Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71  (Read 21018 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 06:10:56 pm »
What moves F-150, lease rates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »
Thought I read somewhere else they had a 150+ day supply on lots.  Is there a website for that?  Maybe not the same here...but that's what, total annual sales in Canada anyway?  ;D

Our numbers always look small, but the reality is we outsell the US on trucks per-capita (assuming a straight 10X increase in population).  Interesting.

US sales of Chevy's down 10%, Sierra down, in Canada, Sierra up almost 10% and Chevy down 5%...Dodge posting phenomenal numbers considering...j/k, nice truck.  We def like our Dodge's more than they do!

that graphic shows that the Chevy and GMC (and Ford and Ram) are both up 20+% on the year - one month is just one month... those are still lights-out numbers.

every carmaker would wish for growth numbers like that, but it's most impressive for the Ford, which doesn't have as recent a significant refresh as Ram and GM. Can't wait to see how much the diesel will help Ram... everyone is watching that.

Also to add GM has not broke out the sales of the new 2014's vs the 2013's on their monthly data.

GM was keeping a high inventory of 2013's intentionally for a while as it took over 8 weeks to retool the three assembly plants that make the Silverado and Sierra.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 06:59:58 pm »
So apparently the housing market is trending toward smaller, more sensible houses. People are slowing ditching the McMansions.

Wondering if this trend will happen with regard to pick up trucks?

You dont need a 5000sq/ft home, but if you work in an industry that you need to haul large things, over bad terrain, haul trailers then youre kind of needing a pickup. All of the people I know that have a truck, have one because they need one. Maybe you should be focusing your question at the mid life crisis mobiles, Porsche/Ferrari/Corvette crowd, because truly those vehicles serve no practical application.....or how about the guy driving a BMW 760iL or a Merc S65 to work, come on, you would be much happier in an Accent.

Perhaps, but I still see shades of " See the all new lineup for Nineteen Fifty Nine!  Its deja vu all over again.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
The local dealers just started promoting the 14's near the end of September. My dealer had them at the very back of the lot out of sight untill then. I think they wanted to move the huge stash of 13's. Now all the GM dealers have the new trucks in the front row.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 10:36:02 pm »
What moves F-150, lease rates

Hell with those lease rates that they get in the US, I would have taken the plunge long ago, even though I prefer the midsize, as they are more than enough for my needs (don't think I will need to tow more than 5000lbs), and the Tacoma, is almost the same size as an older F-150 (like 2000). 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 11:28:56 am »
Hell with those lease rates that they get in the US, I would have taken the plunge long ago, even though I prefer the midsize, as they are more than enough for my needs (don't think I will need to tow more than 5000lbs), and the Tacoma, is almost the same size as an older F-150 (like 2000).

agreed.  and while the Tacoma is almost the same as older full size trucks, the new full size are still quite a bit bigger than the Tacoma.   The fuel economy numbers keep getting better on the full size and big discounts keep people buying.   While i don't want a truck that big, I can see why some make the move to the full size.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »
I'm going to wait for the 6.2's to hit the lots in late December. 420 hp 450 tq with very similar fuel economy as the 5.3. Just can't decide between the GMC or Chevy styling wise.....I really like them both. I wish the Chevy had a chromed down all terrain package like the GM does.

Those dechromed GMCs look awesome. Just saw one at lunch and I think it's the first time I've preferred the look of the Sierra over the Silverado.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »
I'm going to wait for the 6.2's to hit the lots in late December. 420 hp 450 tq with very similar fuel economy as the 5.3. Just can't decide between the GMC or Chevy styling wise.....I really like them both. I wish the Chevy had a chromed down all terrain package like the GM does.

Those dechromed GMCs look awesome. Just saw one at lunch and I think it's the first time I've preferred the look of the Sierra over the Silverado.

I agree, they look amazing with the all terrain package. This is the combo I want with the 6.2.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 03:04:30 pm »
^^^ that's the one I seen as well.  Only one that looks good (IMO)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08:34 am »
I test drove a 2014 Silverado 2WT Regular Cab Long Box.  We need a new truck a work since our previous 2003 Dodge Ram was a write off.  Since we don't tow, don't need a crazy amount of payload, the 4.3 would be perfect since it will mostly be used around the city.  Let me tell you, the 4.3 definitely has more than ample oomph.  The interior was decent for a work truck.  The truck drove nice, but the rear end did get unsettled over rougher pavement.

We ended up buying a 2013 Tundra SR5 regular cab long box with the 5.7L.  Why?  Well from a fuel economy stand point, it won't hurt us much more given we only put 10k kms a year on our truck.  Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado.  Third, the price.  With current incentives and some negotiating, we got the truck for $30k even, all in, out the door.  An equivalent Silverado would have been closer to $40k with taxes before any incentives ($1 - $2k).  I don't think they would have considered knocking off $8k - $10k on this truck to get to close to Toyota's price.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 09:11:47 am »
I test drove a 2014 Silverado 2WT Regular Cab Long Box.  We need a new truck a work since our previous 2003 Dodge Ram was a write off.  Since we don't tow, don't need a crazy amount of payload, the 4.3 would be perfect since it will mostly be used around the city.  Let me tell you, the 4.3 definitely has more than ample oomph.  The interior was decent for a work truck.  The truck drove nice, but the rear end did get unsettled over rougher pavement.

We ended up buying a 2013 Tundra SR5 regular cab long box with the 5.7L.  Why?  Well from a fuel economy stand point, it won't hurt us much more given we only put 10k kms a year on our truck.  Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado.  Third, the price.  With current incentives and some negotiating, we got the truck for $30k even, all in, out the door.  An equivalent Silverado would have been closer to $40k with taxes before any incentives ($1 - $2k).  I don't think they would have considered knocking off $8k - $10k on this truck to get to close to Toyota's price.

:thumbup:  No-brainer there!  Very good price for sure!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:43 am »
Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado. 

Toyota must have done something with the suspension, because thats one of the things I don't like about my truck, is the rough ride and tendency to get unsettled over washboard.  The suspension is very stiff, maybe due to the TRD package that mine has.  Good to hear either way that the Tundra is better riding now than it used to be.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Northernridge

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:06 am »
Second, over the same pavement, the truck felt way more settled and rode better than the 2014 Silverado. 

Toyota must have done something with the suspension, because thats one of the things I don't like about my truck, is the rough ride and tendency to get unsettled over washboard.  The suspension is very stiff, maybe due to the TRD package that mine has.  Good to hear either way that the Tundra is better riding now than it used to be.

My 2011 Sierra was brutal on washboard until I changed the rear shocks. Now it's completely liveable.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 12:34:44 pm »
The factory shocks suck big time on gravel. Our Suburban was terrible on washboard too, a set of rancho shocks smoothed it right out.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 03:29:25 pm »

What the fack, one whole post about buying a truck, you missed out on a 100 page thread , and all the knowledge we could given you, sooo disappointed  ::) :nono:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 03:34:12 pm »

What the fack, one whole post about buying a truck, you missed out on a 100 page thread , and all the knowledge we could given you, sooo disappointed  ::) :nono:

AB if you hadnt pointed that out, I would have totally missed it...... congrats I guess...
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 04:39:47 pm »

Meh, he ended up with the right truck anyway... ;) ;D :P

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »

Swing and a miss......  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »

What he miss was really,  all the (_e=mc2_) replies  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »

2013, vs 2014. Not a good comparison, and of course Toyota is going to take off 8k for last year's model to compete with an all new GM truck. What would a 2014 Toyota have cost you? That is the question...

I just sold a 2013 2wd reg cab to a customer, was 30 out the door too...so the price is close, if you COMPARE SAME MODEL YEAR VEHICLES

meh...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.