Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla  (Read 58049 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:31:10 am »

Curb your enthusiasm ' taking a logic-only look at two redesigned compact sedan sales leaders.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mazda3 vs 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:04:14 am »
So you compare the most sophisticated Corolla with CVT and Eco mode instead the four gear auto equipped, against 3. Does this means Corolla customers adopted CVT?

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:21:21 am »
It was all but a forgone conclusion that the Mazda 3 is a superior car in nearly every aspect.
Considering the Mazda3 has a 6.1% duty added, being built in Japan the Mazda3 still beats the Corolla at most price points, incredible !!
Clearly Toyota has to re-evaluate their price point with the locally built Corolla and at least price it for Canadians for what U.S. buyers are paying for our Cambridge Ont. built cars.
The average Canadian has access to more car reviews than ever before. I have yet to see praises by any publication favouring the Corolla over the Mazda3. Demographics will soon change and maybe so will Toyota.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/japans-canadian-auto-units-want-ottawa-to-strike-free-trade-deal/article554815/
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:27:54 am »
"As someone who is physically incapable of walking past a Hot Wheels display without checking to see if there’s anything good hanging on it (it’s for my kid! I swear! I’m totally a grown-up!)"

I'm not alone!

I had my Mr. Spock ears on when I bought the Sentra - the 3 kids / 2 seats combo had to fit in the rear. That flushed out the Civic and Mazda3. At the time, the only compacts that worked were the Corolla and the Sentra. Corolla S looked best on paper, had same features / pricing than Sentra 2.0S...and then I drove the Corolla.

Today's Mazda3 still imposes compromises with the rear seat room, alas. Mazda's rep for rust will hurt sales, too, at least for awhile (a car's rep from 5 years ago will just catch the general population...who still thinks only VWs are made in Mexico).

Meanwhile, kids have grown, no more child seats, and they get bused home now. Plus, Sentra's paid for. Shopping time, no more Mr. Spock ears  :)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 09:30:30 am »
So you compare the most sophisticated Corolla with CVT and Eco mode instead the four gear auto equipped, against 3. Does this means Corolla customers adopted CVT?

Very, very few Corolla will be 4AT equipped.  Only the very base model has it.  Almost all will be CVT equipped.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:36:26 am »
The down side of the Mazda3 is the high maintenance cost. I know 2 Mazda 3 owners that had to get their engines replaced before the car was 4 years old and under 100,000km. The yearly maintenance was over   $600 not including 1 had a $1500 brake job. It was my first choice sporty with Japanese reliability but if the cost of ownership is so high I'll take a VW instead. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:41:45 am »
The down side of the Mazda3 is the high maintenance cost. I know 2 Mazda 3 owners that had to get their engines replaced before the car was 4 years old and under 100,000km. The yearly maintenance was over   $600 not including 1 had a $1500 brake job. It was my first choice sporty with Japanese reliability but if the cost of ownership is so high I'll take a VW instead.

These kind of posts always make me laugh. I had a friend......

Funny how some people have the worst luck with cars. Engines replaced, major brake jobs. I always wonder how these owners really take care of their cars.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 09:45:40 am »

....mazda's engine's based on Ford Duratec.. (not the new sky active stuff, but until couple years ago) and i haven't heard that many ford's engine failure, so your friend either didn't maintain the car or that was an outlier.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:12 am »

Funny how some people have the worst luck with cars. Engines replaced, major brake jobs. I always wonder how these owners really take care of their cars.

i know.   statistically, it's a certainty that some cars will fail within warranty period..   but when people ask "do I have to change oil?  how's that different from oil we get from gas station?" i wonder how the used cars they sell are maintained....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:53:33 am »

Agreed.  I never had huge maintenance costs on my Protege, aside from the timing belt change every 96k kms.  Makes me laugh.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:08:52 am »

Agreed.  I never had huge maintenance costs on my Protege, aside from the timing belt change every 96k kms.  Makes me laugh.
If you don't own a Mazda you go by people you know 1 engine problem I can see but two and both no help from the dealership I would think twice before I buy a Mazda. I know someone who said the Protégé was the best car they ever had but things change. Lemon aid Mazda has a high parts cost. Mazda ranked very high what I see not for long

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:22:20 am »
I test drove a new Mazda 3 with the 2.0 l engine.  I was not impressed with the power band.  It was sluggish and underpowered IMO.  But then I drive a VW Golf 2.5 with more hp and tourqe.  However, I find that even my wife's 04 Vibe seems more powerful than the 3.  It would be interesting to know the 0 t0 60 times of both tested vehicles.

Otherwise the 3 is a quiet, pleasant car to be in.  I haven't driven a new Corolla, but it's styling doesn't grab like that of the 3.  Other than the dash top display screen, I prefer the 3's interior styling too.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:26:27 am »
No comment about the LED lights on the corolla?

I really don't like that 'glued on iPad' in the 3.  How could they think that looks good?

Also that note about the digital gauges, they do suck the big one.  Are they really cheaper than mechanical gauges?  Automakers are getting so cheap, the temp gauge is disappearing from most small cars these days too.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:35:10 am »
this class of car really has come a long way. sure it's not automotive nirvana behind the wheel, but to really appreciate it, go sit in a compact/subcompact from 20 years ago. while some of them were built well, even those have some brutal driving dynamics and nvh. the thought put into these cars now is amazing.

i think we all expect a bit much from these cars. i'd almost prefer them to be crappier and cheaper... keep up with the north american car buyer mentality... start small and keep buying a bigger car as we get older and hopefully have more cash.

as for the 1500 brakes jobs and such... yeah... while i don't doubt that's what you were told by your friend(s), i would feel quite certain that there is more to that story... also... lemon aid i have found to be one of the worst automotive reads i have ever looked upon. still sometimes worth a look, but by no means base opinions solely on it. (disclaimer: i haven't read it in like 8 years... so maybe it's better now)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:36:47 am »

Very, very few Corolla will be 4AT equipped.  Only the very base model has it.  Almost all will be CVT equipped.

I think quite a few will be.  Corollas are common in base trim, more so then any other brand that I've noticed.  My guess is Corolla owners mostly just want cheap transportation and are less likely to buy expensive options.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:56 am »
  The only fly in the ointment for that beautiful Mazda is...RUST! If they haven't done anything to improve over the last 2 generations, your pretty car will have lots of brown highlights in 5-7 years.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 11:00:27 am »
It took 16 replies before the whole rust thing was brought up AGAIN. People must be getting slow around here.  ::)

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 11:18:00 am »
Aging!

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:34 am »

I think quite a few will be.  Corollas are common in base trim, more so then any other brand that I've noticed.  My guess is Corolla owners mostly just want cheap transportation and are less likely to buy expensive options.

True, but a LE with CVT is only 1200 more than an A/C-equipped base car, and the fuel-economy figures speak for themselves. It's not like Navigation, it's a mechanical advantage.

Is rust actually still a thing for Mazdas? I know old ones were problematic, but as a West Coaster, my neighbour has been daily-driving a Datsun since 1976.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 11:36:42 am »

Mechanically speaking, the Mazda is ahead on horsepower by 155 hp compared to Corolla’s 132 hp, as well as having one extra cog in the manual gearbox and two extra gears if you option an automatic transmission.

Has Mazda come up with a 7 speed manual? The base Corolla manual is 6 speed, and the 5M is history. I looked at at 2 of them last weekend and I was amazed that they even had manual Corollas on the lot.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam