Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla  (Read 58050 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2013, 06:56:42 pm »
the problem is even documented on the APA website. Titled "Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 Engine Failures". It's specific to the 2.3 engine from the 2004-2007 period. Can't seem to be able to put the link here... but it's on google.

I'll check it out but as I say, I know many 3 owners through my club and only two engine failures. You can find any information on the internet to back up whatever you think of something.

Btw, the exact same 2.3L engine was in the first gen Ford Fusion, Mazda 5, and Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute. Does APA report any problems there? My Mazda 5 left such a positive impression that I traded it in for a new Mazda.

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2013, 06:59:39 pm »
The down side of the Mazda3 is the high maintenance cost. I know 2 Mazda 3 owners that had to get their engines replaced before the car was 4 years old and under 100,000km. The yearly maintenance was over   $600 not including 1 had a $1500 brake job. It was my first choice sporty with Japanese reliability but if the cost of ownership is so high I'll take a VW instead.

....mazda's engine's based on Ford Duratec.. (not the new sky active stuff, but until couple years ago) and i haven't heard that many ford's engine failure, so your friend either didn't maintain the car or that was an outlier.

the 2.3 had engine failures before 2006. I have a mazda3 2008 no engine, transmission or suspension problems.

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2013, 07:01:06 pm »
the problem is even documented on the APA website. Titled "Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 Engine Failures". It's specific to the 2.3 engine from the 2004-2007 period. Can't seem to be able to put the link here... but it's on google.

I'll check it out but as I say, I know many 3 owners through my club and only two engine failures. You can find any information on the internet to back up whatever you think of something.

Btw, the exact same 2.3L engine was in the first gen Ford Fusion, Mazda 5, and Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute. Does APA report any problems there? My Mazda 5 left such a positive impression that I traded it in for a new Mazda.

its not the same engine. the mazda has vvt, the ford doesnt.
the fusions doesnt seem to suffer from this but I know some people with the focus st 2.3L of the time (2005-2007) had engine failures too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:02:58 pm by alexdc »

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2013, 08:39:11 pm »

The 2.3L was also used in the 4-cylinder versions of the Mazda6.
No issues with the 2.3L when I owned the Mazda6.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2013, 07:13:03 am »
From the story: The Mazda3 has not completed IIHS crash testing, but both its predecessor and the CX-5 crossover, with which it shares body structure, have both aced the test previously.

That simply isn't true.  The CX-5 received the exact same marginal rating as the Corolla in the small overlap crash.  Both scored an identical "Top Safety Pick", and both missed out on the "+" rating because of that marginal small overlap score.  And the previous generation Mazda3 was never tested on the small overlap crash...and was identically rated to the previous generation Toyota.

So much for fact checking and oversight by the story writer's editor.  This is sloppy journalism at best IMO.  At worst, it's biased journalism.  Neither are acceptable IMO, since this story is being passed off as fact.

2013/14 CX-5: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5
2014 Corolla: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/corolla

Previous generation Mazda3: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/3-sedan
Previous generation Corolla: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/corolla/2013
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:21:02 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2013, 09:16:26 am »
I agree rrocket, very sloppy and has the smell of fanboism.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2013, 09:23:41 am »
Nice rrocket.
Only took you two more pages and 3 days later AFTER I mentioned that :P
I thought you were on top of these things.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:29:48 am by Black Hatch »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:56 am »
So much for fact checking and oversight by the story writer's editor.  This is sloppy journalism at best IMO.  At worst, it's biased journalism.  Neither are acceptable IMO, since this story is being passed off as fact.

My favourite part is the way you always go after the editor and not the writer...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2013, 11:09:10 am »

My favourite part is the way you always go after the editor and not the writer...

Both are at fault but.....

"Editing is the process of selecting and preparing written, visual, audible and film media used to convey information. The editing process can involve correction, condensation, organization, and other modifications performed with an intention of producing a correct, consistent, accurate and complete work."

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:12 pm »
rrocket, snowman and hatch -

The correction is valid, I have indeed written that sloppily. The CX-5 did not "ace" the test, and while the previous '3 did well, it was not exceptional over the Corolla in any way.

However, if asked to defend my guess that the '3 will do better than the Corolla, I'll just point out that the CX-5 outscored the Rav4 and the Mazda6 outscored the Camry, with the latter a Top Safety Plus pick. Both Mazdas are structurally similar to the '3, and with the 3's light weight, similarly long nose as the '6 and sedan center of gravity, I fully expected it to do as well as the '6 or better. Certainly I preferred the drive of the Mazda as-stated from the outset of the article, but based on current trends in this particular crash-test, my best educated guess remains that the '3 will beat the Corolla here. I suppose we will see.

2014 RAV4: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/rav4
2014 CX-5: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5

2014 Camry: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/camry
2014 Mazda6: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/6

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:54 pm »

Both are at fault but.....

"Editing is the process of selecting and preparing written, visual, audible and film media used to convey information. The editing process can involve correction, condensation, organization, and other modifications performed with an intention of producing a correct, consistent, accurate and complete work."

Agreed, it is as much (or more) the Editor's responsibility to catch any inaccuracies, so for that our apologies. I think Jacob is pointing out the irony of a certain bias in the commenter...

However, we are in no way biased toward any one brand or another, although I think any automotive writer that does not admit to preference for a car that is fun to drive is simply not being honest - we don't get into this business not enjoying a spirited drive.

I just finally drove the Corolla last week, and I think it's a huge improvement, and not the dull, almost scary daily driver it used to be (in CE trim) - i'd be pretty much content with it as a commuter if I had another car for fun. Personally, it's the interior of the Corolla that turns me off. It's also way better than previous, but it is too busy and slightly less functional, and the materials look decent but feel subpar compared to the 3. 
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2013, 12:47:35 pm »
If it were my money, I'd probably get the Corolla.  They both feel cheap, but Toyota's reputation, resale, and overall value are better. 
if i were in the market for compact sedan, i'd take a good look at several vehicles, but i think it would be hard to NOT pick a Corolla or a Civic...just from the sheer cost of ownership on them...a couple of my friends/colleagues have bought these cars lately and while their models lack some of the "fun features", the fact their cars are still worth $5k+ after 10 years does make me jealous.
Can you be sure that the NEW Corolla and CIvic will retain their costs as the old models did? This is a quite big question since the competition is on par if not better that Corolla or Civic now.
Bombastic

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »
 It's amazing..This Toyota is actually not offensive to look at!  But underneath it till reeks of cheap compromise...4 speed auto or CVT? Rear drums? Fifteen inch tin wheels?...Ugh..Nice review. Thanks..Jack

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2013, 02:47:47 pm »
Nice rrocket.

I generally don't visit the forums from Fri-Sun....so I often miss certain stories by a few days.

Is that OK by you?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2013, 03:39:55 pm »
Nice rrocket.

I generally don't visit the forums from Fri-Sun....so I often miss certain stories by a few days.

Is that OK by you?
Touche.

The least I expected was that at least you would quote me and acknowledged that I brought it up as well. :P

Also you were on yesterday and didn't mention it either :P
Relax dude.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2013, 03:58:38 pm »
rrocket, snowman and hatch -

The correction is valid, I have indeed written that sloppily. The CX-5 did not "ace" the test, and while the previous '3 did well, it was not exceptional over the Corolla in any way.

However, if asked to defend my guess that the '3 will do better than the Corolla, I'll just point out that the CX-5 outscored the Rav4 and the Mazda6 outscored the Camry, with the latter a Top Safety Plus pick. Both Mazdas are structurally similar to the '3, and with the 3's light weight, similarly long nose as the '6 and sedan center of gravity, I fully expected it to do as well as the '6 or better. Certainly I preferred the drive of the Mazda as-stated from the outset of the article, but based on current trends in this particular crash-test, my best educated guess remains that the '3 will beat the Corolla here. I suppose we will see.

2014 RAV4: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/rav4
2014 CX-5: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5

2014 Camry: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/camry
2014 Mazda6: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/6

Same argument I used... about 20 some days earlier... :P
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,85166.msg924203.html#msg924203

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2013, 05:07:26 pm »

Relax dude.

I am completely relaxed.  Especially towards you, as the issue at hand had nothing to do with you in any way.

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2013, 09:28:24 pm »
I continue to be mystified by the continuing increase in wheel/tire diameters.  For years, most cars had 14" wheels, with some compacts equipped with 13s and large, luxury models shod with 15s.  Then we started seeing 15s on even small cars, and now 16 and 17 on Corollas, and 20 on anything regarded as 'sporty', whether SUV or sedan/coupe.
Larger wheels add unsprung weight to the chassis, which causes additional, or accelerated, wear to the suspension components.  Same goes for the bigger rubber mounted on those wheels.  The only logical reason (other than styling, which the driver can't see from his position) for larger wheels would be to add braking capacity, by increasing the diameter of the rotors, and concurrently adding bigger pads and calipers.  This should add safety by improving braking performance (while adding further to unsprung weight, by the way), but I can find nothing in road tests or manufacturers' advertising to indicate what enhancements have been added.  Engineering specs, when you get the full breakdown, probably have that kind of data, but it seems everyone just slaps these wheels on and expects the buyer to go along quietly.
Oh, by the way, as many of you already have found out, a 17" tire costs just *a few* bucks more than a 15", and when you get up to 20", be prepared to sink the pablum budget for new skins on the Camaro!

Offline stevecan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Mazda 3 2011 cx9 2012 Mazda 3 sky
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2013, 09:32:41 pm »
I don't know about how Toyota treats there customers but Mazda has terrible customer service. I hope they fix the Skyactiv automatic transmission defect that mine had. Ya 7 1/2 weeks for a tranny to come from Japan for my 2012 Sky.and yes SAULT STE.MARIE Ont.Mazda delearship not happy with your lack of concern as well.Save your money on Mazda and buy a Toyota Corolla there reliabilty and service is legendary.  >:( >:(

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:07 pm »
I continue to be mystified by the continuing increase in wheel/tire diameters.

Most of it style.