Author Topic: Question about car hoods/roof  (Read 1271 times)

Offline kevinf2018

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Corolla
Question about car hoods/roof
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:03 pm »
Hey guys,

I don't know a lot about cars, and kinda sad for my age given that I'm 30... but, hey... here to learn.

Okay, so this is probably a silly question but... take a look at this convertible  ...

1st I would like to know what is really the right term to describe the gray part that separates.... this also makes me wonder and I'm curious are there any cars out there that have that 'type' of hood that don't convert and it's just there for esthetics? Just don't wanna look like an idiot and say 'look at that convertible' and get the odd stare.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Question about car hoods/roof
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:37 pm »
Convertible roof, top, roof, soft top....all are acceptable responses. Ive seen older cars that have a vinyl roof that kind of looks like a convertible roof but is just a fake stick on cover. Also some cars have a partial vinyl covering called a landau roof. Higher end cars also have a folding hard metal top

Vinyl roof, not a convertible:

An absolutely criminally bad looking example of a Landau roof:

Folding hard top

Hope this helps.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline kevinf2018

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Corolla
Re: Question about car hoods/roof
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:53:02 pm »
Hey, thanks for your help! Okay, so I did a bit of research based on what you wrote... I was reading that the Landau generally means simulated convertible.... but as many coachbuilding terms transferred to automobiles, the Landau didn't do so well and the half-Landault became much more popular which is when only the rear comes up. So is the Landault then not really a term to describe the whole top cover of the car which really doesn't come off... just wondering because the picture of the Landault shows just the rear