Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71  (Read 21023 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 05:18:30 pm »
I test drove a 2014 Silverado 2WT Regular Cab Long Box.  We need a new truck a work since our previous 2003 Dodge Ram was a write off.  Since we don't tow, don't need a crazy amount of payload, the 4.3 would be perfect since it will mostly be used around the city.  Let me tell you, the 4.3 definitely has more than ample oomph.  The interior was decent for a work truck.  The truck drove nice, but the rear end did get unsettled over rougher pavement.

We ended up buying a 2013 Tundra SR5 regular cab long box with the 5.7L.  Why?  Well from a fuel economy stand point, it won't hurt us much more given we only put 10k kms a year on our truck.  Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado.  Third, the price.  With current incentives and some negotiating, we got the truck for $30k even, all in, out the door.  An equivalent Silverado would have been closer to $40k with taxes before any incentives ($1 - $2k).  I don't think they would have considered knocking off $8k - $10k on this truck to get to close to Toyota's price.
What the fack, one whole post about buying a truck, you missed out on a 100 page thread , and all the knowledge we could given you, sooo disappointed  ::) :nono:

Meh, he ended up with the right truck anyway... ;) ;D :P

Swing and a miss......  ;D
2013, vs 2014. Not a good comparison, and of course Toyota is going to take off 8k for last year's model to compete with an all new GM truck. What would a 2014 Toyota have cost you? That is the question...

I just sold a 2013 2wd reg cab to a customer, was 30 out the door too...so the price is close, if you COMPARE SAME MODEL YEAR VEHICLES

meh...
Money on the hood sells
The GM dealer should have give him numbers on a # 2013

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 05:28:52 pm »
I test drove a 2014 Silverado 2WT Regular Cab Long Box.  We need a new truck a work since our previous 2003 Dodge Ram was a write off.  Since we don't tow, don't need a crazy amount of payload, the 4.3 would be perfect since it will mostly be used around the city.  Let me tell you, the 4.3 definitely has more than ample oomph.  The interior was decent for a work truck.  The truck drove nice, but the rear end did get unsettled over rougher pavement.

We ended up buying a 2013 Tundra SR5 regular cab long box with the 5.7L.  Why?  Well from a fuel economy stand point, it won't hurt us much more given we only put 10k kms a year on our truck.  Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado.  Third, the price.  With current incentives and some negotiating, we got the truck for $30k even, all in, out the door.  An equivalent Silverado would have been closer to $40k with taxes before any incentives ($1 - $2k).  I don't think they would have considered knocking off $8k - $10k on this truck to get to close to Toyota's price.
What the fack, one whole post about buying a truck, you missed out on a 100 page thread , and all the knowledge we could given you, sooo disappointed  ::) :nono:

2013, vs 2014. Not a good comparison, and of course Toyota is going to take off 8k for last year's model to compete with an all new GM truck. What would a 2014 Toyota have cost you? That is the question...

I just sold a 2013 2wd reg cab to a customer, was 30 out the door too...so the price is close, if you COMPARE SAME MODEL YEAR VEHICLES

meh...

I wasn't talking in reference to money  :P ;D.  Take off your salesman hat for a minute and try and smile at a joke.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 05:37:29 pm »

I

meh...

Is the Tundra all new this year too?   If not then there won't be huge discounts based only on the year end. GM dealers will be bending over backwards to move out leftover 2013 models. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »
Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado. 

Toyota must have done something with the suspension, because thats one of the things I don't like about my truck, is the rough ride and tendency to get unsettled over washboard.  The suspension is very stiff, maybe due to the TRD package that mine has.  Good to hear either way that the Tundra is better riding now than it used to be.

The truck we bought does not have TRD suspension.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »

meh...

Ours is 4x4, with trailer towing (standard on Toyota), wheel well liners (standard - optional on GM), etc.

Why are people so butthurt?  It came down to price.  Man, truck people must be the most loyal to the brand people I have ever met.  Sometimes it's almost to the point where it is pigheaded.

Yes, I will say GM has improved the drivetrain and powertrain in a huge way.  If I was looking at all 2014s, I likely would have ended up with a 2014 Silverado with the 4.3.  I'm sure I would have gotten a decent price on it.

Remember, this is a work truck, being used by many people at our shop.  It's going to get banged up, and it will mostly only be used in town (low mileage).  Hence why it came down to the dollars.

I couldn't find a regular cab, long box, 4x4 in a 2013 with GM, Ford or Ram.  None of the dealers had any left as this configuration is commonly used only for fleet, or so they tell me.  I tend to believe them on this since it is Alberta and most of the people want a larger cab and have less of a need for a long box.  If I could have found one, it likely would have been a very competitive price.  So with a 2014, it was working out much higher whether I looked at a GM, Ford or Ram.

And yes, a 2014 Toyota was $38,600 equivalently loaded to the truck we bought, out the door price.  Still cheaper than GM if you compare 100% apples to apples.  Of course, that is before you negotiate.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:57:47 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 10:51:42 pm »

I

meh...

Is the Tundra all new this year too?   If not then there won't be huge discounts based only on the year end. GM dealers will be bending over backwards to move out leftover 2013 models.

Tundra is refreshed for 2014, hence the discount.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:53 am »

meh...

Ours is 4x4, with trailer towing (standard on Toyota), wheel well liners (standard - optional on GM), etc.

Why are people so butthurt?  It came down to price.  Man, truck people must be the most loyal to the brand people I have ever met.  Sometimes it's almost to the point where it is pigheaded.

Yes, I will say GM has improved the drivetrain and powertrain in a huge way.  If I was looking at all 2014s, I likely would have ended up with a 2014 Silverado with the 4.3.  I'm sure I would have gotten a decent price on it.

Remember, this is a work truck, being used by many people at our shop.  It's going to get banged up, and it will mostly only be used in town (low mileage).  Hence why it came down to the dollars.

I couldn't find a regular cab, long box, 4x4 in a 2013 with GM, Ford or Ram.  None of the dealers had any left as this configuration is commonly used only for fleet, or so they tell me.  I tend to believe them on this since it is Alberta and most of the people want a larger cab and have less of a need for a long box.  If I could have found one, it likely would have been a very competitive price.  So with a 2014, it was working out much higher whether I looked at a GM, Ford or Ram.

And yes, a 2014 Toyota was $38,600 equivalently loaded to the truck we bought, out the door price.  Still cheaper than GM if you compare 100% apples to apples.  Of course, that is before you negotiate.
People butthurt? There was only one would butthurt, the rest are upset because you left the peanut gallery out of the buying process
I still think you should got Chevy 3500hd with crewcab , duels, Duramax® 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 and GM-exclusive Allison® six-speed automatic transmission  ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 08:02:53 am »

meh...

People butthurt? There was only one would butthurt, the rest are upset because you left the peanut gallery out of the buying process
I still think you should got Chevy 3500hd with crewcab , duels, Duramax® 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 and GM-exclusive Allison® six-speed automatic transmission  ;D

I think you are right lol!  I made a huge mistake.  I need the dually, diesel, crewcab since it will never have more than 2 sitting in the truck, almost never tow or tow very light loads and will regularly be moving stuff in the bed that is 8 feet long, and not very heavy.  Heck, this is Alberta after all, where a lot of people who drive trucks don't really need them and/or don't use them for their intended purpose.

Huge mistake!  Crap.

Anybody want to buy an almost new Tundra?  Selling for $31k.  Need money to go to a 1 ton chev...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:24 am »
ok i will take the salesman hat off, and say good for you for getting into new wheels...

but you cannot slam GM for not competing on price 2014 vs 2013...just cant be done, and shouldnt.

recenlty drove a Tacoma with a manual and TRD, nice little truck
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2013, 09:36:23 am »
ok i will take the salesman hat off, and say good for you for getting into new wheels...

but you cannot slam GM for not competing on price 2014 vs 2013...just cant be done, and shouldnt.

compared to the 1/2 tons the Tacoma may be smaller, but compared to the previous trucks in it's class, like the Colorado, Ranger, and Dakota,the Tacoma is the largest, as it is available with the 6ft box in Crew Cab at 221 inches, not exactly little.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013, 09:40:38 am »

compared to the 1/2 tons the Tacoma may be smaller, but compared to the previous trucks in it's class, like the Colorado, Ranger, and Dakota,the Tacoma is the largest, as it is available with the 6ft box in Crew Cab at 221 inches, not exactly little.
compared to the 2500 diesels I have been dealing with lately, and even the 2014 half tons, yes...it is little

all relative

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2013, 10:22:54 am »
I guess the Spark in your showroom next to the Impala looks like a dinky toy... :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »
I guess the Spark in your showroom next to the Impala looks like a dinky toy... :rofl2:
it certainly does...which is why there are none in the showroom, and it is on the opposite side of the lot

what a useless car...and that is coming from a GM salesman

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2013, 02:04:07 pm »
heh.. i think many one here think that because we sell a certain brand we are in love with everything they do/make...

i can assure you... we don't!

i don't think the guys at the other lots were lying to you about not much 13 stock left in that configuration... for the lot, those are early year orders and we all hope to god they are gone by the end of summer. great deals, but they will be a great deal on the next years model soon, so you don't want to risk getting stuck with a year old model for the same price as new.

anywho, nice lookin trucks the gm brothers... chaos, how much is on the hood right now on the 14's? basically, the one tested, whats the realistic selling price?
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2013, 02:52:48 pm »
it certainly does...which is why there are none in the showroom, and it is on the opposite side of the lot

what a useless car...and that is coming from a GM salesman

How's it useless?  I have a coworker that recently bought one and for the price it's a clever little car.  I didn't get a chance to drive it but sitting in it it has lots of space, cheerful style (like the bit of colour inside and the gauges) and the shifter and clutch seem very light and easy to use.  Should make a great city car for $12K.

Bet it's more fun to drive around town then the Impala.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 02:59:40 pm »
though we sell everything, we are still car guys who have our biases and preferences when it comes to cars... i'm sure the useless comment is just his personal thoughts on the car and/or class of car.

guess i shouldn't put words in your mouth... my bad.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2013, 03:46:49 pm »
though we sell everything, we are still car guys who have our biases and preferences when it comes to cars... i'm sure the useless comment is just his personal thoughts on the car and/or class of car.

yep, my sentiments, but thanks for the consideration ;)

first, no power at all. It truly is gutless. Second, style is not good, IMO. Third, nowhere can you get one for 12k. Most are in the 15k range, and that is for a lower end model. Hight teens out the door. Might as well get a Sonic, so much better car in every single way, and only about 1000 more in most cases.

and tooscoops, 14s now have about 2500-4k on the hood right now. Depending on config. So mid-high 20s for a 2wd regular cab, for example. Crew cab w decent options are in the low to mid 40s. Can be more specific on Mon if you like...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:53:01 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2013, 05:19:15 pm »

first, no power at all. It truly is gutless. Second, style is not good, IMO. Third, nowhere can you get one for 12k. Most are in the 15k range, and that is for a lower end model. Hight teens out the door. Might as well get a Sonic, so much better car in every single way, and only about 1000 more in most cases.

and tooscoops, 14s now have about 2500-4k on the hood right now. Depending on config. So mid-high 20s for a 2wd regular cab, for example. Crew cab w decent options are in the low to mid 40s. Can be more specific on Mon if you like...

Haven't driven one so I can't comment on power but I think the look works better on the Spark then the Sonic.  She told me she paid just over 12K before taxes and the usual lame fees (but you pay those on all cars).  According to the GM web site the Spark LS starts at $11.9K while the Sonic hatch starts at $15.6K.  If the dealers won't stock a Spark under $15K then they likely won't stock a Sonic under $20K but who knows.

Even then you're stuck with the 1.8, not the turbo 1.4 and you spend way more on gas then with the Spark.

Nice upsell attempt though.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2013, 06:46:01 pm »

Haven't driven one so I can't comment on power but I think the look works better on the Spark then the Sonic.  She told me she paid just over 12K before taxes and the usual lame fees (but you pay those on all cars).  According to the GM web site the Spark LS starts at $11.9K while the Sonic hatch starts at $15.6K.  If the dealers won't stock a Spark under $15K then they likely won't stock a Sonic under $20K but who knows.

Even then you're stuck with the 1.8, not the turbo 1.4 and you spend way more on gas then with the Spark.

Nice upsell attempt though.
I am just telling you what actually happens.

The power thing is really a concern. Yes, it might be a good runabout. But if you do any highway driving at all, it is not the car you want. It is woefully underpowered. I am not saying it needs 500hp, but over 100 would be nice for those passing/merging times. The Spark is downright dangerous with the lazy automatic and the 80hp engine...

the price differential is quite small after essential options on the Spark are taken [auto/ac/pwr grp etc.] and with a Sonic with those options as well. We stock "essentially" equipped Sparks, and more "modestly" equipped Sonics = the price fairly evens out.

Usually more incentives with the Sonic too, and bigger rebates. But dont take my word for it, look it up or ask a dealer... ;)

Looks are subjective, and I understand what some see in the Spark. Just not for me.

not upselling at all - it is reality. But my shop is in suburbia, where Sonics make more sense. If my shop was in downtown TO, might be a different story.

And as for gas mileage, dont think you will be saving more than a few pennies with the Spark - the two get very close real world mileage numbers...both very very good. And they even out because you have to floor it in the Spark to get anywhere without becoming a danger to those behind you.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »

Where did I slam GM on price?  I couldn't justify paying more for a 2014 in the configuration we wanted than what a 2013 is available for.  I think you misconstrued something here...  I did state it was working close to $40k with GM all in based on MSRP and even with incentives and negotiating, there was no way I would get close to $10k off on a 2014, hence why I went with a 2013 Toyota.  I was lucky to find a 2013 in the config I wanted with any manufacturer and failing that, I would have compared everybody's 2014 offering.

I merely stated that it came down to price on our purchasing decision.  Like I said before, I'm sure GM, Ford and Ram would have been more competitive had any of them had a 2013 in that configuration left.  I know the pricing for 2014s is pretty close for all the trucks, give or take a thousand.

So, I'm really lost as to where you think I am slamming GM for not matching the pricing.