Author Topic: Feature: Popular Used Family Sedans at a Glance  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Popular Used Family Sedans at a Glance
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:27:20 am »

A look at some of the most popular family cars on the used market, and some important checks to make ahead of your purchase.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: Popular Used Family Sedans at a Glance
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:08:28 am »
Justin, a concise guide like this article is priceless!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:21:23 am »
The best line in this entire article is the final one. Make sure you to read right to the end if you enjoy doing this >>>> :rofl2:

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:12 am »
Great article!  For a family on a tight budget, the Impala wins hands down.  I don't own one, but did test drive them, and they really are quiet, powerful and spacious.  And you can pick them up for a song.  Repairs are cheap and safety is good.

I still shake my head when I see yet another family who always complains money is tight then buys a new crossover.  Could have saved $25k and bought a used Impala. 

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:52:49 am »
Great article!  For a family on a tight budget, the Impala wins hands down.  I don't own one, but did test drive them, and they really are quiet, powerful and spacious.  And you can pick them up for a song.  Repairs are cheap and safety is good.

I still shake my head when I see yet another family who always complains money is tight then buys a new crossover.  Could have saved $25k and bought a used Impala.

:iagree:

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:39 am »
One other sedan that should have been put into the mix is the Grand Marquis / Crown Victoria.  Sure, old school cars, but they seat 6 (with luggage space for all), get decent fuel economy, and you can buy them from old folks or at estate sales for cheap with very few kms.  You can get several hundred thousand kms out of them.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »
Good concise list of what to look for on each mode, such as the engine failure risk on the V6 Passat.

Curious as why the E-Class made the list but not the 3-series or A4? maybe there was a "4 page" limit? Or you just compensated with the computer warning on the last line....good one!

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:28:46 pm »
One other sedan that should have been put into the mix is the Grand Marquis / Crown Victoria.  Sure, old school cars, but they seat 6 (with luggage space for all), get decent fuel economy, and you can buy them from old folks or at estate sales for cheap with very few kms.  You can get several hundred thousand kms out of them.

They are too old now. There are not many on the market anyway that are not ex-police.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 01:34:19 pm »

agree as well...those Impalas, while a little vanilla (although i find them better looking than the Camry of the same era), are great cars...as well, as is common with most domestic vehicles, resale values are low, which is great if you are a buyer.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 01:46:12 pm »
I loved the last line. I'm sure all FGC's have that message programed somewhere in the message center....it's just a question of when you'll see it.  :rofl:

I think this is a great format for an article. I hope it will it be applied to other segments in the future.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:13:25 pm »
Newest German "Check engine light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6y8fc3n-mI

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 07:14:41 pm »
Newest German "Check engine light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6y8fc3n-mI

:rofl:

Would need the SS style lighening bolt runes to be totally authentic

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »

agree as well...those Impalas, while a little vanilla (although i find them better looking than the Camry of the same era), are great cars...as well, as is common with most domestic vehicles, resale values are low, which is great if you are a buyer.

A friend of mine bought one last year that was a 1yr old lease return.   ??? I think he paid around $15k!  He said it's great on gas.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:44:49 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:36 am »
I dont judge but I think this article is a bit biased over some car makers repuation for 'reliability'.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:27 am »
thanks guys, glad you enjoyed. A3 and comparables just didnt fit. e-class was arbitrary. we've got reviews elsewhere on the others. stay tuned for more categories...

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:39 am »
Too old?  Just saw a 2009 Grand Marquis loaded asking $11K with 30k kms.  They were built until 2011.  No Grands were ever police cars.

They are too old now. There are not many on the market anyway that are not ex-police.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 07:20:31 pm »
Too old?  Just saw a 2009 Grand Marquis loaded asking $11K with 30k kms.  They were built until 2011.  No Grands were ever police cars.

...but many were rentals. And renters practiced "Rockfords" on them (at least InsideLine renters did  ;D )
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 08:35:59 pm »
No Mazda6 on the list  :(

Too bad. It was their first attept at recreating the segment with hatch and wagon in addition to the sedan.