Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Mazda3  (Read 31523 times)

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2014 Mazda3
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30:15 pm »
A traditional question - Did they solved the rust issues with new generation Mazdas?
In recent rust ratings Mazda was shown as a #1 of top 10 worst cars for rust. You can see it here: http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/09/25/top-10-best-worst-cars-rust-problems-repair-fix-used-car-for-sale-top-10-best-vehicles/

I was thinking the exact thing.  I also wonder if the dealer will honour warranty claims for rust.  Several of my friend's Mazda3's (all under 5 years old) have rust in the rear wheel wells, and the dealer play the "rust is not perforation" get-out-of-jail-free card.  Until then, I won't ever buy a Mazda.  Too bad.  I've owned three of them in the 80's and 90's.

Well that is true, it is a rust perforation warranty.  Unless there is a visible hole through, they can't honour a claim because Mazda Canada won't reimburse the dealer for it.

That's why they make drills.  :)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 06:14:11 pm »
I think you missed mazda's point here :

" In truth, the Mazda3′s Skyactiv bits and pieces weren’t developed exactly simultaneously because the new Skyactiv 2.0L engine and its matching six-speed manual and automatic transmissions were developed a little earlier and made available last year on the second-generation 2013 Mazda3."

The CX-5platform  was designed around the skyactive 2.0, and the 6 platform was designed around the 2.5. The fact that they RETROFITTED the skyactive 2.0 to the existing 3 for two years only shows how critical that model and segment is to them. Realistically, I expect almost every car company to stagger their model releases.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 06:21:21 pm »
2012 to be exact. I love my 2012. I don't know how they can say "despite the interior", I love the interior of my 3. Different strokes different folks I guess, but I love the clean and understated interior, much like how Audis are.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
Mazda Rust problem
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
I own a 2002 Protege, so I don't have blinders on, but there's a lot of emotional hyperbole on this issue.

"Several of my friend's Mazda3's (all under 5 years old) have rust in the rear wheel wells, and the dealer play the "rust is not perforation" get-out-of-jail-free card.  Until then, I won't ever buy a Mazda.  Too bad.  I've owned three of them in the 80's and 90's."

1. Every single car manufacturer works this way. Every car I have ever owned is warranted against perforation ONLY.

2. Cars wear out, if the body quits the same time the rest of the car does, then, like, whatever.

3.100% of rust perforation  is due to owner neglect. If i had done chip repair, or the occasional wash + waxing, my car would still be fine ( except maybe for that weird patch on the back hatch under the name plate ). Could Mazda have done a better job ? sure. Did they have a design mistake ? quite likely. Could they have sourced better steel ? possibly. But there's always a tradeoff, and the P5 has been the best car I have ever owned, in every way that matters, and is still a great drive at 12 years old and 300k.

4. That autoblog slide-show posting is pretty suspect. The top 10 worst is actually a top 23, and since there aren't any words explaining the "winners", it's difficult to trust. Hyundai and Kia are (among the ) least likely to rust ? That doesn't correlate to observation, at all.

And finally, it's a P5/M3 rust issue, not a Mazda rust issue, in that  I haven't noticed any other models having a problem.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 07:26:12 pm »
The license plate on the front doesn't detract from the looks as I thought it might. The Mazda3 is a clear winner in it's category with great fuel numbers, fun to drive in a class leading design at an affordable price. There are tons of Mazda3's where I live in BC and I haven't seen a single one with any rust. I had a Mazda in the early '80's that rusted, but that's eons ago and many different companies had issues in those days!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 07:29:05 pm »
That front plate really kills the front look...  :-\

Offline timelynoise

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Mazda Rust problem
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 08:35:56 pm »
I own a 2002 Protege, so I don't have blinders on, but there's a lot of emotional hyperbole on this issue.
3.100% of rust perforation  is due to owner neglect. If i had done chip repair, or the occasional wash + waxing, my car would still be fine ( except maybe for that weird patch on the back hatch under the name plate ). Could Mazda have done a better job ? sure. Did they have a design mistake ? quite likely. Could they have sourced better steel ? possibly. But there's always a tradeoff, and the P5 has been the best car I have ever owned, in every way that matters, and is still a great drive at 12 years old and 300k.

I can't agree with you. I owned a 2005 Mazda 3 in the Vancouver area. I expect that there is less salt on the roads here than anywhere else in Canada simply because temperatures below freezing aren't that common.
I take pride in the appearance of my cars and wash/wax them far more often than is "average." I'm considering average to be what I see happening in my neighbours' driveways.
Despite all these things in its favour, our Mazda developed rust blisters on all four doors on the inner skin. The blisters were in the area where the inner and outer skin were either joined together or very near the seam. The rust was forming from inside the door panel.
There is absolutely nothing I could have done to contribute to or prevent this. It was either poor quality or poor design by Mazda.
When I took it to the dealer, I was initially told it would be repaired as Mazda recognized there was a problem. They checked further and found only 2007 models had this problem - according to Mazda.
Mazda Canada refused to do anything until it was perforated - which would happen eventually but would be outside the warranty period. I have heard that Mazda's repairs are only a stop gap anyway, that the rust returns.
Very disappointing experience, won't buy another Mazda.
"Any car will last a life time if you drive it fast enough." Bryce Gilkinson

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »
oh look another Mazda rust thread....

And finally, it's a P5/M3 rust issue, not a Mazda rust issue, in that  I haven't noticed any other models having a problem.

Me neither. 
Don't get a Mazda6 because they will rust.  Is there evidence of early rusting on Mazda6?

Finally I have seen other 10+ year vehicles already have rust in the their fenders, trunks and tailgates.
The first gen Mazda3 (2004 to 2006) is almost 10 years old. Do we expect them NOT to rust after 10 years?
What is the life expectancy for car before it starts to rust?

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 09:38:55 pm »
oh look another Mazda rust thread....

Me neither. 
Don't get a Mazda6 because they will rust.  Is there evidence of early rusting on Mazda6?

Finally I have seen other 10+ year vehicles already have rust in the their fenders, trunks and tailgates.
The first gen Mazda3 (2004 to 2006) is almost 10 years old. Do we expect them NOT to rust after 10 years?
What is the life expectancy for car before it starts to rust?

Dunno.  My 98 Taurus has no rust, neither did my 91 Legacy.  My neighbour has a 68 Dart that he uses as a daily driver, not a spot of rust on the original paint.

Maybe they will someday but not after ten years.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »
I am sure location of the vehicle is part of the factor, owner maintenance another, certain engineering designs may increase or decrease the likelihood rust, and the quality of materials used...

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 01:36:05 am »
NO ANALOG SPEEDOMETER?   WHAT;  was the designer's brains asleep when they created this latest design?

Why not just skip the wheels too, just tell the consumers that tires are not really needed to enjoy the drive?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 01:42:08 am »
Did you even read the article?

GX and GS dash:

GT dash:

As a side note, the Civic hasn't had an analogue speedometer since two generations ago, I don't see its sales tanking.  ::)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 01:44:11 am »
NO ANALOG SPEEDOMETER?   WHAT;  was the designer's brains asleep when they created this latest design?

Why not just skip the wheels too, just tell the consumers that tires are not really needed to enjoy the drive?

DKaz has already pointed out that the digital speedometer is on the GT only.

The late, great S2000 was digital.

Sportbikes have had digital speedometers for a dog's age now. It has never interfered with my ability to have fun.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 02:04:04 am »
The HUD numbers appear to float maybe 75m in front of the car. Makes it easy to read the speed without having to refocus the eyes.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:28 am »

GX and GS dash:

Any good reason why a 155hp GX/GS needs to have a 260 KPH speedometer thus rendering HALF the available speedo real estate USELESS?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 08:32:37 am »
Probably no good reason.  But this generation isn't the only one to have this issue, neither is it a trait unique to Mazda...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 08:33:59 am »

GX and GS dash:

Any good reason why a 155hp GX/GS needs to have a 260 KPH speedometer thus rendering HALF the available speedo real estate USELESS?

You're beginning to sound like Rupert.   :rofl2:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Mazda Rust problem
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 08:39:51 am »

"Several of my friend's Mazda3's (all under 5 years old) have rust in the rear wheel wells, and the dealer play the "rust is not perforation" get-out-of-jail-free card.  Until then, I won't ever buy a Mazda.  Too bad.  I've owned three of them in the 80's and 90's."

1. Every single car manufacturer works this way. Every car I have ever owned is warranted against perforation ONLY.

2. Cars wear out, if the body quits the same time the rest of the car does, then, like, whatever.

4. That autoblog slide-show posting is pretty suspect. The top 10 worst is actually a top 23, and since there aren't any words explaining the "winners", it's difficult to trust. Hyundai and Kia are (among the ) least likely to rust ? That doesn't correlate to observation, at all.

I disagree.  I regularly washed and waxed my car.  It's still rusting.  It's rusting worse than my 1992 Pontiac Sunbird was at the same age.  Still, it is a fun car to drive at 328k kms.  Sunbird was retired at 290k kms.

I have seen Protege sedans and MPVs rusting as well. Even heard of 5s rusting.  So the issue is more broad than the Protege5 and Mazda 3.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:40 am »
Probably no good reason.  But this generation isn't the only one to have this issue, neither is it a trait unique to Mazda...

Well there probaly is a reason. Maybe a parts bin thing where they just re use a speedo that is common across other models? Still how many other Mazda models will hit 260 kph?

Offline jjac28

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:20 am »
Mazda has a winner on its hands, best in class for sure.

When it comes to rust it does look like mazda has taken many steps to correct the issue , from what i have seen they redesigned the wheel well and are now using better metals on their cars.

My Protege5 performed flawlessly until i traded it in after 180k km, never had any problems with the car. Minor rust in the wheel well area but after 10 years thats expected.
My current 2008 Mazda 5 has no rust .

Every car will rust after many years, sure Mazda did have a problem but i dont think thats the case anymore.  if you live an a area where they spray salt in winter then you need to  rustproof your car