5 (9.8%)
Summer tires on nice rims and black steel wheels with snow tires
19 (37.3%)
Nice rims for both sets
22 (43.1%)
heading south, don't care.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Winters coming, pop quiz.. what do you do?  (Read 15238 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Winters coming, pop quiz.. what do you do?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 08:53:50 am »
Alloy wheels are subject to pitting corrosion due to salt though, and get damaged more easily if you hit say a curb hidden in the snow.

In before someone says salt and snow in Vancouver?

All this talk about alloys in the winter and most Edmontonians drive around dirt caked cars in the winter.

Northernridge

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
You won't impress hillbillies, deer or farmers in central Manitoba with winter alloys on a pickup, plus no one will even see them...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:45 am »
I consider black steelies a Canadian badge of honour.

I consider them crap.  For me OEM alloys = Winter wheels.

the other way around for me.   ;D  i don't want to get staggered sized winter tires... so aftermarket 8x18 for winter.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:30 am »
i don't have snows on mine.  Didn't bother spending the money since we only plan to have it for the 4 year lease.

But my wife's car gets the snow tires.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:50 am »
You won't impress hillbillies, deer or farmers in central Manitoba with winter alloys on a pickup, plus no one will even see them...

;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 10:25:06 am »
I have two sets of the oem alloys for summer and winter for the Tundra.  I got a hell of a deal on a set on kijiji, so I couldn't pass them up.  The CR-V has the cheap LX model steelies for winter.  I regret buying those, they look like a**.  Wish I would have went with a set of alloys.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:21 am »
At least put caps on the black steelies.   No air leaks from alloy corrosions.   

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 11:18:27 am »
Maaaaybe there's an argument for steelies in Alberta, but I've never had an issue with alloys in winter here in Ontario.  And we do still get a sh!tload of salt on our roads which is the real culprit for corrosion.

I just can't fathom why people would spend so much money on a car and then choose to save $100 with steelies and have it look like crap for at least 30% of their ownership.  You can buy cheapo alloys for so little, it's a ridiculous decision.

If you're driving a pickup truck in Fort McMurray, fine, enjoy your steel.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:18 am »
I spent 9 years in Alberta.  In my experience, the salting/sanding practices on highways are harsher on vehicles in Saskatchewan  ;D.  YMMV.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 11:27:20 am »
Alloy wheels are subject to pitting corrosion due to salt though, and get damaged more easily if you hit say a curb hidden in the snow.

^This

I don't have to drive far in winter to see a flat. It's almost always a car with alloys.

It was the same back home.

I've used black steelies in winter for a long, long time. Once every 4-5 winters, get the wire brush out and a rattle can and you're back in business. You can't do that with alloys. Moisture gets caught under the urethane topcoat, and progresses under it. One or two winters and alloys look like crap.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:21 am »
I'm hoping more, "Nice rims for both sets".  We're supposed to be car people FFS.

:P

Same with the steelie option.  I use silver steelies in the winter.  To them, I add silver wheel covers.

Silver is cool.  Black blows, unless you are law enforcement.   :cp2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:31 am »
My vote went to steelies when I bought my Volt her winter shoes last year...

My Saturn 2000 SW2 had the same benefit, pictured here May 2013 after the steelies removed

My garaged Saturn 2001 SW2 doesn't need any

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:08:44 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 12:23:39 pm »
This is a picture of my 1999 Civic, taken before I sold it in the spring of 2010. Note the alloy wheels (OE Acura). Those were my winter alloys and were on the car for nine Alberta winters.

I never had any issues with corrosion, flats or slow leaks, and if you zoom in on the picture, I believe you will see that the finish still looks just fine. 1,000x better than black steelies, anyway. :)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:23 pm »
Here is a picture from an older thread:

Silver steel rims with silver covers.  Way cool.

They will be going on the car in about three to four weeks.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
This is a picture of my 1999 Civic, taken before I sold it in the spring of 2010. Note the alloy wheels (OE Acura). Those were my winter alloys and were on the car for nine Alberta winters.

I never had any issues with corrosion, flats or slow leaks, and if you zoom in on the picture, I believe you will see that the finish still looks just fine. 1,000x better than black steelies, anyway. :)

Anything can be done given enough effort and resources.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 01:05:20 pm »
I wonder how the Sacchi winter alloys that Canadian Tire sells holds up to winter conditions. Costco has winter alloy wheels now too.

I think a good application of sealant will help keep OE alloy wheels in mint condition through the winter, if the winters are not too harsh.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:45 pm »

LOL. I'm laughing because I am definitely not obsessive about car care! (Well, the cosmetic stuff. Mechanical is different)

In the ten years I owned that car, I waxed it exactly once. I never washed it by hand, but did take it to either the coin op wash or the touchless drive-through a couple of times a week in the winter.

Same with the GTI: I bought a can of wax and some fancy applicator pads when the car was new, thinking I should get off to a good start. 3 1/2 years later, and the wax is still sitting, unopened, in the garage.  ;)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 01:18:41 pm »

LOL. I'm laughing because I am definitely not obsessive about car care! (Well, the cosmetic stuff. Mechanical is different)

In the ten years I owned that car, I waxed it exactly once. I never washed it by hand, but did take it to either the coin op wash or the touchless drive-through a couple of times a week in the winter.

Same with the GTI: I bought a can of wax and some fancy applicator pads when the car was new, thinking I should get off to a good start. 3 1/2 years later, and the wax is still sitting, unopened, in the garage.  ;)

;D I can relate!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 01:26:39 pm »
I went alloys for winter.  At least show your car in real winter conditions.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »

My last to cars I was crazy with car care.
they didn't go 2 weeks without a good wash.  In the winter, I would presure wash the salt off everything Sunday night.   I did the 3 stage wash, prep and wax twice a year.   I had grand plans to keeping them for a long time.... but stuff happened and I didn't

the Matrix... i've washed it once this year.