Author Topic: Lexus, Toyota, Acura Tops CR Reliability Survey 2013  (Read 7111 times)

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
Lexus, Toyota, Acura Tops CR Reliability Survey 2013
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »
"Japanese car brands continue to dominate in car reliability, but brands from all corners of the globe showed movement in the latest analysis. Lexus, Toyota, and Acura claim the top three spots in predicted reliability rankings by brands. But that is not to say choosing a Japanese-branded car ensures fewer problems."
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/consumer-reports-car-reliability-survey-shows-brands-rising-and-falling?icid=autos_4781
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/10/toyota-camry-rav4-no-longer-recommended-safety-concerns/index.htm

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/10/japanese-brand-dominance-ends-in-2013-consumer-reports-reliability-study.html
1. Lexus
2. Toyota
3. Acura
4. Audi
5. Mazda
6.  Infiniti
7. Volvo
8.  Honda
9. GMC
10. Subaru

If you care for Consumer reports...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Lexus, Toyota, Acura Tops CR Reliability Survey 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:21:25 pm »
 ??? Audi

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:24:13 pm »
Audi is 4 spots ahead of Honda?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:40:48 pm »
Never really got the whole "predicted" reliability ratings from CR.  Certainly not anything I really ever pay attention to. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:44 am »
Ya, so they take a new car around their loop for a ride, then park it in a front of a big crystal ball.  I must be the only lucky Nissan driver that only ever has to do oil changes.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:03:20 am »
Ford got creamed for MFT. CR continues not to distinguish between ergonomics and reliability.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:54:22 am »
Ford got creamed for MFT. CR continues not to distinguish between ergonomics and reliability.

Nissan as well, and I can relate, there is no way my wife can figure out the radio/nav/bluetooth system in her VersaNote, but again nor is she very good with Windows and PCs in general or anything techy.  I'll have to configure it for her before she gets upset with it.  Therefore we have to picture that a lot of people are even worse than her.  Then we also have the problem that not all phones are compatible with all the features by looking at the list of various manufacturers, so if the buyer or the salesman dont know this before hand someone might just end up peeved.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:07:01 pm »
was reading some of the cr stuff lately.... i think it's like the first time that chrysler doesn't have anything in the "worth ten" list.... 50% fords... i'm sure it's all because of myfordtouch or whatever... or at least most of it.

yeah, i generally assume peoples phones will be compatible... i always say as long as it has bluetooth, but i have some customers who just think cellphone = bluetooth. i feel like if the person is unable to pair the phone, they are also probably unable to drive and talk on the phone at the same time anyway.... no offense meant.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:16 pm »
look at Volvo!

CR continues not to distinguish between ergonomics and reliability.

that's the biggest issue I take with this.   While some ergonomics are common sense, some of it is also suggestive.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »

While I H-A-T-E the MFT system with an undying passion, it has nothing to do with reliability.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »
while i'm totally generalizing, i feel that the type of buyer who uses (solely) consumer reports are the type of buyer who buys simple options intending on the car lasting for over a decade. hardly the type of buyer who will be opting for the mft option.

ah well. just one source of information... hopefully everyone who reads it takes it with a grain of salt.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »
while i'm totally generalizing, i feel that the type of buyer who uses (solely) consumer reports are the type of buyer who buys simple options intending on the car lasting for over a decade. hardly the type of buyer who will be opting for the mft option.

ah well. just one source of information... hopefully everyone who reads it takes it with a grain of salt.

While a crowd of gearheads like whats on here would take anything car related with a grain of salt, but for the vast majority of people CR is the word of god.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 01:22:05 pm »
Autoguide has also published CR's Top Ten List of least reliable vehicles. It seems that Ford is be lambasted by it's readers. Justified or not.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/05/top-10-least-reliable-cars-and-trucks.html
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »

I thought they originally slagged it as a safety hazard. IE...It was so complicated and hard to use that they felt people would be distracted trying to use it and get into more accidents..
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »
Autoguide has also published CR's Top Ten List of least reliable vehicles. It seems that Ford is be lambasted by it's readers. Justified or not.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/05/top-10-least-reliable-cars-and-trucks.html

CR is getting more and more pathetic!  That list was brutal.  Since when does things like a tight backseat, visibility, stiff ride, unrefined tranny, etc have anything to do with reliability.  I don't think I read one single thing reliability wise in that link.   ::)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »

CR is getting more and more pathetic!  That list was brutal.  Since when does things like a tight backseat, visibility, stiff ride, unrefined tranny, etc have anything to do with reliability.  I don't think I read one single thing reliability wise in that link.   ::)

Well, lack of visibility is arguably a safety issue but I have to agree on the others.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 01:45:07 pm »
The first one on the list is the Flex, which they continue to recommend. So what does that mean exactly?

The Focus was another example, Everything is in the red except for audio equipment and "transmission, minor". Even with the transmission, they don't distinguish between it needing a reflash, or needing actual repairs.

It's getting difficult to tease out which cars are actually problematic.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 01:48:20 pm »

I thought they originally slagged it as a safety hazard. IE...It was so complicated and hard to use that they felt people would be distracted trying to use it and get into more accidents..

Thats still peoples stupidity, I have a smartphone, but if I walk out into the middle of a busy street and get his by a truck while playing angry birds its not Samsungs fault is it??

Apparently they have a vendetta against Ford.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 01:55:27 pm »

Thats still peoples stupidity, I have a smartphone, but if I walk out into the middle of a busy street and get his by a truck while playing angry birds its not Samsungs fault is it??

don't even think about that Fob...  i'm afraid somebody will think that's justified to blame manufacturers..  wouldn't even surprise me, what with all Toyota UA lawsuits...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 01:55:52 pm »

People alleged stupidity aside, if it's harder to use,more complicated,and more distracting than similar control systems in other cars I'd say it's a fair knock against Ford.

Also, if large numbers of Ford's customers have trouble figuring out than Ford has  a problem with the system period.