Author Topic: What Do You Do With 1,200 Tonnes of Crushed Rock?  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
What Do You Do With 1,200 Tonnes of Crushed Rock?
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:42 am »

AJAC TestFest goes off-road with SUVs and CUVs.

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What Do You Do With 1,200 Tonnes of Crushed Rock?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:05 pm »
You guys should really do these tests in Alberta or BC, we have lots of offroad areas that dont require you to truck in sand and gravel to make obstacles. Plus, you can take said vehicles on mountain roads to see what they are like. Need a heavy load to test trailering capabilities, no problem, Ive got a few friends with gooseneck trailers and players choice of offroad buggies, water tanks or bobcats for weight.  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:49:14 pm »
You guys should really do these tests in Alberta or BC, we have lots of offroad areas that dont require you to truck in sand and gravel to make obstacles. Plus, you can take said vehicles on mountain roads to see what they are like. Need a heavy load to test trailering capabilities, no problem, Ive got a few friends with gooseneck trailers and players choice of offroad buggies, water tanks or bobcats for weight.  ;D

Agree 100% There are many off road areas a few hours drive north of the GTA that could facilitate the test. Groomed gravel mounds is not even close to reality  :thumbdown:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:53:14 pm »
Anymore photos? Looks like my Mazda2 could conquer that hill

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
Just seems silly to me to turn a gravel parking lot into an "offroad" course when there are countless places where nature did it for you.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:08:20 pm »

Agree 100% There are many off road areas a few hours drive north of the GTA that could facilitate the test. Groomed gravel mounds is not even close to reality  :thumbdown:
Testfest is not in Ontario Wine country by accident! Can't have those AJAC members roughing it you know. ;)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03:28 pm »
I agree with all the "pretty silly" comments. You guys couldn't have found an old gravel pit?  ::)

For that matter, where's the dirt...where's the mud?  Come to NB I'll show you an old logging road I know. ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:07:09 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »
Wow, couldn't find any snow, rocks, mud, sand or trails in all of Canada, so had to make a "trail" in a parking lot. 
Quite sad.
Was there any real testing done?
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »
AJAC strikes again!!

These guys are a joke....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »
The article only has information about the gravel.  Where's the goods on how they performed?  Went to the ajac website and it's a just a big jumble and didn't want to waste my day trying to find it there.

Maybe a link?  I only found this...

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1247667/what-do-you-do-with-1-200-tonnes-of-crushed-rock

Which is a repeat of the fact that there was a lot of gravel hauled in.

Where's the ACTUAL story?

Cripes.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:07 pm »
I wonder if the majority of the decision making membership has a day time job in the public sector.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 05:03:04 pm »
AJAC TestFest goes off-road with SUVs and CUVs.

my wife was soooo pissed because one of the roads she takes to work was closed for a few days due to "high end vehicle testing"   

she was required to take a zig zag detour
 :rofl:

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »

The trail that was built simulated what the majority of CUV/SUV buyers would run into (FYI, the Toyota RAV4 failed the trail, as its exhaust is too low and struck a rock on one of my runs).

As for taking it to another venue, its kinda hard. Niagara has the ability to accommodate all the journalists flown in, manufacturer reps, and support staff while still being handy to some more rural roads without being too far from manufacturer head offices.

For example, GM has 11 entries this year (IIRC) which means they need to bring three examples of each vehicle. That's 33 vehicles that need to be brought to TestFest. To take that many vehicles to BC, AB, or even Atlantic Canada is extremely cost prohibitive. If it is too cost prohibitive for the manufacturers, they won't show up, and there are less competitors to be judged.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
Bobcayeon would be closer to Oshawa then Niagara

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:51 pm »

The trail that was built simulated what the majority of CUV/SUV buyers would run into (FYI, the Toyota RAV4 failed the trail, as its exhaust is too low and struck a rock on one of my runs).

As for taking it to another venue, its kinda hard. Niagara has the ability to accommodate all the journalists flown in, manufacturer reps, and support staff while still being handy to some more rural roads without being too far from manufacturer head offices.

For example, GM has 11 entries this year (IIRC) which means they need to bring three examples of each vehicle. That's 33 vehicles that need to be brought to TestFest. To take that many vehicles to BC, AB, or even Atlantic Canada is extremely cost prohibitive. If it is too cost prohibitive for the manufacturers, they won't show up, and there are less competitors to be judged.

As a former CEO once said to me " for every excuse I want to hear three solutions" a great rule to follow. If the deliverable is questionable then what is the point.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 07:56:59 pm »

Testfest is not in Ontario Wine country by accident! Can't have those AJAC members roughing it you know. ;)
Railton

It's all about the wining and dining.  It's stuff like this that ruins the credibility of the ajac.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 08:51:44 pm »

Railton

It's all about the wining and dining.  It's stuff like this that ruins the credibility of the ajac.

Exactly. When the manufactures dictate the terms and conditions of the test then there is no credibility.....Zero. AJAC must set the rules and if one or two don't show up then clearly they are concerned their products won't measure up. The readers will see though that and focus on what vehicles that were there.  "X did not offer vehicles for the test as they had concerns" Print that, and grow some. If not then all AJAC will be perceived is another advertising outlet for the manufactures who buy their way in.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:53:54 pm by Snowman »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »

Railton

Exactly. When the manufactures dictate the terms and conditions of the test then there is no credibility.....Zero. AJAC must set the rules and if one or two don't show up then clearly they are concerned their products won't measure up. The readers will see though that and focus on what vehicles that were there.  "X did not offer vehicles for the test as they had concerns" Print that, and grow some. If not then all AJAC will be perceived is another advertising outlet for the manufactures who buy their way in.

Great posts, guys.   :thumbup:

AJAC is a joke.  Period.  Always has been.  Heck...even American auto websites make fun of it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:28 pm »
I think for the most part, you could shame most of them into providing vehicles wherever you wanted them.....that way you wouldnt have to build dirt berms in a parking lot for an "offroad" test  ::) I mean didnt GM just have a big truck test in Alberta?? Not saying its gotta be done here, just saying you could do it somewhere where its not obvious that its just a "lets blow smoke up the manufacturers a$$" session.....