Author Topic: What Does "Certified Pre-Owned" CPO Really Mean?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
What Does "Certified Pre-Owned" CPO Really Mean?
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:17:18 pm »
So I am looking for a used sports car for my wife as either a Christmas or birthday present (a specific model).  I saw what appeared to be a suitable one advertised at a dealer on the Island so took a look at on Saturday.  It was listed as CPO but when I took a quick look (and that's all it took) I found both rocker panels to be rotted out just in front of the rear wheels, to the point that on the left side I could stick 3 fingers into the hole.

So what does CPO actually get you?  I was surprised to see this car on a dealer lot given its condition; the paint did not reflect the 106,000 kms on the odo, and then to see the amount of rust.  I would hate to see what a non-CPO vehicle would have looked like  :o  I thought I could trust CPO but after this I am not so sure.

BTW, they were asking about 40% (almost $8,000 vs $4,500-5,500) more than what similar make/models are being advertised for privately.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: What Does "Certified Pre-Owned" CPO Really Mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:26 pm »
I suppose it depends.  I know what Lexus CPO is.  I'd guess other luxury cars are similar.  They have to meet a pretty strict condition criteria (mechanically and cosmetically), go through an extensive checklist.  If they pass, you get an extended warranty with it.  It's like buying a new car...but it's used.

I suppose you could twist it around to be a douche though.  If a car comes with a safety certificate, a douche lot could say it's "Certified" and "Pre-Owned".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:00 pm »
I suppose it depends.  I know what Lexus CPO is.  I'd guess other luxury cars are similar.  They have to meet a pretty strict condition criteria (mechanically and cosmetically), go through an extensive checklist.  If they pass, you get an extended warranty with it.  It's like buying a new car...but it's used.

That is what I was thinking, but apparently not.

I suppose you could twist it around to be a douche though.  If a car comes with a safety certificate, a douche lot could say it's "Certified" and "Pre-Owned".

Not a douche dealer, this was the manufacture/new car dealer for the car in question, so not some used car lot or a different make on a new car lot.

This is from the manufactures web site:

TAKE CONFIDENCE FOR A JOY RIDE

Some things just never get old — like our XXXX Certified Pre-Owned vehicles. The reason is because only well-maintained, recent model vehicles make the cut. That's why when you purchase a used XXXX, you can be more than confident it'll perform with all the hair-blowing, eye-catching, heart-pounding, fun-loving, soul-freeing XXXX exhilaration you'd expect from XXXX.

Because we want your Certified Pre-Owned XXXX to feel like new before you put it in your garage we put it through its paces. Each used vehicle is required to endure an uncompromising 160-point inspection inside and out to ensure peak performance. It's just one confidence-inspiring benefit of the XXXX Certified Pre-Owned Program.

And they have this for the warranty:

With our 7-year/140,000-Kilometre Limited Powertrain Warranty, every XXXX Certified Pre-Owned vehicle is covered from the original new retail sales date with no deductible. That means you can drive worry free knowing that XXXX Dealers nationwide will repair or replace any covered part. See dealer for complete details.

No mention of rust perforation.  I should note the car in question is a 1996, so not really a "recent" model as noted above.  And due to its age, the warranty does not apply.  Just seems like a sales gimmick to me  :-X

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »

I should note the car in question is a 1996

A 1996 WHAT?

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:58 pm »
Mazda I think  ;)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:38:23 pm »
I could stick 3 fingers into the hole.

;D ;D ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:36 pm »
I could stick 3 fingers into the hole.

;D ;D ;D

ohhh don't go there man!!

;D

by the way, what kinda manufacturer has balls to say CPO for 1996 car???

CPOs usually are covered for at most 8~9 years from new for all real cpo lux cars..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:13:22 am »

A 1996 WHAT?

I'm not telling (NA)  :-X  ;) 

by the way, what kinda manufacturer has balls to say CPO for 1996 car???

CPOs usually are covered for at most 8~9 years from new for all real cpo lux cars..

Well this manufacture has CPO on "recent" models; no definition of "recent".  And not what I think of as a luxury brand either.

Considering the price and low (for its age) kms, I thought maybe CPO made sense for this; however after seeing it I really do wonder why it was.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:10:48 am »
I figure if it doesn't meet the CPO criteria as given on the manufacturers web site ... then it just a gimmick.  And most of the plans I've seen have year and mileage limits.  So if the car is older than the limit the chances of it being real CPO are small.  Even then .. most plans seem to start the clock on the in-service date

Example .. saw a 2008 subie being advertised as CPO.  The official subie CPO plan is  5 years or less.  I phoned to check if this particular car was covered by the subie CPO warranty and was told ... No .. only applied to 2009 and later.

Some dealers seem to be pretty liberal in slapping the official manufacturer CPO logo on the adverts when it ain't necessarily so.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:12:26 am by goodsonr »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 05:47:37 am »
I have always seen CPO as being a 3 year old car that has had just one owner (lessee) with dealer service history and sold by a dealer for that brand only.   Or possibly 2 or 4 years old, i.e one lease period.  Around 50-80,000 kms only. Then the full original factory warranty extended to a maximum of 6 years and perhaps 160,000 kms. Cars in essentially perfect condition, certainly no rust.

Expensive FGCs only.      IIRC that was the original CPO.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:27:56 am »
I have always assumed CPO means a used car that has some form of inspection done.  As opposed to a non CPO car, which is a used car that may or may not have had some form of inspection done.

Still, it's a great marketing tool, like 'new home warranty'.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:49 am »
The CPO question comes up so often around here that I've come to think car manufacturers should market it more aggressively – people are interested but unsure about it.

As has been pointed out, the real value of CPO'd used cars is the legit extended Mfr warranty which combined with the new car warranty often provides a longer coverage period than the same model new. CPO warranties are are usually vastly different then the generic after-market extended ones.

CPO is a wise approach to purchasing used FGCs

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:15:38 am »
With our 7-year/140,000-Kilometre Limited Powertrain Warranty, every XXXX Certified Pre-Owned vehicle is covered from the original new retail sales date with no deductible

the car is a 1996
WTF!!!

that doesn't qualify as CPO...  the above statement means the warranty even under CPO is expired.
does it?????    ???

from what i'm getting the car would have been covered until 2003 (7 years from 1996)
i'm I wrong?

I'd love to know the dealership... because that would be a place I'd certainly NOT buy a car from.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:15 am »

A 1996 WHAT?

I'm not telling (NA)  :-X  ;) 

Well this manufacture has CPO on "recent" models; no definition of "recent".  And not what I think of as a luxury brand either.

Considering the price and low (for its age) kms, I thought maybe CPO made sense for this; however after seeing it I really do wonder why it was.

At the very least, I think you should contact the brand's Canadian Office and ask them if their dealers should be using the "CPO" term in this fashion.  If the answer is "No", then suggest to them that they have a word with that particular dealer about his/her practices. 

I'm not saying such an action will do anything but it couldn't hurt to try.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:37 am »
This one? http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1996-Mazda-Miata-Miata-W0QQAdIdZ516852185

Like someone else said, the ad actually reads Pre-Owned, and then later says the car is "certified" (meaning safetied?), but they never actually say the car is Certified Pre-Owned.

But when you do a search on the dealer website under "Certified Pre-Owned Inventory", the same car does come up. Kind of sneaky, IMO, although it should probably be obvious that a 1996 car is never going to qualify under a manufacturer CPO program.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:22 pm »
^^ LOL, horrible spelling and grammar is so common in car ads, I don't even notice it any more! Nor did I notice that the ad is for a Mazda Miata Miata (must be twice as fun!). And what's with all the Random Capitals?  :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 01:13:52 pm »
Hey my pre-owned hair bleew  threw...tho' it has a blue tinge..but(t) it grew on me....
 but on the other HAND it's true wot they say.... 8) :o :( :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 08:35:44 pm »
This one? http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1996-Mazda-Miata-Miata-W0QQAdIdZ516852185

Maybe, maybe not  ;)

Like someone else said, the ad actually reads Pre-Owned, and then later says the car is "certified" (meaning safetied?), but they never actually say the car is Certified Pre-Owned.

But when you do a search on the dealer website under "Certified Pre-Owned Inventory", the same car does come up. Kind of sneaky, IMO, although it should probably be obvious that a 1996 car is never going to qualify under a manufacturer CPO program.

When I actually viewed the car, the sticker in the window said Certified Pre Owned; I did not get CPO from the ad, nor was it a factor in me going to see the car.

Also, last time I checked the dealer web site (last week before going to the dealer), the car was not listed in any sections of their inventory.  Must be back now if you found it.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...