Author Topic: Gearheads vs non-gearheads  (Read 3679 times)

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
Gearheads vs non-gearheads
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:21:36 pm »
So at the tail end of lunch hour last Friday, I showed some of my office mates a picture of a hot-rodded V-8 from Car Craft.  I expected a couple positive responses from the guys but instead I got just a bunch of negatives!  Comments ran the gamut of "waste of money" to "why would need a car that fast?". :censor:, why then buy a nice house when you can live in a trailer?  Arrgh! I work with non-gearheads!  I'd  drop a V-8 into my van if I had the money.  /rant

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Gearheads vs non-gearheads
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
So at the tail end of lunch hour last Friday, I showed some of my office mates a picture of a hot-rodded V-8 from Car Craft.  I expected a couple positive responses from the guys but instead I got just a bunch of negatives!  Comments ran the gamut of "waste of money" to "why would need a car that fast?". :censor:, why then buy a nice house when you can live in a trailer?  Arrgh! I work with non-gearheads!  I'd  drop a V-8 into my van if I had the money.  /rant

Well, consider that the alternative may be a lot of desirable things other than a nice house.  For instance, you could put the cash toward travel, charities, retiring earlier etc.  What you are seeing is that fewer people/men are growing up thinking that the main thing they should do with their spare time and money is operate a car.  Going for a "Sunday drive" used to be pretty standard, but I don't know anyone who does that any more.  Cars are great tools, but I don't think cars should be seen as our main purpose in life.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:27:45 pm »
Well, apart from not being car ppl they are also a boring bunch who look at everything in life from a practical angle. The house is needed to be of certain size and location because that's what their friends and relatives also do. If you need more on their type - the muggles from Privet Drive are a prime example  :P
They won't understand you also for lack of imagination.
There isn't a practical, comfort, safety, or fuel economy sense for them in a car like this:
http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/1310_1970_dodge_challenger_rt/photo_08.html#
While not a hot rod, it's extremely awesome thing to get an average looking classic but with 5 Corollas under the hood  :)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:30:35 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Gearheads vs non-gearheads
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:55:52 am »
But would a gearhead own a van?

:P

:stick:

You own a van. (MDX)  :stick:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:01:33 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:01:23 am »

Well, consider that the alternative may be a lot of desirable things other than a nice house.  For instance, you could put the cash toward travel, charities, retiring earlier etc.  What you are seeing is that fewer people/men are growing up thinking that the main thing they should do with their spare time and money is operate a car.  Going for a "Sunday drive" used to be pretty standard, but I don't know anyone who does that any more.  Cars are great tools, but I don't think cars should be seen as our main purpose in life.

We do it all the time , yesterday went to Ottawa and back a nice 600 km around trip
A lot of evening the wife and I will go for a drive in the hills around here
Not like the Garage Queen Snowman , who rather ride his bike instead of drive the TT or S2000 :stick:  ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

We do it all the time , yesterday went to Ottawa and back a nice 600 km around trip
Not like the Garage Queen Snowman , who rather ride his bike instead of drive the TT or S2000 :stick:  ;D

Yeah but you are old. ;D
We did the same yesterday putting on 500 kms or so in the Annapolis valley enjoying the fall colours.
The younger set don't even know how to change a tire or know where the dipstick is located. ???
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:36 am »

Yeah but you are old. ;D
We did the same yesterday putting on 500 kms or so in the Annapolis valley enjoying the fall colours.
The younger set don't even know how to change a tire or know where the dipstick is located. ???
Dipstick is easy to find , it is usually standing beside your daughter  :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:27:19 pm »

Difference between and SUV and a minivan is like the difference between a skirt and a kilt. They both may technically be the same thing but I'd rather wear a kilt.

Whatever you have to tell yourself so you feel better. :))

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:48:18 pm »

Difference between and SUV and a minivan is like the difference between a skirt and a kilt. They both may technically be the same thing but I'd rather wear a kilt.

It's a station wagon, they're cool dontcha know  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:07:44 pm »

Would a gearhead own a van?  F*cking right he would! 

And station wagons are cool!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »

Fix: