Author Topic: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz  (Read 121792 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2024, 09:46:43 pm »
Congrats!  I really like these and got to drive one for 3 hours when I had my 6-wagon in for servicing. One of these would make for a great trip car for me as they are extremely functional.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #521 on: March 27, 2024, 10:25:18 pm »
Congrats! Definitely a unique vehicle, can't think of anything else with sliding rear doors and a manual made within the last 2-decades or so.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 27, 2024, 10:52:04 pm »
Those are cool!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #523 on: March 27, 2024, 10:55:34 pm »
Congrats!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 27, 2024, 11:53:45 pm »
Congrats! These were popular vehicles around here but are quickly disappearing due to rust. I also think their suspension was a weak point, something to do with Mazda not beefing it up to handle more weight? Essentially a stock Mazda3 suspension?

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #525 on: March 28, 2024, 12:30:36 am »
Congrats! These were popular vehicles around here but are quickly disappearing due to rust. I also think their suspension was a weak point, something to do with Mazda not beefing it up to handle more weight? Essentially a stock Mazda3 suspension?

This was an issue with the 1st gen (like our 09). Not sure about the 2nd gen.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #526 on: March 28, 2024, 12:41:07 am »
Thanks all!

This is the undercarriage (the rusty thing in the foreground of the first photo is a hitch). About a normal amount of rust for a 12 year old Mazda that’s lived in Vancouver all its life, nothing POR15 can’t fix and Krown or Rust Check can’t keep in check.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 28, 2024, 12:49:37 am »
Congrats!  I really like these and got to drive one for 3 hours when I had my 6-wagon in for servicing. One of these would make for a great trip car for me as they are extremely functional.

Thank! The noise insulation might be a little lacking compared to the 6, but I’ve loved the two I had before.

Congrats! Definitely a unique vehicle, can't think of anything else with sliding rear doors and a manual made within the last 2-decades or so.

I was contemplating importing something from Europe but I joined the Facebook groups for the cars I was interested in and the potential problems combined with having to order parts from Europe scared me off.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #528 on: March 28, 2024, 12:59:40 am »
Solid choice. I really liked my '08 Mazda5.

The refresh had a lot of improvements that would go a long way to making it feel less cheap.

Agreed, same with the 2nd gen 3. I think the biggest thing is that they improved the rust resistance of the 2nd gen.

I was catfished. The shifter you first pictured is not the one in the follow up pics.  ;D

lol I needed to find a higher resolution photo. GS vs. GT shifter?

Looked like GS had no chrome bezel and GT had chrome. Could be US/world pictures though.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2024, 06:25:19 am »
Nice find Dkaz. Must getting hard to find a good MT car these days.  Congrats!  :thumbup:

Trailer hitch assemblies start to rust the day they go on.   :P

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #530 on: March 28, 2024, 09:04:11 am »
I always like the 5. It's just too small for taller drivers. Test drove one many years ago with my dad and he simply didn't fit because the seat wouldn't go back far enough. I'm a couple inches shorter than he is and it was still quite tight for me. Too bad because it's a practical, nice driving vehicle.

I also rented one once. Dropped off the rental, flew to Montreal, picked up a Ford Escape (this would have been around 2011). Drove the Escape as I had been driving the 5 and I thought it was going to roll over.  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 28, 2024, 09:23:43 am »
I'm all torso so I fit fine, but it was obvious the seat travel was pretty limited.

By comparison the seats in the Golf go so much further back.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2024, 09:38:11 am »
Looked like GS had no chrome bezel and GT had chrome. Could be US/world pictures though.

Is it odd I would’ve preferred the GS shift knob? Not a fan of chrome bits that can catch sun just the right way. I guess I could shift gears if it bothered me that much in that particular moment lol.

Nice find Dkaz. Must getting hard to find a good MT car these days.  Congrats!  :thumbup:

Trailer hitch assemblies start to rust the day they go on.   :P

They do. Must be the same steel they used on the some of the nuts and bolts I see. Thanks!

I'm all torso so I fit fine, but it was obvious the seat travel was pretty limited.

By comparison the seats in the Golf go so much further back.
I always like the 5. It's just too small for taller drivers. Test drove one many years ago with my dad and he simply didn't fit because the seat wouldn't go back far enough. I'm a couple inches shorter than he is and it was still quite tight for me. Too bad because it's a practical, nice driving vehicle.

I also rented one once. Dropped off the rental, flew to Montreal, picked up a Ford Escape (this would have been around 2011). Drove the Escape as I had been driving the 5 and I thought it was going to roll over.  ;D

It’s a common complaint as well as the short bottom cushion. I often prefer sitting as close as possible to the steering wheel/pedals, so it’s perfect for me. In many of the cars my 157cm ex and 185cm shared, we used the same driving position. Oddly, the 5 was one of those vehicles where we couldn’t do so. I can see for taller drivers with a more relaxed driving position would see an issue. I’ll let everyone know if they somehow improved this in the 2nd gen.

On long highway stretches where my use of pedals are limited, I like stretching out. It’s been a very long time since I had a 5 with a baby seat behind me so we’ll see. But still, ergonomically the 5 has always felt very comfortable to me. I had some cars that were terrible for me ergonomically like the 08 Corolla I only had for a year.

If it’s the boxy Escape, I too recall almost rolling one over trying to take a right turn as usual.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 28, 2024, 10:08:46 am »
Yep, it was the boxy one. Drove like absolute crap compared to the Mazda.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #534 on: March 28, 2024, 10:18:58 am »
I can't recall the last time I saw a 5 on the roads. Will keep my eyes peeled but they are not common.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 28, 2024, 10:27:58 am »
I saw a couple yesterday in Edmonton, but I don't think it ever got popular in the prairies where gas prices and parking isn't an issue. Quebecois snapped these up like maple syrup, and they were also fairly popular in BC, the Maritimes, and Ontario.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #536 on: March 28, 2024, 10:30:18 am »
front neighbor has one.  It seams to be holding up pretty well.   They were affordable,  I always thought they should have made a newer model, specially with prices of Vans now.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 28, 2024, 10:42:19 am »
It seems even Europeans who were by far the biggest market for people movers are migrating from small cars to CUVs. Mazda, Ford, VW, Peugeot, Citroen, all the biggest players in that market do not have succession plans for any of their small people movers.

These were some of the people movers I was considering importing to Canada. Size wise they were close to a 2000 Toyota Sienna or Dodge Caravan ie. the third rows are capable of seating adults with about double the cargo room behind the 3rd row. But it would've been a couple of years from now and would've taken funds away from working towards our desired next house.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #538 on: March 28, 2024, 10:46:01 am »
The parents had a Nissan Axxess back in the day, looks like a similar idea. Handy thing

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 28, 2024, 11:01:05 am »
The parents had a Nissan Axxess back in the day, looks like a similar idea. Handy thing

These were only sold for a single year (1990) in the U.S. but lived on through 1995 in Canada. Another mini-minivan that could be had with a manual.

Then there was the Eagle Summit/Plymouth Colt Vista wagon-van thing. These were super popular when I lived in Nova Scotia in the 90s. They had optional AWD and were basically the equivalent of a modern compact crossover.