Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla  (Read 58058 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 04:53:23 pm »
So you compare the most sophisticated Corolla with CVT and Eco mode instead the four gear auto equipped, against 3. Does this means Corolla customers adopted CVT?

Very, very few Corolla will be 4AT equipped.  Only the very base model has it.  Almost all will be CVT equipped.

I think quite a few will be.  Corollas are common in base trim, more so then any other brand that I've noticed.  My guess is Corolla owners mostly just want cheap transportation and are less likely to buy expensive options.
You nail it , PJ! I'm waiting all morning someone to suggest it...And first of all as the author claims the Corolla drivers aren't 50k drivers, instead they do drive much more. Just see what percentage of used Corollas for sale are at that mileage...and see the prices. And something more - the most common car with no power options in the class is Corolla. Very few of them are even with alloys or heated mirrors or seats. Heated seats in Canada manufactured Corollas for Canadian marked? It doesn't exist, bro!

Nailed what  ???   

Although the CE is available to any Toyota dealer the default base Canadian Corolla model is the LE.  CEs are primarily export to Mexico and central America.

Heated seats in Canada manufactured Corollas for Canadian marked? It doesn't exist, bro!

2014 base LE.   Thanks to Kia and Hyundai.  :)

Default base model?   Base model is the base model.  Yes it will be job of the salesman to upsell people to the more profitable LE but most Corolla buyers will arrive looking for the base car. 

Likely they won't find any on the lot and will end up paying $5k more through the magic of clever financing.... " "so what are you looking to pay a month?".
Steve , what model to you sell the most over ?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 05:11:09 pm »
What are you paying right now? We'll get you into this new car for less than what you're paying right now.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 07:19:14 pm »
extensive video's from the US on these two vehicles

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/first-drive-review-2014-toyota-corolla-with-video/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/first-drive-review-2014-mazda3-with-video/

I stopped reading the Corolla article at the interior part, looking at the that picture  :hurl: I dont know but it felt like 1960 something, holy f... that is ugly.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »

great shot, Brendan!.

by any chance, are you a giant?   how did you get such high point of view?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08:05 pm »
If you have a habit of ramming telephone poles, I advise against purchasing a Toyota Corolla. In the IIHS’s new small-overlap test, the Corolla received a grade of “Marginal” when vehicle structure intruded into the passenger footwell.

Even so, the Corolla still rated a Top Safety Pick, as the crash test dummy declared, “It’s only a flesh wound!” or something like that. The Toyota performed well in all other tests (rollover, side-impact), and is a fairly safe choice. As long as you stay away from telephone poles. And Mr. Strong.

The Mazda3 has not completed IIHS crash testing, but both its predecessor and the CX-5 crossover, with which it shares body structure, have both aced the test previously. Unlike Toyota, who has been having problems with the new crash-test regulations with their RAV4 as well, Mazda seems to have built their machines proactively for safety, rather than simply planning on reacting to results.
Before you invoke  the wrath of rrocket, the CX-5 was rated only "marginal" on the small overlap the same as the Corolla.
The Mazda6 was acceptable in the small overlap.

It took 16 replies before the whole rust thing was brought up AGAIN. People must be getting slow around here.  ::)
I'm still waiting for the mention of the Corolla and their ancient mechanism for stopping the rear rollers... that starts with "d" and ends with "rums".  :P

In regards to rust... There are at least three factors
1. Thickness of the paint that covers the metal
2. The amount of salt used on the roadway
3. The suspectibility of the steel to oxidize

Also no mention of the Mazda3 gas door moved from the passenger side to the driver side?

In regards to Hot Wheels, can you get a 2014 Corolla or 2014 Mazda3 Hot Wheels car.

I know Hot Wheels has the AE86 Corolla but I never could find any modern Corollas.
Matchbox has a Mazda2 but I haven't seen any other Mazdas.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »
Considering its a first year model Corolla with the CVT is there any reliability history on the one that the Corolla uses.

I am hesitant/cautious about CVTs considering what Nissan is going through with the new Pathfinder and their shudduering CVT issues.

Also on another note the Scion IQ may be dropped for 2014.
http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-scion-iq-may-be-dropped-in-2014-420123.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/first-drive-review-2014-toyota-corolla-with-video/
Seems like the best word describing the corolla is "average".
Average in everything but not standing out in anything.
The best "average" compact car?

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
[quote author=Black Hatch
In regards to rust... There are at least three factors
1. Thickness of the paint that covers the metal
2. The amount of salt used on the roadway
3. The suspectibility of the steel to oxidize

Also no mention of the Mazda3 gas door moved from the passenger side to the driver side?

In regards to Hot Wheels, can you get a 2014 Corolla or 2014 Mazda3 Hot Wheels car.

I know Hot Wheels has the AE86 Corolla but I never could find any modern Corollas.
Matchbox has a Mazda2 but I haven't seen any other Mazdas.
[/quote]

here is a mazda 3 speed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Mazda-3-Speed-Yello-Green-color-changing-/121196541511

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 09:51:32 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is it worth mentioning?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 09:55:59 pm »
Is it worth mentioning?

Yes it is.
Frankly one key point that moved me away from the Forester was that the gas door was on the passenger side.
(Maybe not so key but it still a point)

I like cars with gas doors on the driver's side.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »
Is it worth mentioning?

Yes it is.
Frankly one key point that moved me away from the Forester was that the gas door was on the passenger side.

Over the last 30 plus years of owning cars I think mine have been pretty evenly split between driver and passenger side with the exception on my 81 Malibu which had the gas cap behind the rear licence plate.  That was the best idea, right now I have one of each and I still have to stop and think sometimes which side is it on?

I don't really care which, just pick one.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:41 pm »
Is it worth mentioning?
Yes it is.

Over the last 30 plus years of owning cars I think mine have been pretty evenly split between driver and passenger side with the exception on my 81 Malibu which had the gas cap behind the rear licence plate.  That was the best idea, right now I have one of each and I still have to stop and think sometimes which side is it on?

I don't really care which, just pick one.
Its more of habbit.
When you are used to one side having to refuel on the other side messes with you.
All the vehicles I own and driven including all the trucks at my company all were driver side save one a 1990 Taurus.
94 Corolla, 04 Mazda6, 04 RX-8, 14 CX-5.

I think the 04 to 13 Mazda3 are the only Mazda vehicles to have the fuel door on the passenger/right side.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »
I don't get why that's an issue at all. The little arrow next to the bowser symbol on your dash tells you what side it's on. Not buying a car because the fill cap is on the wrong side?  That's a new one!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2013, 10:33:37 pm »
I don't get why that's an issue at all. The little arrow next to the bowser symbol on your dash tells you what side it's on. Not buying a car because the fill cap is on the wrong side?  That's a new one!
Can explain this , bowser symbol ?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2013, 10:40:54 pm »

He forgot what continent he is on: He meant the fuel pump symbol (on the fuel gauge).

And it's surprising how many people have never noticed that little arrow on the gauge. Or maybe it's not on all makes? I know my GTI has it, and all the Ford/GM/Dodge company trucks...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:42:59 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2013, 10:43:04 pm »
I've never known what side the gas tank is on for any car I bought until the first time I went to put gas in it.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »

He forgot what continent he is on: He meant the fuel pump symbol.

And it's surprising how many people have never noticed that little arrow on the gauge. Or maybe it's not on all makes? I know my GTI has it, and all the Ford/GM/Dodge company trucks...

some cars don't have that arrow though.  and it's a myth that the pump symbols handle tells you which side the filler cap is on.

both our family german mobiles have fuel filler on passenger side..  it's been years like this and i STILL sometimes pull up on driver side..  :-[

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2013, 10:47:50 pm »
I'd be keen to know which makes don't. Certainly all the ones I've been in since about 2011 have it.