Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Subaru Forester XT  (Read 15829 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 09:41:30 am »
it also doesn't contain any ethanol, which i try to avoid.

That's the only thing I'll agree on...it's not that using premium will harm your engine built for regular - not even remotely - but it's a waste of money. Even at 0.5L/100km better, you're spending $0.13-0.18 more per L...it's a waste of money and doesn't do anything better for your car.

objectively, yes.  but since real life experiences sometimes vary from engineering theories, i'll side with dirtyjeffer.

while he doesn't NEED to use premium, if he observes better behavior from his engine using premium, and he is willing and able to pay for the premium on premium(fuel  ;D) why the heck not?

and V-power is one of the best premium fuel not only for the octane rating, fuel content(almost guaranteed to be ethanol free) but its detergent packages, which helps clean the engine.    on my M, i get about 5~10% better mileage on Shell V power compared to other premium gases.  (including Esso's..  strangely)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 10:48:49 am »
 ::) ...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
it also doesn't contain any ethanol, which i try to avoid.

That's the only thing I'll agree on...it's not that using premium will harm your engine built for regular - not even remotely - but it's a waste of money.  Even at 0.5L/100km better, you're spending $0.13-0.18 more per L...it's a waste of money and doesn't do anything better for your car.
i know what my car runs like on both fuels...it runs better on V-Power...smoother, no pinging when under load, better fuel economy...the extra few bucks per fill up are negligible...i also think ethanol is bad for some cars, especially ones that are direct injected...ethanol absorbs a lot of water, which i think can cause issues down the road on fuel injected cars, especially direct injected ones...direct injected cars also don't get their valves bathed in cleaning agents and fuel during operation, so using a top quality fuel is, in my opinion, a good idea for long term performance (power and fuel economy)...V-power costs about $5-$6 extra per fill up, but if i can get an extra .5 on my mileage, that is about 3 extra liters of fuel, which at $1.35/liter is about $4 of that back in gains, meaning each fill up costs me about $2 extra.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.