Author Topic: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz  (Read 121775 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2018, 04:11:40 pm »
Nice Job.  Little things at a time, and you'll eventually have a perfectly sorted truck.

Are you planning on doing something on the piece of body work beneath the grille and headlights that has peeling paint?

I wasn't going to mention that.....that would cause my eye to twitch and sleepless nights lol

I wonder how it would look if you just plasti-dipped it black or something.  Matching the existing paint colour could be hard. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:31 pm »
I would clean it up, get some paintable rocker guard and a can of matching paint from Ukranian tire and call it a day. I think that would easily resolve the issue coming back for the life of the vehicle.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #302 on: November 30, 2018, 04:36:44 pm »
Thanks, they’re new headlights lol. Yea that lower panel will be next, it appears to be plastic.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2018, 04:38:21 pm »
Nice job and great pic with the truck/clouds/sky.

Thanks, I just got an iPhone XR and the camera is really good.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #304 on: November 30, 2018, 04:59:52 pm »
I'd like to get new headlights for the Highlander but I'm too lazy to take the bumper and grill off, so I just polish them occasionally.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:30 pm »
Ouch! It was two screws and three bolts each side.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #306 on: November 30, 2018, 05:22:38 pm »
Nice job and great pic with the truck/clouds/sky.

Thanks, I just got an iPhone XR and the camera is really good.
XR probably cost more than your SUV   :o

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #307 on: November 30, 2018, 06:56:43 pm »
Ouch! It was two screws and three bolts each side.
mounting, sure...but did you flush and change the halogen fluid while you had it apart??...you don't want that to fail during a night ride home unless you happen to have darkvision of some sort.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #308 on: November 30, 2018, 07:31:19 pm »
I would clean it up, get some paintable rocker guard and a can of matching paint from Ukranian tire and call it a day. I think that would easily resolve the issue coming back for the life of the vehicle.

Yep, that's what I'd do too. The texture of the rocker guard would hide the imperfect paint match (it's always a shade off).

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 01, 2018, 12:46:09 am »
mounting, sure...but did you flush and change the halogen fluid while you had it apart??...you don't want that to fail during a night ride home unless you happen to have darkvision of some sort.

Already on it.

XR probably cost more than your SUV   :o

Lol just about.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #310 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:18 pm »
Nice find!  And great job on the headlights too!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2018, 10:44:10 pm »
Grabbed a couple of Sony XAV-AX100 head units that supports CarPlay and Auto, one for each of our vehicles, for $298 each at Visions. Good way to get some 2015 tech into older vehicles. Plus side is that Sony is one of the few units with a rotary volume knob, albeit a bit small. Doesn’t matter on the Mazda 3 with steering wheel controls but the Sequoia has no steering wheel controls.

Also tried to install a backup camera but no luck getting it to turn on yet.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 10, 2018, 10:08:34 am »
^^That's a pretty nice upgrade, and one that will make your vehicle a lot easier to live with on a daily basis. 

I wish mine had Android Auto. 

I would have a hard time upgrading the factory head unit to an aftermarket one.  A lot of the vehicle functions are tied to the factory headunit.  You can track fuel economy through the big screen, as well as set a whole bunch of maintenance reminders.  You also set vehicle options like how long you want the headlights to stay on after you shut off the truck, or how long the locks stay unlocked after you press the unlock button (they will lock automatically if you don't get into the truck). 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 10, 2018, 10:50:50 am »
That's a great price! Looks like they are now out of stock.

Did the sound quality improve?

I like that it has a volume knob.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 10, 2018, 10:52:51 am »
^^That's a pretty nice upgrade, and one that will make your vehicle a lot easier to live with on a daily basis. 

I would have a hard time upgrading the factory head unit to an aftermarket one.  A lot of the vehicle functions are tied to the factory headunit.  You can track fuel economy through the big screen, as well as set a whole bunch of maintenance reminders.  You also set vehicle options like how long you want the headlights to stay on after you shut off the truck, or how long the locks stay unlocked after you press the unlock button (they will lock automatically if you don't get into the truck).

I hear Toyota is finally bringing Android Auto support soon, but not sure if it’ll be retroactive like Mazda (for a fee). I wouldn’t hold my breath though since they did not make CarPlay retroactive to older Entune 3.0 models.

I feel like picking up a cheap Android phone like Motorola Moto G6 to try out Auto.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2018, 10:56:33 am »

I hear Toyota is finally bringing Android Auto support soon, but not sure if it’ll be retroactive like Mazda (for a fee). I wouldn’t hold my breath though since they did not make CarPlay retroactive to older Entune 3.0 models.

I feel like picking up a cheap Android phone like Motorola Moto G6 to try out Auto.

I would LOVE if it was retroactive, and would probably consider paying.  The Entune 3.0 App for Android (which I need on my phone to have message/audio support between my phone and the truck) is absolutely crap. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2018, 11:02:41 am »
That's a great price! Looks like they are now out of stock.

Did the sound quality improve?

I like that it has a volume knob.

There’ll probably be other deals on Boxing Day. The screen is resistive as opposed to capacitive so there’s one downside but it’s not an issue for me. The screen is also on the smaller side but that’s the only way they could add the volume knob. The volume knob is tiny so it’s not easy to use with gloves on. Also I haven’t been able to find a way to activate Hey Siri or OK Google if connected to Bluetooth so I’ll be looking into that.

I’m using the stock JBL amplifier which already sounds good so no difference in sound quality. I’m sure there’ll be a noticeable increase in sound quality once I get it in the Mazda however.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2018, 11:16:37 am »
Did you need any additional interfaces to get the steering wheel controls to work with the headunit?

Also, you are much braver than I working with plastic trim in cold temperatures.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 10, 2018, 11:31:10 am »
Does it need to be plugged in for AA to work, or can it be done over bluetooth?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 10, 2018, 12:11:02 pm »
Did you need any additional interfaces to get the steering wheel controls to work with the headunit?

Also, you are much braver than I working with plastic trim in cold temperatures.

For the Mazda, I bought a wiring harness that retains steering wheels controls, then for added fine tuning, the settings in the head unit offers customization of buttons and what they do.

The Sequoia was beyond easy to access, two screws and a gentle pull of the panel that includes the HVAC controls.

Does it need to be plugged in for AA to work, or can it be done over bluetooth?

You'll need a wireless Carplay/Auto head unit to use it wirelessly and the cheapest head unit that supports it is $899. I wanted wireless but I didn't think it was worth an extra $600. I'll wait until it comes down in price.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_1304400NEX/Pioneer-AVH-W4400NEX.html?search=pioneer_avh-w4400nex&avf=N&skipvs=T