Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71  (Read 21027 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 10:31:38 am »

ok i will take the salesman hat off, and say good for you for getting into new wheels...

but you cannot slam GM for not competing on price 2014 vs 2013...just cant be done, and shouldnt.

recenlty drove a Tacoma with a manual and TRD, nice little truck

Where did I slam GM on price?  I couldn't justify paying more for a 2014 in the configuration we wanted than what a 2013 is available for.  I think you misconstrued something here...  I did state it was working close to $40k with GM all in based on MSRP and even with incentives and negotiating, there was no way I would get close to $10k off on a 2014, hence why I went with a 2013 Toyota.  I was lucky to find a 2013 in the config I wanted with any manufacturer and failing that, I would have compared everybody's 2014 offering.

I merely stated that it came down to price on our purchasing decision.  Like I said before, I'm sure GM, Ford and Ram would have been more competitive had any of them had a 2013 in that configuration left.  I know the pricing for 2014s is pretty close for all the trucks, give or take a thousand.

So, I'm really lost as to where you think I am slamming GM for not matching the pricing.
ok, maybe not slam, but knock? I understand the situation you were in, and understand the purchasing decision. Made sense.

wasnt trying to come down hard, just trying to defend the fact that a 2014 cannot be reasonably expected to compete with a 2013 on price

tap tap tap
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »

ok i will take the salesman hat off, and say good for you for getting into new wheels...

but you cannot slam GM for not competing on price 2014 vs 2013...just cant be done, and shouldnt.

Where did I slam GM on price?  I couldn't justify paying more for a 2014 in the configuration we wanted than what a 2013 is available for.  I think you misconstrued something here...  I did state it was working close to $40k with GM all in based on MSRP and even with incentives and negotiating, there was no way I would get close to $10k off on a 2014, hence why I went with a 2013 Toyota.  I was lucky to find a 2013 in the config I wanted with any manufacturer and failing that, I would have compared everybody's 2014 offering.

I merely stated that it came down to price on our purchasing decision.  Like I said before, I'm sure GM, Ford and Ram would have been more competitive had any of them had a 2013 in that configuration left.  I know the pricing for 2014s is pretty close for all the trucks, give or take a thousand.

So, I'm really lost as to where you think I am slamming GM for not matching the pricing.
ok, maybe not slam, but knock? I understand the situation you were in, and understand the purchasing decision. Made sense.

wasnt trying to come down hard, just trying to defend the fact that a 2014 cannot be reasonably expected to compete with a 2013 on price

tap tap tap

No knock either on GM.  You're clearly reading something between the lines that isn't there.  I simply stated that I went for the bargain.

I obviously went for the deal.  I don't see anything there to defend.  Like I've said countless times, I'm sure if there was a 2013 to be had, GM, Ford and Ram would have been competitive.  Looking at all the 2014 prices, they all certainly are competitive at which point it boils down to which truck one likes better and suits their needs as well as what can be done with negotiating.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 12:51:12 pm »

tap tap tap

No knock either on GM.  You're clearly reading something between the lines that isn't there.  I simply stated that I went for the bargain.

I obviously went for the deal.  I don't see anything there to defend.  Like I've said countless times, I'm sure if there was a 2013 to be had, GM, Ford and Ram would have been competitive.  Looking at all the 2014 prices, they all certainly are competitive at which point it boils down to which truck one likes better and suits their needs as well as what can be done with negotiating.

Your original post stated that you bought the Toyota because the "equivalent" GM was $8-10,000 more.

He merely pointed out that the trucks weren't actually "equivalent", because of the different model years.

And then the cat fight ensued.  :)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 04:01:08 pm »
Aww, that's not a cat fight.  To have a proper debate it would have tone mentioned that a 2013 Tundra is a superior truck to a 2013 Silverado and therefore can only be compared to the 2014.  Which makes them close to equivalent. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2013, 10:03:34 pm »

tap tap tap

Your original post stated that you bought the Toyota because the "equivalent" GM was $8-10,000 more.

He merely pointed out that the trucks weren't actually "equivalent", because of the different model years.

And then the cat fight ensued.  :)

Yes, I couldn't justify paying $8000 to $10000 more for being one model year newer.  Same would apply for a 2014 Ford, Ram or Toyota.  Hence why I felt lucky to find a 2013 in the configuration that I wanted.

I will give Toyota credit.  There are some simple subtleties that you cannot see in the reviews, brochures, etc that make it a very nice truck.  Not saying that the others are bad by any means.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 05:36:30 pm »
So.  After all this, I might be back on the market.  The dealership claims that the truck didn't arrive but was heavily damaged in transport.  No other 2013s around...

Might be a Silverado 1500 after all.  Stay tuned.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2013, 03:13:11 pm »
plenty of 2013 Tundras in Ontario.
ok, some, maybe not plenty.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »
plenty of 2013 Tundras in Ontario.
ok, some, maybe not plenty.
id be surprised if there was, we are quickly running out of our 2013s...

want a crew cab? prepare to ship it from NS or BC....

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »
strange... I was on two local dealer sites last week and they both had a couple Tundras...
now they're gone!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2013, 04:53:43 pm »
strange... I was on two local dealer sites last week and they both had a couple Tundras...
now they're gone!
you are lucky if the dealerships keep their site even remotely updated, usually that is not the case...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2013, 05:31:38 pm »
I agree, dealers are pretty behind on their online inventory.  With the way shopping is changing, and more people buying used, they need to improve on that.  I can understand if the vehicle was sold that day, but a few days is not acceptable.  It should be tracked, so when sold at the dealer, it is sold online....Get with the times...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:45 pm »
I agree, dealers are pretty behind on their online inventory.  With the way shopping is changing, and more people buying used, they need to improve on that.  I can understand if the vehicle was sold that day, but a few days is not acceptable.  It should be tracked, so when sold at the dealer, it is sold online....Get with the times...
i agree, we are all linked in the Vauto, autotrader, our website, etc. so if one change is made in Vauto, it all changes automatically - that system costs some money, but catching customers before the next guy makes it worth it

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:17 am »
now they're gone!

It's the configuration more than anything - Regular Cab, 8' box 4x4 SR5.  Couldn't track one down and I doubt they are going to get one from Ontario considering I am in Alberta.

We ended up going with a 2013 F150 Regular Cab 4x4 8' box, XLT, 3.7L V6 (with limited slip, side step bars) for just under $28k all in out the door.  Again, I will say both the F150 and the Tundra rode way smoother than the 2014 Silverado, especially over harsh pavement where it almost seemed like the Silverado would get unstable.  But damn, if I got the Tundra at the price negotiated, it would have been a damn good deal for what you get as a part of the package.  Unfortunately, the best the dealer could do for a 2014 Tundra SR5 Plus (equivalent to a 2013 SR5) was $36,900 all in.  Sure, it has more  in the package than the Ford, we could not justify it for the price and how much use we will get out of it.

Northernridge

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2013, 09:29:24 am »
now they're gone!

It's the configuration more than anything - Regular Cab, 8' box 4x4 SR5.  Couldn't track one down and I doubt they are going to get one from Ontario considering I am in Alberta.

We ended up going with a 2013 F150 Regular Cab 4x4 8' box, XLT, 3.7L V6 (with limited slip, side step bars) for just under $28k all in out the door.  Again, I will say both the F150 and the Tundra rode way smoother than the 2014 Silverado, especially over harsh pavement where it almost seemed like the Silverado would get unstable.  But damn, if I got the Tundra at the price negotiated, it would have been a damn good deal for what you get as a part of the package.  Unfortunately, the best the dealer could do for a 2014 Tundra SR5 Plus (equivalent to a 2013 SR5) was $36,900 all in.  Sure, it has more  in the package than the Ford, we could not justify it for the price and how much use we will get out of it.

Well done. Check back in and let us know how that V6 works out. I test drove an F150 a while ago with the 6 and wasn't convinced that it could tow and haul as promised. I do like the idea of efficient V6s in modern pickups for light duty…if they can cut it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2013, 10:17:19 am »
now they're gone!

Wow, nicely done!! Yeah, please let us know how the V6 holds up and if its an actual viable powerplant for the truck.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2013, 10:27:19 am »
now they're gone!

Wow, nicely done!! Yeah, please let us know how the V6 holds up and if its an actual viable powerplant for the truck.

For sure.  For us, we aren't towing with it and most of our payload is pretty light (I can't see us loading the bed beyond 1000-1500 lbs) but we really need the capacity of an 8' box.  Most of our running around is in the city, with a few trips to the airport to pick up our air cargo.  I was pretty convinced after taking the 3.7L V6 for an extended test drive.  It accelerated better than the truck it replaced (2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew with the 5.9).  Even GMs 4.3L V6 accelerates pretty damn good.  The 5.0L V8 in the Ford felt really damn quick though by comparison.  The 5.7L in the Toyota felt like a rocket ship, which tells me that a V8 would have been overkill for us.  Honestly, it feels like today's V6s are yesterday's V8s and today's V8s in trucks are like yesterday's muscle cars.

That said, Ford claims a 6500 lb towing capacity and GM claims 7000 lbs for the V6s.

Pretty sure that if I regularly had to haul that much around, it would make more sense to go with a V8 as then you aren't working the powertrain as hard and probably would end up with similar fuel economy.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:30:04 am by mixmanmash »

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2013, 11:09:24 am »

compared to the 1/2 tons the Tacoma may be smaller, but compared to the previous trucks in it's class, like the Colorado, Ranger, and Dakota,the Tacoma is the largest, as it is available with the 6ft box in Crew Cab at 221 inches, not exactly little.

while the Tacoma may seem large when looking at some other SUV options and it looks bigger than the old Colorado / Ranger / Dakota - does trucks haven't changed much.   
While the Tacoma has undergone mostly minor changes, it's only when you see a new one next to a decade old one that would realize how much it's blown up.   However, if you ever get a chance to see any of the RAMs / F-150 / GM / Chev beside a new Tacoma... you really see how much bigger those trucks are!!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2013, 11:13:54 am »

compared to the 1/2 tons the Tacoma may be smaller, but compared to the previous trucks in it's class, like the Colorado, Ranger, and Dakota,the Tacoma is the largest, as it is available with the 6ft box in Crew Cab at 221 inches, not exactly little.

while the Tacoma may seem large when looking at some other SUV options and it looks bigger than the old Colorado / Ranger / Dakota - does trucks haven't changed much.   
While the Tacoma has undergone mostly minor changes, it's only when you see a new one next to a decade old one that would realize how much it's blown up.   However, if you ever get a chance to see any of the RAMs / F-150 / GM / Chev beside a new Tacoma... you really see how much bigger those trucks are!!!

I saw that quite a bit, a buddy of mine had a Tacoma and another had a Frontier, but crew cabs with short boxes. Not really that much smaller than a 1/2 ton truck and really, where they are smaller is where it counts. The cabs are very tiny and cramped and the "short box" on a crew is ridiculously tiny, pair that with horrid mileage I dont see any benefit to one of these smaller trucks.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »
you can take a turn like johngenx in his Miata...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2013, 07:39:43 pm »

I saw that quite a bit, a buddy of mine had a Tacoma and another had a Frontier, but crew cabs with short boxes. Not really that much smaller than a 1/2 ton truck and really, where they are smaller is where it counts. The cabs are very tiny and cramped and the "short box" on a crew is ridiculously tiny, pair that with horrid mileage I dont see any benefit to one of these smaller trucks.

I felt the same when i test drove a tacoma a few years back.  I like it a lot, but unfortunately i just don't fit inside very well.  I found it very cramped inside!