Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Buick Regal GS  (Read 16399 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Buick Regal GS
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:32:06 am »

A sweet new turbocharged engine and newly available all-wheel drive expand the appeal of Buick's European-designed sport sedan.

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: First Drive: 2014 Buick Regal GS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:00:45 am »
Oh goodie - a Regal thread.  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:39:03 am »
improvement, in the right direction, but not 100% yet. Needs manual with awd. Needs more power. Needs to not have haptic controls for essential functions. And they should make the Grand National already with AWD and TTV6 and 450hp. That would get people excited. This car? Better than the old one, but could be better still. Have two pre orders for it though, so some people are excited for it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 08:32:53 am »
Jaeger with the first post in a Regal thread.  All is right in the world today.  :P

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 08:58:48 am »
there must be more, but i've only ever seen 2 of these so far....  since its intro.  not even GS.. just Regal.  I've seen more Verano than this, and this came earlier.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:20:20 am »
there must be more, but i've only ever seen 2 of these so far....  since its intro.  not even GS.. just Regal.  I've seen more Verano than this, and this came earlier.
I am sure I must have seen many of these Buicks...but I have not noticed one. Obviously a prejudice showing here.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 09:28:46 am »
improvement, in the right direction, but not 100% yet. Needs manual with awd. Needs more power. Needs to not have haptic controls for essential functions. And they should make the Grand National already with AWD and TTV6 and 450hp. That would get people excited. This car? Better than the old one, but could be better still. Have two pre orders for it though, so some people are excited for it.

this car does not need a manual at all, never mind with the AWD... How many sales do you predict for manual-equipped Regals? 1 percent? how many more would sign up for an AWD manual Buick? 6 people? not worth the driveline engineering. unless the Chinese are buying manuals in large quantities.

then again, if that was intended as sarcasm, carry on...  :run: :hide:

a Grand National with a V6 turbo (or twin-turbo), AWD and a twin-clutch auto would be a nice feather in the cap of Regal lineup as a modern, technological tour de force... That i could understand driving the marketing push of the brand to get more youthful and excitement for the brand.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:56:17 am »
A guy has a black one (GS) close to my office. It always turns my head and I think it's a really attractive car. I said it previously throughout this year, had it come out with the Euro-Spec engine (or close to it) with roughly 300BHP or so and AWD it would be in my garage instead of the TL SH-AWD (maybe).

I know not everyone digs this car but I'm one of the few that do - I think it's great.
I also agree the GS needs the 2.8T, I dont care if it is an old engine or not the best on gas [in the Saab 9-3 Aero it isnt that bad actually]. That would give it 320-ish hp and lots of torque.

Then give the GN the 3.6TT with 450+hp and call it a day. A massive return to the spotlight for Buick. At least that is what I would do...

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:31:33 am »
All the images are those of the GS model. While that is nice, it's only available at the $42,000 price point.
I wonder how much of a downgrade it is visually (apart from losing the Brembo's) to get a lesser trim level sans the trapezoid exaust tips, "regular" nose and tail and a small touch screen without NAV.

I am beginning to warm up to the Regal now that the 2.4 is gone (e-ASSist trim notwithstanding) but if I have to go with the top trim level to get a good looking and feeling GS, there is no way in bloody h3ll I would shell out 42k + taxes and destination for a Buick. ES or a fully loaded Avalon for me, please.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
There is a Grand National in the works, but it's on the same platform as the ATS and it will be RWD.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-buick-grand-national-and-gnx-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-20142017-future-cars

For the Regal, it looks like a pretty solid update.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:38:32 am »
ES or a fully loaded Avalon for me, please.

:rofl:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 10:54:46 am »

yikes, not for me. Regal is not in the same league as those cars - different markets. I think Buick is going after entry level Merc or Audi drivers, not Lexus ones. Lacrosse is for that job.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:56:52 am »

Whe you grow up and learn how to earn money, you will also learn how to spend it wisely, especially when we are talking about a car worth a downpayment on a townhose that may secure your retirement ;)
Kids :banghead:

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
yikes, not for me. Regal is not in the same league as those cars - different markets. I think Buick is going after entry level Merc or Audi drivers, not Lexus ones. Lacrosse is for that job.

I hear what you're saying. But right there in the article it says Buick's slogan is  “Beautiful, quiet and comfortable”.  Sounds exactly like something Lexus would say.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:25:09 am »
I like the car, not the price. Still kudos to GM for bringing in a euro sedan.
The Verano/Regal probably end up being cross shopped quite often.
yes they do - many regal shoppers that dont need the bigger interior space, AWD, or tech of the Regal go right into a loaded Verano Turbo for about $8k less.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:07 am »
I see a black GS on the drive home every few days....it actually looks really good. Too bad about the wrong wheel drive.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
For the Regal, it looks like a pretty solid update.

I agree, I think GM did a great job with this update.  I disagree with others saying that it needs more power.  259 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque is nothing to sneeze at.  0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds.  More hp than some of its competition mentioned in the article, like the VW CC, Audi A4, Lexus IS250, Volvo S60 (T5).  The TSX has more HP, but less torque when choosing the top of the line V6, (with a similar price than the Buick)

I am a little surprised there isn't a 2.5L engine option for the base model, like the Impala, which is a much bigger car.   The steering wheel looks nice, as does the dash layout.  With the price improvement, performance updates, and interior updates, certainly deserves to be cross shopped now....

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »
Jaeger with the first post in a Regal thread.  All is right in the world today.  :P

I was just thinking that we haven't had a good Regal thread in a long time...I was kinda missing it!! ;D

My $0.02:
PROS: Good to see GM continuing to incrementally improve their vehicles every year, and not waiting for a new model redesign or full refresh.
Adding AWD has to be a good thing - it's not like GM will lose money on their AWD models, and it may help increase Regal sales in Canada (which have certainly been lacklustre).  Re-tuning the turbo for low-RPM torque may not pay off on the spec sheet, but should increase real-world drivability (though is torque steer an issue with the FWD Regal?)  And the pricing strategy is improved - stop the BS of inflating the MSRP by $3 - 5K, then having huge incentives (which are not necessarily disclosed online, but only once you step in the dealership...)

CONS: I'm still not seeing a compelling case over the Verano turbo - but that's just my opinion.  For others, the extra style and tech might be worth the price premium.  And part of me keeps thinking "same old GM" - I hope those (few) who purchased a Regal last year got significant incentives from the bloated MSRP, because otherwise their depreciation rate just took a MAJOR hit (newer model has more content for less model).  But why should I buy a Regal this year - maybe they'll lower the price/increase the content again next year?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
The Euro Regal keeps turning my head. The trunk is ridiculously small for the class, but gives the car a unique shape.  Might be deals on leftover manuals...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 12:47:28 pm »
The Euro Regal keeps turning my head. The trunk is ridiculously small for the class, but gives the car a unique shape.  Might be deals on leftover manuals...
massive deals on leftover 2013s, selling well below cost atm IIRC...