Author Topic: The Quick and The Dad(s): 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT  (Read 10063 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
The Quick and The Dad(s): 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:28:54 am »

The accelerator on this thing isn't inscribed with 'Hulk Smash!' ' but it should be.

Read More...

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
Re: The Quick and The Dad(s): 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
I think it looks better and more menacing than any of the M or AMG offerings...   Not to mention the appeal in price... Smart buy if you are into v8 high performance suv's.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:53 am »
i want one.   this is like the ultimate representation of irresponsibility of adulthood.

some might say, 'how's this different from Hummer H2?' and I would say 'it's more understated, more luxurious, more powerful and less "I am, too, a douchebag".

if i could afford gas, i would rock one 4 yrs from now.   ;D ;D ;D

but i can't.   :P

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:38 am »
Nice winter wheels if $$ were no issue. Great pictures btw.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
This is a great buddy's-vehicle-to-borrow. Hat's off to everybody that buys one.

How much is that C7 again?

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:15:45 am »
This is a great buddy's-vehicle-to-borrow. Hat's off to everybody that buys one.

Good point. 

It's interesting.  I think this SRT is a good value relative to the AMG/M offerings and would look pretty nice in a garage beside a CTS Vsport (domestic lover).   

But am I the only one who notices that most of these "performance" SUVs are parked in garages filled with...other SUVs???  Like a husband and wife where his car is the SRT and she drives an Acadia Denali???

Seems like such an odd combo, but I guess the average North American loves riding high....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:22 am »

Good point. 

It's interesting.  I think this SRT is a good value relative to the AMG/M offerings and would look pretty nice in a garage beside a CTS Vsport (domestic lover).   

But am I the only one who notices that most of these "performance" SUVs are parked in garages filled with...other SUVs???  Like a husband and wife where his car is the SRT and she drives an Acadia Denali???

Seems like such an odd combo, but I guess the average North American loves riding high....

There's a house on the bus route where they have two Mitsu RVRs. I've seen a number of houses with two 4 door pickups, and quite a few with two SUVs, quite often the same size. I don't get it.

As for foreign/domestic, some keep it in the family, like the guy with a GL350 and an E350, but there's a guy not far away from him that has an E350 and Escalade. Lots of houses seem to have a domestic pickup and a foreign luxury car too.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
I still gawk at option creep.  Base price $40k; Price as Tested $72k.  I know some cars nearly double in price, but HOLY FAWK, IT'S NEARLY DOUBLE IN PRICE!

Perception, however, is 95% of reality - compared to an X5 M or a Cayenne Turbo S, this little piggy is a bargoon.

Still, those fuel economy numbers aren't bad, unless you take a second and realize that they drove mostly on highways.  I'm sure the city usage would more similar to a pick-up, but without the flexibility or utility of an 8' truck bed. 

I'm a hater of anything Chryco, but I think their slogan for the GC is very accurate (see attached pic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xqZ6OdnzjM&feature=youtu.be&ism=RGApr1013Facebook1

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:21:48 am »
Satin Carbon 20” alloys –  $1995; 19” Alloys – $750;

With 2 optional sets of wheels, no wonder it's getting pricey.. ;) ;).

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:31:59 am »
I still gawk at option creep.  Base price $40k; Price as Tested $72k.  I know some cars nearly double in price, but HOLY FAWK, IT'S NEARLY DOUBLE IN PRICE!

Perception, however, is 95% of reality - compared to an X5 M or a Cayenne Turbo S, this little piggy is a bargoon.

Still, those fuel economy numbers aren't bad, unless you take a second and realize that they drove mostly on highways.  I'm sure the city usage would more similar to a pick-up, but without the flexibility or utility of an 8' truck bed. 

I'm a hater of anything Chryco, but I think their slogan for the GC is very accurate (see attached pic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xqZ6OdnzjM&feature=youtu.be&ism=RGApr1013Facebook1

But the listed base price of $40k is for a standard Grand Cherokee.  Hard to consider the SRT model as an option package.  The SRT base price was listed at $60something correct?

An M3's as tested price is certainly more than double a base 323i

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:06 am »
I don't really have a single criticism for the SRT GC but my mind works like this...

Cool...massive hooligan horsepower in a SUV...fun but, for street only...and it really can't handle...and it's $70k
Sooo...I guess I'm pining for a road vehicle that can handle with a monster V8 for $70k. I know...Stingray
!

BTW I think that is very good gas mileage, I'd have guessed quite a bit worse.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:32 am »
I don't really have a single criticism for the SRT GC but my mind works like this...

Cool...massive hooligan horsepower in a SUV...fun but, for street only...and it really can't handle...and it's $70k
Sooo...I guess I'm pining for a road vehicle that can handle with a monster V8 for $70k. I know...Stingray
!

BTW I think that is very good gas mileage, I'd have guessed quite a bit worse.

Yeah I agree.  Even if I had the financial means, I can't grasp purchasing one of these performance SUVs.  Rather just get a regular GC Limited and put the rest into an actual sportscar.

They are pretty impressive engineering exercises though.  I'll admit that.   Hustling a Cayenne Turbo around a track must feel like you're breaking the laws of physics.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 01:20:52 pm »
But the listed base price of $40k is for a standard Grand Cherokee.  Hard to consider the SRT model as an option package.  The SRT base price was listed at $60something correct?

An M3's as tested price is certainly more than double a base 323i
correct...the base price for the SRT is $63k...and that $72k figure also includes freight and the gas guzzler tax (that's about $2500 alone).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »
Even if I had the financial means, I can't grasp purchasing one of these performance SUVs.  Rather just get a regular GC Limited and put the rest into an actual sportscar.

That's why I tucked the price of the standard Pentastar GC in there - not to show the SRT as an option package, but just to show the alternative to the everything-in-one car. It does handle fairly well though, and it's utterly hilarious to drive.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 02:34:38 pm »
While the practical side of me says, "get the diesel, its nice, quiet, efficient and wont scare the parents at the PTA".....my other side says, " fack that, you want a monster with a loud exhaust to really put the fear of god into the Helen Lovejoy types"....I like it...a lot. I would.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:36:52 pm »
While the practical side of me says, "get the diesel, its nice, quiet, efficient and wont scare the parents at the PTA".....my other side says, " fack that, you want a monster with a loud exhaust to really put the fear of god into the Helen Lovejoy types"....I like it...a lot. I would.
that's an irresponsible attitude only a child would exhibit...shame on you for bringing yourself down to such levels...it seems the marketing departments at Jeep have you hook line and sinker...ah screw it...i want one too. ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:46 pm »
that's an irresponsible attitude only a child would exhibit...shame on you for bringing yourself down to such levels...it seems the marketing departments at Jeep have you hook line and sinker...ah screw it...i want one too. ;D

:rofl:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 02:45:07 pm »
i'll have you know, i've been a fan of the GCSRT8 for a few years now...love it...even heard and felt one rumbling through the Costco parking lot a couple of months ago...wasn't sure where the noise/vibrations were coming from, until that shiny black monster peaked its head around the corner and came up my lane...it was mean looking, and i wanted it.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »
i'll have you know, i've been a fan of the GCSRT8 for a few years now...love it...even heard and felt one rumbling through the Costco parking lot a couple of months ago...wasn't sure where the noise/vibrations were coming from, until that shiny black monster peaked its head around the corner and came up my lane...it was mean looking, and i wanted it.  ;D

Theres a guy who comes out to the Friday night street legal with his supercharged SRT8......  :love: :love: :drool: :drool: The sound and fury of that thing is amazing. I love them, its like a Cayenne Turbo or an X5M....but you dont have be in the cocaine business to own one. Id modify mine, nothing like a school run vehicle with blower whine  ;D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 04:03:21 pm »
this is the best looking of the mean looking SUVs and it's still holding on to the classic old box look (slightly getting more curvy) 

the front end has to be one of my favorites!!!