Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla  (Read 58055 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 11:56:32 am »
I had a Mazda 5 with 180,000km on it no problems. I've known Corolla owners who needed new engines on the now defunct 9thgencorolla forum. 5 year old cars.

Corolla S has a standard manual transmission. It is a nice car though. I'm still not a fan of the seats.

I can seat 3 toddlers in my 3. It's not big but it's not tiny either. Comfortable is how I would describe it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »
I have a brother in law that just bought a new Jetta 2.0 trendline +.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that he bought a complete POS.  I can really only name one compact that is worse than that in my eyes, and that's a base model Lancer.  Why he wouldn't have taken 5 minutes to read any article and know that the Jetta in that trim level is a terrible vehicle is beyond me.  I have driven it too, over 500 kms as a rental and it did not improve my expectations.  I'm pretty sure that the Dodge Dart has more Euro blood in it than that Jetta (engine from Mexico, made in Mexico, styled for US, stripped down for base price).  The reason I mention this is because these types of articles are the ones that car buyers need to read in order to make a informed decision.  If only it was manditory for people to do research before car buying.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 12:38:52 pm »
Thanks for a well written review of two cars that we're going to see a lot of on Canadian roads. Nothing really at all wrong with the Corolla, but the Mazda3 is more what I'm looking for. Including Mazda's sweet shifting six speed manual.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 12:43:04 pm »

Mechanically speaking, the Mazda is ahead on horsepower by 155 hp compared to Corolla’s 132 hp, as well as having one extra cog in the manual gearbox and two extra gears if you option an automatic transmission.

Has Mazda come up with a 7 speed manual? The base Corolla manual is 6 speed, and the 5M is history. I looked at at 2 of them last weekend and I was amazed that they even had manual Corollas on the lot.

Oh sorry, that's my error. Flipping back and forth between spec sheets, I must have got base '13 spec in there somehow. You are correct that they're all 6spd now - although I'd imagine you wouldn't see too many outside of Quebec.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 01:44:40 pm »
So you compare the most sophisticated Corolla with CVT and Eco mode instead the four gear auto equipped, against 3. Does this means Corolla customers adopted CVT?

Very, very few Corolla will be 4AT equipped.  Only the very base model has it.  Almost all will be CVT equipped.

I think quite a few will be.  Corollas are common in base trim, more so then any other brand that I've noticed.  My guess is Corolla owners mostly just want cheap transportation and are less likely to buy expensive options.
You nail it , PJ! I'm waiting all morning someone to suggest it...And first of all as the author claims the Corolla drivers aren't 50k drivers, instead they do drive much more. Just see what percentage of used Corollas for sale are at that mileage...and see the prices. And something more - the most common car with no power options in the class is Corolla. Very few of them are even with alloys or heated mirrors or seats. Heated seats in Canada manufactured Corollas for Canadian marked? It doesn't exist, bro!

Offline Sir Timbit

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 01:48:01 pm »
It took 16 replies before the whole rust thing was brought up AGAIN. People must be getting slow around here.  ::)

I think it's fair point. I've got an '07 Mazda 3. It's been great! I've had to do pretty much nothing but regular oil changes and other basic maintenance. That being said, I've started noticing rust on the metal just below the taillight enclosures. It was in for some kind of corrosion-related recall years ago, where the dealer basically just sprayed some coating on the body. I had a Protege before that also had some (minor, fortunately) rust issues. It's really frustrating. I'm a Mazda fan but who's to say if they've really fixed this for once and for all, compared to other brands.

Offline Kinetis

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 330, Nissan 200SX
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57:17 pm »
I don't feel so bad about my Hot wheels/Matchbox urges now.  :D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »
It took 16 replies before the whole rust thing was brought up AGAIN. People must be getting slow around here.  ::)

I think it's fair point. I've got an '07 Mazda 3. It's been great! I've had to do pretty much nothing but regular oil changes and other basic maintenance. That being said, I've started noticing rust on the metal just below the taillight enclosures. It was in for some kind of corrosion-related recall years ago, where the dealer basically just sprayed some coating on the body. I had a Protege before that also had some (minor, fortunately) rust issues. It's really frustrating. I'm a Mazda fan but who's to say if they've really fixed this for once and for all, compared to other brands.

I don't know if some rust in a potentially 7 year old car within an isolated area is considered a rust problem.
There could be some areas of concern that have to be further addressed.
The old issue with the Mazda 3 were mostly around the wheel wells and within a much shorter period of time. It seems that Mazda corrected that major screw up post 05 cars.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:19:08 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »
My 99 Sienna has rust on the rear tailgate. Thinking of grabbing a same coloured one from the local junk yard for $90.

There's an ad for a Mazda Protege5 cheap but because of rust issues in Vancouver. First time I've seen one.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »
I've yet to see a single 2014 Mazda 3 with Rust issues  ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 02:11:39 pm »
So you compare the most sophisticated Corolla with CVT and Eco mode instead the four gear auto equipped, against 3. Does this means Corolla customers adopted CVT?

Very, very few Corolla will be 4AT equipped.  Only the very base model has it.  Almost all will be CVT equipped.

I think quite a few will be.  Corollas are common in base trim, more so then any other brand that I've noticed.  My guess is Corolla owners mostly just want cheap transportation and are less likely to buy expensive options.
You nail it , PJ! I'm waiting all morning someone to suggest it...And first of all as the author claims the Corolla drivers aren't 50k drivers, instead they do drive much more. Just see what percentage of used Corollas for sale are at that mileage...and see the prices. And something more - the most common car with no power options in the class is Corolla. Very few of them are even with alloys or heated mirrors or seats. Heated seats in Canada manufactured Corollas for Canadian marked? It doesn't exist, bro!

Nailed what  ???   

Although the CE is available to any Toyota dealer the default base Canadian Corolla model is the LE.  CEs are primarily export to Mexico and central America.

Heated seats in Canada manufactured Corollas for Canadian marked? It doesn't exist, bro!

2014 base LE.   Thanks to Kia and Hyundai.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »
The old issue with the Mazda 3 were mostly around the wheel wells and within a much shorter period of time. It seems that Mazda correct that major screw up on future cars.

Remains to be seen.  Takes 5 years.  Regardless if I HAD to choose between the 2 mentioned in this article I'd take the Mazda.  Once the rear wheel well rusts appears the car is JUNK for wholesale purposes.  That's the concern.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »
You can get heated seats in one of the CheapEdition packages.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:57 pm »
You can get heated seats in one of the CheapEdition packages.

Be specific.  Reference it.  :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
No comment about the LED lights on the corolla?

I really don't like that 'glued on iPad' in the 3.  How could they think that looks good?

Also that note about the digital gauges, they do suck the big one.  Are they really cheaper than mechanical gauges?  Automakers are getting so cheap, the temp gauge is disappearing from most small cars these days too.

+1 on the standard LEDs!  The 8th Gen Corolla's headlights were about as bright as a 40w bulb illuminating a roadway.  These new headlamps are worldly better, and standard!  They make the car feel far more expensive than it is - look at that, perceived value?!

Wanna know why the Corolla sells so damn well?  ^^^^ (referring to WRX_Pilot's post) that's why.  Automotive enthusiasts care about the drive, but the typical buyer, especially of "econoboxes", cares about value and an absence of compromise.  Yes, the car is cheap, but who wants to shell out $20,000+ on something they don't like?  Not exactly 'pocket change'.

You all b!tch about the flat seats in the Corolla, yet my arthritis-prone spine prefers the Corolla's seat any day to that rock-hard one in the Mazda.  And when my parents got our Corolla, I was pushing for the Mazda 3, but my mother had trouble getting into the car over the lateral bolsters - in other words, THE BOLSTERING DETERRED MY MOTHER FROM ALLOWING MY DAD TO PURCHASE THE MAZDA 3.  The bolsters, and the bolsters alone, were enough for Mazda to lose our business.  With that being said, dad hated the seat in the Mazda 3 so he wouldn't have bought it either.

Both recognized that the Mazda cornered better, but in their words, the Corolla 'drove' better...

The masses don't care about driving enjoyment in a C-segment car.  Our Corolla CE MSRP'd at $19,500 (volume model), so very few will get the 4-speed autobox.  The 'new' LE will be the volume seller, as 132hp-CVT combo.

I, too, hate digital gauges - especially in rental cars  :rofl:

If it were my money, I'd probably get the Corolla.  They both feel cheap, but Toyota's reputation, resale, and overall value are better.  I think the author here truly is wearing Spock ears - half human, half Vulcan - he can't fully take the driving enjoyment out of the equation, unlike the majority of the buying public, whose emotional response is limited to "aww, my car is so cute!" :hurl:

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »
Brendan, your photos are really great.

Btw, very well written comparision review too.

---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 03:46:27 pm »
If it were my money, I'd probably get the Corolla.  They both feel cheap, but Toyota's reputation, resale, and overall value are better. 
if i were in the market for compact sedan, i'd take a good look at several vehicles, but i think it would be hard to NOT pick a Corolla or a Civic...just from the sheer cost of ownership on them...a couple of my friends/colleagues have bought these cars lately and while their models lack some of the "fun features", the fact their cars are still worth $5k+ after 10 years does make me jealous.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 04:23:25 pm »
Different strokes different folks then. My legs go numb after an hour in newer Toyota seats. A big reason why I got rid of my Corolla. But Toyota is not the only one, I had leg numbing problems in the Civic, Outlander, and Orlando as well. Maybe I weigh too much? I noticed I only got the problems once my weight got over 205 lb. I was 195lb when I first got the Corolla. I'm good in my Sienna though, any Toyota older than 2002 I can drive for hours and hours on end no problems.

I test drove the 2014 Corolla for a bit, not enough to see if I still get the same problem.  but it felt like a different problem, too much weight on my butt. I do really much like the new interior though. The back is spacious, VW can kiss some of their Jetta sales goodbye.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 04:26:05 pm »
If it were my money, I'd probably get the Corolla.  They both feel cheap, but Toyota's reputation, resale, and overall value are better.  I think the author here truly is wearing Spock ears - half human, half Vulcan - he can't fully take the driving enjoyment out of the equation

But I tried SO HARD!  :)

I take your point on the seats though - note that I spend an extra week with the 'Rolla after writing this piece and there'll be a full review to follow.

Brendan, your photos are really great.

Btw, very well written comparision review too.

Thanks very much. It's mostly just luck as far as the photos go - I use a fairly basic Rebel with a standard lens, and touch things up a bit in Lightroom. I sometimes err on the side of over-processing them, but it's pretty fun. I took this shot of an XKR in Stanley Park last week and was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »

Nailed what  ???   

Although the CE is available to any Toyota dealer the default base Canadian Corolla model is the LE.  CEs are primarily export to Mexico and central America.

Heated seats in Canada manufactured Corollas for Canadian marked? It doesn't exist, bro!

2014 base LE.   Thanks to Kia and Hyundai.  :)

Default base model?   Base model is the base model.  Yes it will be job of the salesman to upsell people to the more profitable LE but most Corolla buyers will arrive looking for the base car. 

Likely they won't find any on the lot and will end up paying $5k more through the magic of clever financing.... " "so what are you looking to pay a month?".