Author Topic: Road Trip: Volkswagen's Great Canadian TDI Clean Diesel Tour  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Road Trip: Volkswagen's Great Canadian TDI Clean Diesel Tour
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:30:52 am »

Paul Williams takes a tour in a suite of TDI Volkswagens ' just for the fun of it.

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Road Trip: Volkswagen's Great Canadian TDI Clean Diesel Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
It would of been interesting if the also had a gas engine of each model in the mix

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:06:58 am »
I'd like to see Country of assembly next to all the models on all vehicles in Autos.ca
Auto start would be a cool feature for the diesels. Press button and start glow plug heat up and start up.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:21:26 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:09:06 am »
''With a key start, the driver has to wait for the glow-plug light to extinguish before cranking the engine''.  I thought that this short waiting time was not necessary since few years with the new diesel engines!  With the 2010 Golf TDI I was renting, I never paid attention to this glow-plug light....Good paper, it is always interesting to read about VW diesel!!

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:06:32 am »
Kudos for VW for finally making the TDI available on entry level Jetta/Golf Wagon.  Hopefully that carried over to the new Golf hatch when it arrives. As an FYI my current average on the 2013 2.5 golf auto I'm driving is 8.8L/100kms in all city driving

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:10:59 am »
Kudos for VW for finally making the TDI available on entry level Jetta/Golf Wagon.  Hopefully that carried over to the new Golf hatch when it arrives. As an FYI my current average on the 2013 2.5 golf auto I'm driving is 8.8L/100kms in all city driving

New Golf hatch looks nice: http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2015-volkswagen-golf-photos-and-info-news
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:15:20 am by redman »

Offline Zibhebhu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:30 am »
It is great to see more diesels becoming available here. I have recently driven around Tuscany in a diesel-powered "leisure activity vehicle", basically a reworked commercial van, in this case with a 1.6 litre Peugeot engine. For sheer lugging power combined with impressive highway performance combined with amazing fuel efficiency, diesels are just about unbeatable, so bring em on.

Offline jekelly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:30:38 pm »
it’s Volkswagen that has been and still is the go-to purveyor of affordable diesel cars,

Heeee no, a 2000$ option on a 20000$ car with an 1-2% addition on finance is not "affordable".

Thanks

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:45:52 pm »
I think that the average transaction cost of a new car in Canada is around $30,000 on the road so $20k is cheap enough.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »
Still not available on the 'real' base model Jetta, you have to step up a total of $5300 from base price Trendline to get the diesel on the Trendline+.  That being said, no one wants the base Trendline with no A/C or cruise anyway...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:19:26 pm »
When I read the title, I figured TTBob was coming to visit the rest of us...

;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:02:26 pm »
It's too bad they couldn't remove the politics of pricing when it comes to diesel.  Today it's a 15 cent premium over reg unleaded!  How can that be justified?  The pricing volatility is the keeping many potential buyers away IMO.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »
It's too bad they couldn't remove the politics of pricing when it comes to diesel.  Today it's a 15 cent premium over reg unleaded!  How can that be justified?  The pricing volatility is the keeping many potential buyers away IMO.
Because the east coast uses oil for heating , therefore less for cars

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:00 pm »

So does that mean it's less volatile the further west you go?  Does the price of propane/natural gas fluctuate as much out there?  Hard to believe it's that simple!  :-\

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »

So does that mean it's less volatile the further west you go?  Does the price of propane/natural gas fluctuate as much out there?  Hard to believe it's that simple!  :-\

Not that simple but close
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/green-driving/news-and-notes/the-great-diesel-price-conspiracy/article545429/

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/green-driving/news-and-notes/the-great-diesel-price-conspiracy/article545429/

Interesting read!  So that must mean sulfur is extracted at the diesel stage of the cracking process as I don't recall sulfur being an issue with gasoline.  The higher tax rate is what i was referring to about the politics. We know how Americans hate to pay taxes and what sells there dictates what gets sold here.  I still may take the diesel plunge myself soon, but that volatility is irritating.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »

Interesting read!  So that must mean sulfur is extracted at the diesel stage of the cracking process as I don't recall sulfur being an issue with gasoline. The higher tax rate is what i was referring to about the politics. We know how Americans hate to pay taxes and what sells there dictates what gets sold here.  I still may take the diesel plunge myself soon, but that volatility is irritating.

That happened back in 2003-05.

http://canadianfuels.ca/index_e.php?p=158

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:37 pm »

Interesting read!  So that must mean sulfur is extracted at the diesel stage of the cracking process as I don't recall sulfur being an issue with gasoline. The higher tax rate is what i was referring to about the politics. We know how Americans hate to pay taxes and what sells there dictates what gets sold here.  I still may take the diesel plunge myself soon, but that volatility is irritating.

That happened back in 2003-05.

http://canadianfuels.ca/index_e.php?p=158

Funny, I just hooked onto that link a few minutes before you posted it. Wish I had of read it BEFORE my previous post!  :) 

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:57 am »

In Canada average price of diesel through the year is the same as regular.  The cold parts of year diesel is about 10-15% more, but during summer diesel is 10-15% cheaper than regular. 

In USA is a different story where diesel is pretty much always more expensive than regular and this is the main barrier to seeing more diesels in North America.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 07:43:04 pm »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Couldn't help but take these pictures on my way back from Florida last week. 
I'm not holding my breadth as to widespread acceptance of diesels south of the border just yet...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:56:57 pm by Minou »