Author Topic: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz  (Read 121767 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #320 on: December 10, 2018, 12:18:49 pm »
You'll need a wireless Carplay/Auto head unit to use it wirelessly and the cheapest head unit that supports it is $899. I wanted wireless but I didn't think it was worth an extra $600. I'll wait until it comes down in price.
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_1304400NEX/Pioneer-AVH-W4400NEX.html?search=pioneer_avh-w4400nex&avf=N&skipvs=T

Newp, not worth the premium.  Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure how widespread that technology had become.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:29 pm »
Totally missed this. Rig looks good!

I very much prefer carplay to android auto and  it's one of the reasons I'd stick with iOS for the near future. Which is annoying because I need to get an android phone to use for my obdeleven device  ::)

Wireless carplay/auto would be very nice. Sucks to have to plug the phone in for a 5 minute trip. In the golf it's even worse because the cubby/location of the (only) usb port is awkward and inconvenient. But I do feel like for longer trips without charging (though lots of phones support Qi wireless charging now) carplay will drain too much battery.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2018, 12:24:06 am »

I very much prefer carplay to android auto and  it's one of the reasons I'd stick with iOS for the near future. Which is annoying because I need to get an android phone to use for my obdeleven device  ::)

Wireless carplay/auto would be very nice. Sucks to have to plug the phone in for a 5 minute trip. In the golf it's even worse because the cubby/location of the (only) usb port is awkward and inconvenient. But I do feel like for longer trips without charging (though lots of phones support Qi wireless charging now) carplay will drain too much battery.

I don't bother to plug in my phone for short trips.  I'd only do it if I need to charge or if I'm driving for more than 15 minutes. 
Wireless AA would be awesome if it became reliable enough -- but I hear wireless ACP for BMW is not very good.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2018, 12:47:00 am »

I don't bother to plug in my phone for short trips.  I'd only do it if I need to charge or if I'm driving for more than 15 minutes. 
Wireless AA would be awesome if it became reliable enough -- but I hear wireless ACP for BMW is not very good.

We love iOttie car phone holders.  The have a new wireless car charging one..just dock your phone and it's charging.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2018, 01:11:15 am »
The main point of wireless AA and ACP is being able to use the phone for navigation, music, etc. without having to pull it out of one’s pocket, useful for shorter trips. But I see it as a minor inconvenience. I’m trying to get my wife used to using navigation for commuting in order to bypass traffic, and I tell her she needs to let the oil flow for 30-60 seconds before creeping down the alley, so in that period of time, we can plug our phones in and set navigation.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2018, 01:14:52 am »
I’d get the wireless one for my motorcycle though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2018, 01:45:10 am »
The main point of wireless AA and ACP is being able to use the phone for navigation, music, etc. without having to pull it out of one’s pocket,

I never leave my phone in my pocket, so.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #327 on: December 14, 2018, 10:29:19 am »

We love iOttie car phone holders.  The have a new wireless car charging one..just dock your phone and it's charging.

I love iOttie holders, too. I have non-wireless charging ones in both our cars.
I am having a hard time find a good place to place it in the Forester without interfering with the EyeSight cameras AND be able to connect to the USB for AA.  The manual says not to mount anything within about 18 inches around the cameras.
I could use a long USB cable and mount it on the left side of the steering wheel, but I want to keep in as clean as possible. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2018, 02:45:07 pm »
I never leave my phone in my pocket, so.....

You carry it with you everywhere you walk?

I love iOttie holders, too. I have non-wireless charging ones in both our cars.
I am having a hard time find a good place to place it in the Forester without interfering with the EyeSight cameras AND be able to connect to the USB for AA.  The manual says not to mount anything within about 18 inches around the cameras.
I could use a long USB cable and mount it on the left side of the steering wheel, but I want to keep in as clean as possible. 

You want to mount it on the dash and use AA at the same time?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2018, 06:33:52 pm »

You carry it with you everywhere you walk?

It's not in my pocket when I drive.

Also, I'm not from the generation of "if I don't have my phone with me at all times I will die".

I frequently shut my phone off from Fri-Sun.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 29, 2019, 02:57:22 pm »
Yay new tires. Nokian Rotiiva AT, “Rugged for all weather”. Would’ve loved to get new wheels but I’ll think about it next spring.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #331 on: March 29, 2019, 02:58:45 pm »
Thats a good looking tire. Looks aggressive enough without having that thrum of the BF Goodrich
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2019, 03:22:28 pm »
Thats a good looking tire. Looks aggressive enough without having that thrum of the BF Goodrich
those are some deep treads...be careful driving down gravel roads...you'll smash every windshield behind you.  ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2019, 03:30:36 pm »
Yeah, looks good on that SUV. :thumbup:

Stock rims look great, IMO, but those black ones in your other thread are nice, too. Get the black ones for winter use with the Blizzaks!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »
I really like the wear indicator

Looks good!

It’s a Nokian signature thing with their winter and all weather tires at least that I know of. Thanks

Thanks! It’s a super quiet tire.

those are some deep treads...be careful driving down gravel roads...you'll smash every windshield behind you.  ;D

So bigger mud flaps next, got it.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »
Looks great! Nice purchase!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 29, 2019, 07:16:46 pm »

Stock rims look great, IMO, but those black ones in your other thread are nice, too. Get the black ones for winter use with the Blizzaks!

Thanks! If I keep the Blizzaks, it’ll be swapped on to the stock wheels and the Rotiivas will go on those sweet wheels.

I like these too.

Thanks!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #337 on: March 29, 2019, 07:30:00 pm »

Thanks! If I keep the Blizzaks, it’ll be swapped on to the stock wheels and the Rotiivas will go on those sweet wheels.

I like these too.

Thanks!

Those are really nice.  How much?  Black wheels like that would look freaking awesome on my white truck.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #338 on: March 29, 2019, 10:11:17 pm »
Looks good, stock size? I think you made the right call, and that wear indicator is cool!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2019, 10:31:21 pm »
Nice tires!

My Contis had wear indicators l like that