Poll

How would you try and crash in unavoidable crash condition?

Head-On
0 (0%)
Evade/fail, offset frontal crash
1 (11.1%)
Maneuver to unmanned side/side crash
6 (66.7%)
pull a side-brake 180 and hit in the trunk... yes i'm that good.
1 (11.1%)
crank the wheel all the way and hope for the best.
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Best way to Crash???  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Best way to Crash???
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »
Ditching is pretty viable out here because the ditches are shallow, and there usually aren't trees handy.

I can't really predict what I'd do. I've managed to keep the bikes upright a few times when I broke traction and afterwards couldn't figure out how I did it. Blind instinct, or luck or something.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »
some of the rural areas around here have pretty deep ditches. 
i've seen some hit the ditch, the nose of the car hits the embankment and flips the car.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:19:50 am »
I ditched an Audi Quattro to avoid an unlicensed underage farm hand with a borrowed truck who failed to stop
on a country road.  I had previous training with Audi school and full brakes and just a slight movement of wheel and his braking
yielded the no impact results.  However the car was totalled with impact and torn-out underneath.

I have often relived that and do wonder if I had swung wheel the other way if I could have snake-tailed back onto road.
I'd like to take that to an instructor and train on that manoevrer.  I think training schools for high speed events are terrific.
(but expensive).

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:56 am »
I ditched an Audi Quattro to avoid an unlicensed underage farm hand with a borrowed truck who failed to stop
on a country road.  I had previous training with Audi school and full brakes and just a slight movement of wheel and his braking
yielded the no impact results.  However the car was totalled with impact and torn-out underneath.

I have often relived that and do wonder if I had swung wheel the other way if I could have snake-tailed back onto road.
I'd like to take that to an instructor and train on that manoevrer.  I think training schools for high speed events are terrific.
(but expensive).

Last fall, my wife and son took a Tire Rack Street Survival school run by the local BMW club.  It was only $75 (included lunch) from 9am-5pm.  There was 2 hours of classroom, 4 hours of seat time doing drills and auto-crossing.
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=80430.0

There's one being held in Brampton on Nov 3.
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/street-survival-school-intro
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:40 am »
"not wearing their seat belts surely didn't help"

At what point will people wake the fuk up?

Wear your god damned seat belt.  it's there for a reason, ffs.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 11:45:46 am »

Still baffles me when I hear "the victims were not wearing seatbelts" when you hear about a deadly car crash, dont know about you guys, but putting my seat belt on is almost a reflex when I get into a car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:30 pm »

Still baffles me when I hear "the victims were not wearing seatbelts" when you hear about a deadly car crash, dont know about you guys, but putting my seat belt on is almost a reflex when I get into a car.

I've been riding dirt bikes since forever and never gave it a second thought, but for the first month of owning my street bike, I'd get half way down the block then think "oh sh!t, I forgot to put on my seat belt!"

Funny how the ol' brain works sometimes.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 04:25:28 pm »

People still drive with a kid/dog/cat on their lap, women apply makeup, men shave.....basically people just do what ever they want besides driving while driving. Somebody to stupid to put on a seatbelt doesn't surprise me anymore.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 09:03:28 pm »
To answer the op...

Back around 1970 I was driving east on the 400 across Toronto.  Unknown to us, the speedometer read 20% slow and we were doing probably 95mph in the fast lane, in a 1964 Suburban.  Suddenly ahead, cars were going all over the place like pinballs.  I realized there was a large accident in progress, and slammed on the brakes.  I had to keep increasing the pressure as they faded (all drums), and it was taking a long time to slow down since it was also a little downhill. 

I considered that I wasn't going to have time to stop as I was getting closer to the car ahead, which also had brakes full-on.  I considered that the back end of the Suburban would be cheaper to fix than the front, and I recalled that Stirling Moss had deliberately spun a racing car around backwards to mitigate a huge shunt he'd been in.

So I let off the brakes enough to allow the front wheels to turn, and turned the wheel enough to start a spin.  There was no room to use the handbrake technique even if I'd known how.  We only got sideways before the truck stopped moving, about 18 inches from the next car.  I checked to see if anyone was going to hit us, but we were ok.  I couldn't believe we'd gotten out of this without any damage.  Had I not spun sideways, given the position of the center of gravity of the truck relative to an end rather than the the side, we would have used up the 2 feet.  And probably the old Suburban had more braking traction sideways than straight.  The passengers had been utterly silent as this unfolded, but we got quite a rush afterward.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »

People still drive with a kid/dog/cat on their lap, women apply makeup, men shave.....basically people just do what ever they want besides driving while driving. Somebody to stupid to put on a seatbelt doesn't surprise me anymore.

Yup I saw this on Sunday. 4 adults and 2 kids pile into a Camry. Kids sat in the adults lap in the back. No child car seats seen at all.
Don't want to be discrimatory but might be a cultural/immigration thing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:23:52 pm by Black Hatch »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:57 pm »

ah...    stupidity, it knows no bounds.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 09:28:03 pm »
I drive in early a few days a week to give my son a lift to school and I've noticed quite a few people eating some form of breakfast sandwich while driving. Watching them I'd almost prefer it if they were texting instead.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
I drive in early a few days a week to give my son a lift to school and I've noticed quite a few people eating some form of breakfast sandwich while driving. Watching them I'd almost prefer it if they were texting instead.

Whats wrong with eating a breakfast sandwich?
That only requires one hand.... With texting most people use two....
(okay I guess you could text with one hand, its just not as fast).

Ok I admit sometimes I eat with one hand while driving. Not any different that taking a sip of coffee with one hand.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »

Ok I admit sometimes I eat with one hand while driving. Not any different that taking a sip of coffee with one hand.

I agree.  If you can drink coffee while driving, you can hold a sandwedge.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:57 pm »

The people I see are doing it wrong...two-handed double push while watching their lap to see if anything spills.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:26 pm »

The people I see are doing it wrong...two-handed double push while watching their lap to see if anything spills.

Oh...in that case.  Yea, that's wrong.   :o

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »

Yeah, but can you get up and down for par?  ;D

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:36 am »

Hey its not too hard even when driving standard (RX-8).
Having the sandwich in the right hand.
Set to 1st gear,
Bite one
Shift to 2nd
Bite two
Shift to 3rd
bite 3
shift to 4th, etc

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 08:29:21 am »
If the suggestion is that using only one hand makes it okay, then it should be okay to use a cell phone while driving.

The hardest thing I've eaten while driving was a Peanut Buster Parfait, you have to steer with your knees so you can hold it in one hand and use the spoon with the other.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 09:08:53 am »
If the suggestion is that using only one hand makes it okay, then it should be okay to use a cell phone while driving.

The hardest thing I've eaten while driving was a Peanut Buster Parfait, you have to steer with your knees so you can hold it in one hand and use the spoon with the other.

I was on a business trip with a salesman who drove a 5 speed Jeep in traffic steering with his knees, while looking up a phone number on his Palm Pilot (late nineties) and dialling his cell phone  :o