mazda6......... coty mazda3sport.

it's too bad because those aren't the best cars in their classes or categories as a whole... just in the packages given to you guys. i don't even care for mazda, but i can't see how they won't win... the only maybe is if the cruze diesel tests better than expected.

I am interested to hear what you think the best car in their classes are?  For me in the compact class, Mazda3 Sport or VW Golf.  In the midsize class Mazda6 or Honda Accord. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 02:04:47 pm »
should have added that they aren't the best argumentatively... they have a claim for it, but compact, the civic corolla, elantra, focus all have pretty good chops.  midsized i would include the fusion, camry, optima, accord, passat.... all pretty good vehicles that could be competitive if packaged suitably.

the "it's too bad" is more because i hate to see a sweep. i like to spread the wins plus i feel that i at least would have had a tougher time picking those cars if the opponents were equipped/priced in a way that made them more directly competitive.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 02:10:34 pm »
Guess your a little indecisive, you named over 4 models from each category....

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 02:17:01 pm »

I would be very surprised if that is not the final tally. The Accord Hybrid sounds terrific, but for 12k$ less, you get the also terrific Accord LX with one of Honda's legendary manual trannies.

And if mazda could get a mazda5 with skyactiv would it be a sweep?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »
Guess your a little indecisive, you named over 4 models from each category....

yep i am.

because i'm realistic. if one car was better than all others in predetermined classes such as this, where cost is also taken into account, then why would any other car in said class exist? it's been decided that this one car is the best in it's class ALL things considered. if you bought something other than the winner, you are flat out wrong....

BUT, this type of thing all depends on the person buying it,what their needs are and what options are needed/wanted.

so that's why i waffle on these and why i don't like them.

if i had to choose best in class for me, all things considered) i guess i'd pick the elantra gt and in the midsized i think i'd go optima.  but i'm not so self important that i'd even suggest that my picks are best in class as a whole or that my optioning is what everyone should get.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:38 pm »
if i had to choose best in class for me, all things considered) i guess i'd pick the elantra gt and in the midsized i think i'd go optima.  but i'm not so self important that i'd even suggest that my picks are best in class as a whole or that my optioning is what everyone should get.

That what I first asked, and I get this novel as a response with 4 different models.. I too like the Elantra GT, but I haven't drove it yet (would be nice to have another engine option). The Optima is quite the looker like the Mazda6 and Ford Fusion, certainly has more power when opting for the turbo, but the steering feel and suspension is a drawback for me...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »
yeah, the forte5 has better engine choices than the elantra... but then i realized i don't need the better engine for what i'd be using it for and prefer the hyundai look. the optima's option list outweighed the steering feel for me.

sorry for the "novel", but i like to be sure i actually post what i'm thinking... even if what i'm thinking is useless (often the case). i speak the same way... i often get told by my wife to shut up. i won't get offended when the same happens here.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 04:49:00 pm »
Like you say, it's what the owner puts at a priority.  Options for me are at the bottom of the list.  The order for me is close to this: Exterior looks, interior looks/comfort, price in class, reliability, cargo space (miss the Mazda6 sport hatch), reasonable performance (for me 175hp to 200hp is enough for fwd midsize), handling, fuel economy, then options.  As a next car it must have: Bluetooth, USB, leather wrapped steering wheel with controls, auto headlights, and alloys.  Nice to have: leather, fog lights, bi-xenon lights, nav.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:58 am »

I would be very surprised if that is not the final tally.

Me too... that's the way I expect it to go...
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla