Author Topic: Subaru Puts Unloved Tribeca Out To Pasture  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Subaru Puts Unloved Tribeca Out To Pasture
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:15:44 am »

Fuji Heavy Industries will introduce replacement model will three row seating at a later date

Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Subaru Puts Unloved Tribeca Out To Pasture
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:43 am »
Subaru has the distinction of being the only company in the US market which can consistently sell
wagons but cannot sell its SUV.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:40 am »
Subaru doesn’t plan to leave the midsize SUV arena for good and will introduce a three-row midsizer at a later date.

I had heard not long ago that Subaru was going to rebadge a Tribeca from Toyota's new re-designed Highlander.   I'm going to guess this may still be the plan, but dropping the Tribeca from everyone's memory isn't a bad call.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:33 am »
 :shuffle: ...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:49 am »
The Outback has grown so much, there really wasn't much point in keeping the Tribeca. It's only distinguishing feature was the nearly unusable third row seat.

I really hope it's replacement isn't just a rebadged Highlander.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:15 am »
Oh yee of little Faith..... ;) ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:13:10 am »
We strongly considered a Tribeca, but the used selection is poor, dealers want as much as they were new and private sales were typically in rough shape.

I agree that the Outback made it redundant.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:49 am »
I agree that the Outback made it redundant.

hey Subaru........ are you listening????

maybe it's time to make the next generation Outback more wagon (less SUV), before bringing out a new Tribeca.....   after all, it used to be a real wagon

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:24 am »
I'm kind of sorry to hear that. I agree that the Tribeca wasn't the greatest as a 3 row SUV but the base 5 passenger was a pretty good  unit. My daughter's '08 has been remarkably reliable and trouble free with a spacious back seat and tons of cargo room.

As for the Outback, I think it would have been better if they'd kept it as a slightly roomier (than the previous version) wagon rather than going quite so pseudo SUV.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:08:46 am »
Not surprised.

Speaking of the Outback, I saw a lowered Outback in Pitt Meadows a few weeks ago. Looked like one pretty hot wagon. It wasn't slammed just dropped down to slightly below car height. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
Ewww....I hope its not going to be a rebadged Highlander. Never knew why this vehicle was never popular, price?? Looks?? Interior?? A buddy of mines mom had one and I have to say it was a very nice vehicle.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »
Strangely enough, there are many Tribecas in my community. Even had the odd sighting of seeing two of them following each other on a residential street. Doesn't look bad after the nose job - the early ones have you wonder what they were smoking when they approved the look.

Outback was named in the top-10 ugliest cars on the market by C&D.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »
the early ones have you wonder what they were smoking when they approved the look.

I think that first year completely killed the car.  When it first came out, there was marketing.
When it got redesigned to look acceptable (reminded my of a Chrysler grill IMO) -- the marketing seem to be non-existant and it seem to be just another ghost in the small fleet. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:04 pm »
I agree that the post nose job Tribeca's weren't bad looking at all. I think a good part of their lack of sales success (at least here in Canada) was that they were grossly overpriced. I think they came from the era when Subaru was trying to become the Japanese Volvo. I know our local dealer never stocked one (or loaded Outbacks or Legacy's for that matter). I always got the feeling he sees his market as sub 30K.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »
Subaru has the distinction of being the only company in the US market which can consistently sell

I am sorry, I don't follow.  What wagons does Subaru make?  The Outback is the closest thing to wagon, but it's pretty close to a CUV.  And when you say they can't SUVs?  What is the Forester classified as?  Maybe you mean midsize SUV?

I think you can add midsize car to that statement as well.  As the Legacy, doesn't sell very well... 

If I am not mistaken, the bestsellers are the Forester, Impreza, Outback, and XV Crosstek. 

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 01:07:41 pm »
Tribeca reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline...a good vehicle that not enough people wanted for one reason or another...weird looking...doesn't fit an existing segment nor define a new one, doesn't fit with perceived manufacturers 'knitting', etc.

Just didn't catch.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »
Tribeca reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline...a good vehicle that not enough people wanted for one reason or another...weird looking...doesn't fit an existing segment nor define a new one, doesn't fit with perceived manufacturers 'knitting', etc.

Just didn't catch.

Subaru also did some weird things with standard equipment/option packages etc. Even on the 2014 model Bluetooth and Aux music imputs aren't standard and there is still no lelescoping wheel. ::)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

I am sorry, I don't follow.  What wagons does Subaru make?  The Outback is the closest thing to wagon, but it's pretty close to a CUV.  And when you say they can't SUVs?  What is the Forester classified as?  Maybe you mean midsize SUV?

I think you can add midsize car to that statement as well.  As the Legacy, doesn't sell very well... 

If I am not mistaken, the bestsellers are the Forester, Impreza, Outback, and XV Crosstek.

Marketing departments freak out if you call them wagons but the Outback, Impreza hatch (and VX) and Forester are all wagons.  Raising a wagon a little bit does not make it a SUV. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:40:18 pm »
Aren't all CUV's raised wagons then?  the Tiguan is just a raised Golf...  It's not just limited to Subaru...  I know they don't like wagons.  But I still consider cars like the VW Golf wagon, and the 3 series touring, as wagons, the rest like the Forester are CUV's.  Most of the distinction is ride height I guess...

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »
Its too small as a 7-seater. One of the worst leg rooms in my comparison.
I don't like the LARGE jutted out centre console (even more pronounced than the Hyundai Sante Fe)
Those are the two main reasons I wouldn't get it.