Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Cadillac CTS  (Read 8668 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2014 Cadillac CTS
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »
Resale isn't an issue.

Take a base 2009 CTS ($39990) and BMW 528i ($56200).

The average Black Book currently shows them worth the same.
Even if you had stepped up to the 535iX ($68k new), it currently black booked at $30k.

You are comparing the old CTS to the 5 -series. This CTS iteration has been moved upmarket and won't start at $39k - more like 55k in line with 5-series and will take a major hit in depreciation, more so than the competition.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 03:32:56 pm »
Resale isn't an issue.

Even if you had stepped up to the 535iX ($68k new), it currently black booked at $30k.

You are comparing the old CTS to the 5 -series. This CTS iteration has been moved upmarket and won't start at $39k - more like 55k in line with 5-series and will take a major hit in depreciation, more so than the competition.

Well the last one, even with its faults, depreciated less than the BMW, so what are you basing your assumption on?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 03:57:00 pm »
Resale isn't an issue.

Well the last one, even with its faults, depreciated less than the BMW, so what are you basing your assumption on?

You are comparing a car from a lower price bracket to a more expensive car. The more expensive car will depreciate more over the same period of time. 3-series will depreciate less than the 5-series which will depreciate less than the 7-series. Sorry I have to explain this.
The '09 CTS was a tweener - bigger than the 3-series in exterior dimensions but way smaller than the 5-series in exterior and even smaller on the inside. This new CTS is significantly larger than the previous one and going head-to-head with the middle-sized competition in all aspects. The base model pricing will start WAY higher than the previous model and thus it is bound to depreciate more, simple math.

I do dig the looks of the new CTS. It looks akin to the previous generation 5-series to my eye but more modern which is a good thing. But it will take more than competitive quality and competitive price for GM to move them in significant quantities in Canada. Caddy needs a few more years and a few more iterations to be a legit luxo brand again. ATS is living proof to that. May be a better handling car than the 3-series but rarely ends up on the top of the shopping list for most people. The new IS from Lexus beats it in most respects other than maybe full-out handling.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »
Resale isn't an issue.

You are comparing a car from a lower price bracket to a more expensive car. The more expensive car will depreciate more over the same period of time. 3-series will depreciate less than the 5-series which will depreciate less than the 7-series. Sorry I have to explain this.
The '09 CTS was a tweener - bigger than the 3-series in exterior dimensions but way smaller than the 5-series in exterior and even smaller on the inside. This new CTS is significantly larger than the previous one and going head-to-head with the middle-sized competition in all aspects. The base model pricing will start WAY higher than the previous model and thus it is bound to depreciate more, simple math.

I do dig the looks of the new CTS. It looks akin to the previous generation 5-series to my eye but more modern which is a good thing. But it will take more than competitive quality and competitive price for GM to move them in significant quantities in Canada. Caddy needs a few more years and a few more iterations to be a legit luxo brand again. ATS is living proof to that. May be a better handling car than the 3-series but rarely ends up on the top of the shopping list for most people. The new IS from Lexus beats it in most respects other than maybe full-out handling.

Still wrong. The 328i was $39900 in 2009, identical to the CTS base price. Black book gives it an average retail of $20380, $1k less than the average for the CTS.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 11:23:11 pm »
Odd that some people, many of them car nuts, criticize environmentalists for being "emotional", yet fancy cars often are marketed with phrases such as: "“The vision is to create the world’s most dramatic and emotional luxury brand.”"  So is emotional good or bad?  I dunno any more.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:56 pm »
Odd that some people, many of them car nuts, criticize environmentalists for being "emotional", yet fancy cars often are marketed with phrases such as: "“The vision is to create the world’s most dramatic and emotional luxury brand.”"  So is emotional good or bad?  I dunno any more.

Depends.  I don't usually see emotional car designers chaining themselves to trees......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 07:56:38 am »
Really like the looks of this.
Issue for me appears to be the same as the '13 I sat in... namely the seats.  They are designed for someone about 250 lbs, which I am nowhere near.
This picture looks like the 2014 is no different.

Get the adjustable side bolster seats :)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:21 am »

Depends.  I don't usually see emotional car designers chaining themselves to trees......

I think we need to start a new trend

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:04 am »
I drove the Vsport and the regular 3.6. While the regular V6 is just ok, the VSport really is something special, minus Cadillac love of a small back seat.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 12:04:42 am »
I will have to wait to see it in flesh but I am not a big fan of the exterior design. The added length is mostly in the rear end, not in the wheelbase, and the design is quite a bit less balanced and less sporty than the current CTS IMO.

The new design does not make me curious to visit a Caddy dealer... Mechanically, there is no significant improvement for the 3.6L AWD...